White labels

D

DJ Haze

What's the difference between white labels and acetates? For example, in music magazines I've seen records listed as "UK White Label" and "UK Acetate". Does the "acetate" just mean that fewer records have been produced? Is a "black label" the same as a white label?
How much does it cost to make say, a one-off white label for yourself, or 10 or 1000 white labels? How are they distributed? Can anyone recommend any good pressing plants in the UK? Do they accept CDR as well as DAT? Thanks.

acetate, r white label in effect they are one off pressing of tracks that are not out on labels or they might be future release, the only differenc is the quality in vinyl acetate, the acetate has a limited life span, so u have to buy it when it comes outs, acetates are mainly testers while white labels are less certain to be released, u also get dub plates which are the same as acetates and last less again

another thing is that acetates are generally given out to test the sound , make sure its been recorded right, make sure the freq's. are okay.

White labels are promo's from the record company (you can often get hold of them in the usual outlets), acetates are usually pressed up by producers/DJ's to test out a new tune in front of an audience.

Dubplates are like gold in drum´n´bass :D A really good jungle or beats dj has 100s of dubs and whities, they get beat up to the platter when they are doing it! Dj Marky just had to give some away awhile ago ´cos he couldn´t find what he wanted or get hold of all his music!!! A huuuuge stack of heavy acetate for sure... I wish I had that "problem" too :D:D:D

[Edited by Alex TC on 02-07-2001 at 12:14 PM]

um.. acetates are a thin layer of acrylic on an aluminum core. they last about 80 - 100 plays before they sound like total hell.

white labels are just underground vinyl releases from 'anonymous' sources. they are usually anonymous because they contain songs or samples that are unlicensed.

some white labels are test pressings tho.. which are just a quick run of vinyl made to verify the integrity of the mastering process.

and if it says DUBPLATE SESSION on the flyer then it's only the latest tunes beind playd. what was sayd above is all true but nowadays the term is used more loosly and often people would say dubplate when they mean brand new whitelable.
i never heard the term blacklable before.

In my are whitelabels AREN'T released by a record label. White Labels are put out independenly and contain accapellas and remixes and instramentals and unreleased material or underground singles and promo stuf that the record label doesn'r officially release.

damn, a lot of confusion out there...

a white label is exactly like a regular vinyl record, it has been pressed, and the label is just plain white, whithout any graphics or text... that's all!

now there are many different reasons why people would press a record with just a white label, it may be that it's a bootleg (with unlicensed samples, remix, etc...) or it could be a test pressing of a record that will later be pressed with a regular label on it, they might make some adjustments for the regular pressing after hearing how the test pressing turns out, or not...

now an acetate or dubplate is not pressed, it is just cut

if you want to make white labels first you have to cut an acetate, and the acetate is used to make plates (like a mold) and the plates are used to press regular vinyl records, so the cost of making the plates is always going to be the same, no matter how many vinyls you press from them, the price per vinyl depends on how many you get, paper sleeves cost extra, and carboard sleves are extra too, and you don't have to make the label white either, you can have the labels printed how ever you want, it just costs more, depending on the number of colors you use, your sleeves can also have glossy full colored graphics, that costs more too, or you can get stickers and stick them on the label, or on the sleeve, or whatever... it all depends on what you want

how much? I don't know... you have to go look it up

Back