Why are people's BPM tempo so high?

liem

I have been seeing a lot of tutorials with producers having their beat tempos at 150 bpms per minute but the song is only about 70. Why do producers do that? And how do they do that? (In Fl Studios)

Haha you can double the speed or half the speed, that way you can decide how many bars you have. See what I mean? 70 or 140, that’s the same. You could bend a 70 BPM song with a 140 BPM song, and it would be no problem.

But it’s bullshit because you can choose how many bars, etc. you want to have.

And it may also be for other purposes, maybe some plugins like delay etc. with auto speed detect or auto sync or something similar. But it’s the same really.

Haha you can double the speed or half the speed, that way you can decide how many bars you have. See what I mean? 70 or 140, that’s the same. You could bend a 70 BPM song with a 140 BPM song, and it would be no problem.

But it’s bullshit because you can choose how many bars, etc. you want to have.

And it may also be for other purposes, maybe some plugins like delay etc. with auto speed detect or auto sync or something similar. But it’s the same really.

Mans said it all. Drum step is a prime example of such teniques

Double speed is also useful when trying to limit how small the individual note durations are:

a 70bpm piece will have all of its small durations in the 32nds and 64ths whereas a 140bpm piece will have its small durations in 16ths and 32nds - it is just easier to work with these than anything smaller

If you've ever played march music or high tempo Jazz you know the drill even better - the smallest note durations in these forms tend to be the 16th with everything else being 8ths or quarters or half notes

Language lesson
Note DurationEnglish-European Equivalent Name
whole noteSemi-Breve
half noteMinim
quarterCrotchet
8thQuaver
16thSemi-Quaver
32ndDemi-Semi-Quaver
64thHemi-Demi-Semi-Quaver

I just never understood why it wasn't simpler to use 32nds, 64ths, 128ths, ect. When ypou doubletime everything is off, so your 70bpm "8 bar loop" shows up as a 16 bar 140bpm loop. I can screw you up in the long term if you don't have everything set right depending on your DAW and where the audio will end up at.

I remember a discussion up here where everyone ultimately told me I was an idiot and didn't understand doubletime. I'll give em that. lol.

Last edited:
Long time ago I posted something over at teachers.net which suddenly made the whole double-time/half time idea make a lot of sense for other teachers.

It went something like this:

Writing a piece in 2/2 and doubling the tempo allows you to write 16ths, 8ths and quarters instead of 32nds, 16ths and 8ths in 4/4 at half of the indicated tempo. The former is easier to read at sight; something which a lot of band musicians must do when playing a concert based on repertoire that they may not have looked at for months - ease of reading the notes is of utmost importance in these situations.

From a hip-hop/rap/r'n'b/edm perspective this is a moot point as the "producer" is free to work at any tempo and consequently at any duration level, they desire.

Where I would use the ease of double tempo half durations is to get things right . I would then use one of the many tools in my daws to change the length and starting positions of my notes to half of what they were and reduce the tempo by half as well - i.e. I would prefer to use this as a tool to get certain things like glitch rolls right and then convert back to my original tempo.

I still think this is mostly a throwback to the era of sequencers with a more limited resolution. Doesn't make as much sense in modern DAWs, but then again - if it works, it works.

Back