Why lease beats at $10???

Tallhane

Why lease your beats at $5,$10,$15? I have never really understood that. Yes more people are more prone to buying your beats but I can't see how you are making money in the long run. Maybe, off of royalties but thats if that beat blows up on a song. Can you really establish a name for yourself if you sell beats at a low price? Thats what most of us are trying to do establish a name for ourselves. Do you want to be known as a Walmart... or The Gucci Store? I think people shouldn't sell themselves short. I hear soo many great beats on youtube, soundclick, rocbattle, etc. Beats that are amazing but I see them selling for $5, $10 leasing or $100 , $200 exclusive rights. I believe people should raise their prices respectively, depending on the quality of the beat and grind it out. Yea your sells may go down but I think people will start taking you more seriously because your not practically giving your beats away. If your beats are hot people will buy it regardless what price you set. Its like apple products, people complain about how expensive they are but your going to fork the money because you are buying a quality product and you know you are getting your money's worth. You have to have that mentality.

Do people who lease their beats at $5, $10, $15 make more money than people who have higher leasing prices like $50 or $100? People who sell exclusives for a $100 or $200 make more money than people who sell exclusives for a several hundred, grand or more? Should no namers start low and work to higher prices as they gradually get recognized? Or is it to set low leasing prices and have high exclusive prices? What are your thoughts?

Tallhane

Last edited:
It all comes down to preference, comfortability and your goals.

There are some beat sellers selling beats for less than a dollar and are probably doing well as they are actively marketing and promoting their beats continuously (I receive and observe a popular producer who is doing just that)

On the other hand there are people "trying" to sell beats for hundreds of dollars with no luck and some that are able to successfully sell hundred dollar beats.

I believe the key is to BECOME like a Walmart and Gucci or any other retail store.

Both of these businesses sell various types of product at various prices that cater to their core customer base.

For example: Walmart isnt all just about cheap priced items.
There are many people who simply cannot afford some of the higher end products in Walmart so they'll have to buy a lower-priced product - its all relative.

If you play your cards right, you should be selling $1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, $250, and so on priced beats.

Become like an actual store and see where that gets you.

You'll attract different buyers that have different needs (in terms of afford-ability) ...all you have to do is fill that need.

Do you think Walmart turns down or ignores its customers that can only afford a $1-$10 item? How is it that they have reasonably similar clothing to common clothing lines and sell them so cheaply? Walk down the aisle and you can also pick up a $5,000 TV.

They are all things to all people and they just happen to be one of the most successful retail stores in history of man.

Don't limit yourself to only low priced beats or only high priced beats.

You'll find more success by helping more people.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Whats you website?

^well said. Stick a fork in this post because its done. Don't think anyone can spell it out better than he just did.

true that but isnt it better to have your beat "store" with all prices the same...wat if customers like your 10 dollar beat(s) better than your $50.... this would show that you are setting the prices on how much YOU like them...i say set 1 price for all...if a few are some hot tracks and alot off ppl start to cop it right away then prices for those may go up because they are going to be willing to pay a little extra for good ones....you can do it how ever you like tho..im just saying this might be a good idea for selling beats. -SlermTheProducer

true that but isnt it better to have your beat "store" with all prices the same...wat if customers like your 10 dollar beat(s) better than your $50.... this would show that you are setting the prices on how much YOU like them...i say set 1 price for all...if a few are some hot tracks and alot off ppl start to cop it right away then prices for those may go up because they are going to be willing to pay a little extra for good ones....you can do it how ever you like tho..im just saying this might be a good idea for selling beats. -SlermTheProducer

I still believe you should be all things to all people.

Also, you absolutely do not want to only think of yourself as just ONE producer/beat store selling beats.

There is nothing at all stopping you (besides you) from creating 3-20 different beat stores with different styles of beats, all with respective pricing.

In other words, be the guy that has beats for the buyers that are only willing to pay $5 dollars for a beat AND also have beats for buyers that are willing to pay $500 or $229 dollar beats. Then set a price for a beat that is $39.99 for instance for buyers that are able to purchase your beats at that price.

Be all things to all people and observe your transaction activity.

Observe where your buyers and non-buyers are coming from, where they went after they left your website, and what different sections of your site they clicked and visited.

Those who can produce different beats, AND know how to effectively market those different beats within their respective genre/market, will be able to easily create/provide themselves with the most opportunity to generate an income from selling beats.

I somewhat agree.. A lot of talented producers are essentially giving their beats away.. You price yourself too low and it can also give you a stigma and prevent people from even taking a look at your beats, saying they want "higher quality" stuff for a bit more.

I Feel Like The Reason I Lease Beats That Cheap, Is Because I Can Lease That Same Beat Over & Over Again To Eventually Gain A Nice Profit! But Beat I Sell Exclusively, I Won't Even Post Them Online. I Send A Demo Straight To Big Time Labels. Google Me: Tyte Beats

You've been googled, is this your main profile?

I still believe you should be all things to all people.

Also, you absolutely do not want to only think of yourself as just ONE producer/beat store selling beats.

There is nothing at all stopping you (besides you) from creating 3-20 different beat stores with different styles of beats, all with respective pricing.

In other words, be the guy that has beats for the buyers that are only willing to pay $5 dollars for a beat AND also have beats for buyers that are willing to pay $500 or $229 dollar beats. Then set a price for a beat that is $39.99 for instance for buyers that are able to purchase your beats at that price.

Be all things to all people and observe your transaction activity.

Observe where your buyers and non-buyers are coming from, where they went after they left your website, and what different sections of your site they clicked and visited.

Those who can produce different beats, AND know how to effectively market those different beats within their respective genre/market, will be able to easily create/provide themselves with the most opportunity to generate an income from selling beats.

I had to blog this *hit!

People who sell there beats for $5-20 are not people taking it seriously there only taking it as like a part time job, quick cash. you won't make a living off $5 beats... you would have to sell atleast 4 beats an hour for that to be reasonable and i don't think anyone on this forum could make 4 beats an hour that are quality enough for people to buy. i agree if people want to take this seriously they need to raise there prices.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

I Feel Like The Reason I Lease Beats That Cheap, Is Because I Can Lease That Same Beat Over & Over Again To Eventually Gain A Nice Profit! But Beat I Sell Exclusively, I Won't Even Post Them Online. I Send A Demo Straight To Big Time Labels. Google Me: Tyte Beats

I do not like the idea of leasing beats over and over again just for money. What if one day a dude comes to you to buy the exclusive of that beat for lets say $500...He buy's it, Next day another dude who bought the lease last week comes to you and shows you the song he did to it...it's a gaurenteed hit song and you love it problem is you have already sold the exlusive so you don't own it anymore, what would you do? refund the other dude his $500 and run with the hit song... or be guttered you for the rest of you're life you sold a lease and someone made a hit song off it.

damn this will make no sense to anyone else...3:30am. swagknifechef

It is possible to make $34,965 per year, part-time, if you're just looking for extra income. It's as simple a selling 3500 units @ $9.99 each per year. I think that's good money for a high school or college student. Making more means working harder and smarter for more hours to sell more units; it's that simple. This whole exclusive and no exclusive thing is for the lawyers to manage. All we're talking about is beats. I've never seen anyone get handed $35,000 for a beat, however I have seen albums make $35k and more. So get more involved with people that you want to work with no matter how much you decide to sell your beats for; if you want to "Real Money".

Check this out : )

Last edited:
This is a valid point and certainly requires more discussion. For now, it is a model that is working for many people and it would have to be addressed as part of your agreement with the beat buyer. Again, valid opinion.

People who sell there beats for $5-20 are not people taking it seriously there only taking it as like a part time job, quick cash. you won't make a living off $5 beats... you would have to sell atleast 4 beats an hour for that to be reasonable and i don't think anyone on this forum could make 4 beats an hour that are quality enough for people to buy. i agree if people want to take this seriously they need to raise there prices.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 AM ----------

I do not like the idea of leasing beats over and over again just for money. What if one day a dude comes to you to buy the exclusive of that beat for lets say $500...He buy's it, Next day another dude who bought the lease last week comes to you and shows you the song he did to it...it's a gaurenteed hit song and you love it problem is you have already sold the exlusive so you don't own it anymore, what would you do? refund the other dude his $500 and run with the hit song... or be guttered you for the rest of you're life you sold a lease and someone made a hit song off it.

damn this will make no sense to anyone else...3:30am. swagknifechef

I've never leased a beat to anyone. I've always licensed by beats exclusively. I've even done a few work for hires (I only do this during slow months, when rent is due). I don't think that there is anything wrong with leasing a beat for middle school lunch money. Especially if you have a collection beats that are just sitting on your hard drive and going to waste. Some money is better than no money, however, I wouldn't spend to much time trying to sell those beats. I would just make them available for people online (only). Let people know how old and used they are. If they don't care, then you got $5, $10, $20, whatever. Chances are, though, that they'll want your latest and greatest.

FYI, always show you latest beats first and then tell people about your lease beats.

Last edited:
Spend whatever you can afford to spend to get you projects done. You should keep in mind that the purpose of making music is to eventually sell it to someone at sometime.

Sorry ProducerJC,

should have elaborated on my post. I just set up a soundclick page and have set up shop to make some money off my beats.
What I actually wanted know is if It would be damaging to my career to start off selling beats at $29 or $19 maybe.

This is very tricky for me cause Dollars are not the main currency were I'm from.
And to add to it, I haven't bumped into anybody doing this on my side of the earth.

I cant post links cause I am fairly new to this forum but if you could maybe checkout:
PusherbeatsDotCom

*The "Dot" is obviously a point as in "."
Would appreciate any advice I could get.

Thank you

is $29 too low/high for someone just starting out?

$29 , $2.90 or $290 is fine for anyone starting out selling beats.

Just provide excellent value in the form of your beats and your Beat Store website with tips, resources and information to justify your pricing model to your customer base.

It is also not a bad idea to have a variety of differently priced beats as well as different beat stores selling different types of beats. So one genre-styled beat may justify one price level and another beat genre-style that you sell may be more suitable with a different pricing model.

If you'd like, feel free to check out SellingBeatsOnline for a dynamic collection of information, content and programs for selling your beats on the Internet. You can signup to the mailing list to read the Beat Store Dynamics 2011 online e-book. It has various info for selling beats and marketing/promotion.

Good luck man. Take care.

Some producers would say "Yes" however I don't believe that it's possible to ruin a career. The best way to figure out how much you should charge for your beats is to first figure out how much you need to make every month. If you sell your beats at $29 then you'll need to sell more beats if you have hopes of making a living with your beats vs. selling beats $499 - $999 (if soundclick allows these prices). Whether you're just starting out or you've been doing this forever, the rules are still the same. Get what you need for you beats. If people are complaining about the price of your beats then make better beats or tell them to make you an offer. And, if they don't have an offer or aren't willing to give you the minimum dollar amount that you need, keep the price the same. Chances are that they just want to see how low you'll go on the price and have no intentions on buying a beat, from you or anyone.

Once you're prices are set, and you feel that they are fair, there is little need to change them.

Back