Why do my songs sound empty?

Mouk

It seems to be a problem with every song ive made so far. My songs all seem ok except they feel very hollow, theres no "back-end" to it. Ive tried lots of things but it only seems to make it worse. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Do you have a beat melody and bass to the tracks? Not all have to have these, but this may be something.

Also, experiment with hi-hats, cowbells, triangles, and other percussion sounds, this could help. Play the hi hats and other percussions like if it was another instrument, not just simply a sound.

compression, compression, compression....and multi-band compression...:)
compress everything

edit said:
compress everything
That is the worst advice you could ever give to a newb.

Mouk, Maybe you're not using enough of your stereo, so everything may sound a little too boring. Go to this thread for excellent advice on thickening up the stereo sound. You could also post up your songs so we can see where exactly you're coming from, cos the explanation's slightly vague.

compression, compression, compression....and multi-band compression...

"Stoprushing "is on the money. Use compression sparingly. Compression should be used if needed. To much comopression can squash the dynamics of a composition.

Anyways, do you have any sound files that are posted on the net we could hear to better assist you? Have you tried a counter melody or bass line, as mentioned earlier. Don't over look e.q.ing. In order for a good mix, each instrument should be placed within a certain bandwidth to fill the empty space. they shouldn't fight each other.

Last edited:
edit said:
compress everything

ugh!!! terrible advice.

oh, welcome to FP Mouk - :hello:

the more you fill empty "space" in your songs, the fuller it will sound. unfortunately, the real trick is to fill that space without the different sounds clashing or competing against eachother. much of this is simply achieved by proper use of eq - maybe i should not have said simply, because it is not a simple matter at all!

with that said, there are also some mastering techniqes that can be used to warm up your songs. dont ask me too much about that though, for i am very very new to trying to attempt to start thinking about starting to learn to master - follow me?

anyway, good luck and keep asking questions. more specific the better.

Lot's of great advice already given. I'd also say, listen to songs that you like. analyze them and see how things fit together. I'm always checking out new stuff and old stuff, trying to figure out why that arrangment worked, what sounds are being used etc. You'll find that many songs don't have ton of stuff going on, but the arrangements (how the bass line intereacts with the kick drum pattern, etc..) contribute to the success of the song. The trick is to keep your ears open, find things you dig and make them your own. I've been producing music for many years, and I'm still learning and hopefully getting better. Good luck and have fun.

I also agree that compression is not the best thing to suggest to a beginner. You can always mess with it though and see what you get, but it is better to try other things at first such as some things already suggested.

welcome to fp!!!:hello:

give us a link to some of your tracks so that we can better give advice. there is a thin line between sounding full and sounding too busy. if you dont know where to host music try
www.soundclick.com it's free!!! wish you luck and i hope to help out as soon as you post up some tunes.:cheers:

j-traxx said:
welcome to fp!!!:hello:

give us a link to some of your tracks so that we can better give advice. there is a thin line between sounding full and sounding too busy. if you dont know where to host music try
www.soundclick.com it's free!!! wish you luck and i hope to help out as soon as you post up some tunes.:cheers:

true that :cheers:

If we heard your stuff we could probably tell you. otherwise my guess is your are brand new and these pros have years and engineers.

What's up Mouk and welcome to the forum. What I do is experiment with different drumming "Feels" setting on my drum machine to get that right groove going for my track. Also, I experiment with groove quantize templates to get the desired groove as well (if needed). Another thing that shapes a track is its instrument "Panning". Yea, panning and proper eq setting will always bring track to life. Good luck. :)

hey

do you think this mix is good? If so I'll try to help this guy a little..

Last edited:
A little heavy on the chorus it sounds. It kind of sounds like the vocals are flanging a bit, so that may be it instead.

Welcome to FP Mouk :hello:

Try using a spectrum analyser to see where the gaps in your mix are. The spectrum will show you which frequency bands are being neglected.

It may look like this.. or not :D

[] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []
50hz 2500hz 15khz

anyway, this really bad diagram shows there are no good top end frequencies (usually hi hats, vocal sibilance etc) .

You can get a Spectrum analyser as a vst plugin for cubase, sonar etc or as a standalone application. try www.hitsquad.com

Nice picture!!! Can i get one of these analysers for cool edit pro, cos thats all i got in terms of wave editors right now.

A lack of sounds quantity:

If U have a sampler, sample an entire song, so jyou don't have several tracks but one single track,. Separate it in parts, and go to each part and work in detail adding new layers f sounds. Now you have more espace to record more tracks to run parallel to the sample track.

I could call this "compressing" but not with effects, but compressing several tracks into one,

Lack of programmation or sound quality:

Wider your sounds. This could last several months. go to patch program or edition. Increase complexity inside the patch program. on digital synths, sometimes sounds are composed of four internal waves or even more. If your patches have only one or two waves, add another one, send a wave to left channel and another one to right and the last one on the center. Modify slightly the tune of each wave. Add small differences between the waves, as amp, decay level, filter, filter sens, filter depth, don let the waves have exactly the same parameters.

Create new sounds, don't be afraid to experiment with ilogical wave combinations, go to each of them and add aleatory or random elements. You didn't write the equipment you're using, but is common to find inside the parameters of a patch, some random option, on the LFO, or the filter.

Theoric:

Music, as nature, is a balance between order and chaos. If you quantize too much your music, if you work everything with step-by-recording, your music will sound too "square" or mechanical.
In nature, you can see that the trees have something in common, you can recognize what is a tree, but also you notice that they can achieve ininite forms but they always are trees. Everything in nature always stay in a balance, you know what kind of form a cloud can't take, but you'll never see two identical clouds in your life.

So youy music can't follow a totally predictable pattern, it must have any kind of variation, but always stay with a main concept, the identity of the song. But introducin aleatory values inside a square or mechanical track, will result in more complexity. It must surprise, but without losing the context.

I mean, you problem could be the quantity of sounds, or the quality of them, or the concepts you are manipulating.

I put

A tiny bit of delay on main instros and hi hats and it makes my songs sound a llot more fuller than they were Like 6-27ms on either the right or left channel...Make sure you pan right though.

Back