What Social Networks are helping you PROMOTE your MUSIC??

Now we are talking about promoting for money. You are into heavy corporate analysis here and I was not talking at that level. So you give out advice assuming that everyone has the cashflow to fund fb and twitter pages. You might be dropping links all around the sea, but people will listen to it. But you know what? I read your comments and I realise that you are right. That does not mean I am wrong, though, I believe. I'll give you an example of a group named Mothaland Funk in South Africa that I personally know. They started out promoting their music on facebook. The free mixtapes, et al. When they have a concert/gig you'll first hear about it on their Facebook/Twitter account. They grew their page to prominence. They promote their T-shirts on those pages. When I throw a link on their music group, they check it out cause they scout for talent. That is a great promotional tool for myself. So if you on the right place on the social networks, you will excel. But that's how I've been doing it and it's been working fine so far. It's not as solid as your methods, but I only started this month and I make money and fans without paying for it cuz I'm broke. *waves white flag*

Ceasefire?

*waves white flag*
No need to wave a white flag. You are not wrong. If you are after views or likes or friendly attention, then yeah, being active on facebook is awesome.
Promoting yourself is a funnel towards sales. That band is a great example except the probably gig and travel and are very active off the internet.
facebook is a reflection of what they do in the real world.

Let's talk IK Multimedia. That's a company that has a sick execution for a lot of ideas. Let's take a second to look at what they do and have done.

1. Make solid products. Their stuff does what it says on the tin. REAL guitarists respect and swear by their guitar plugs.
2. Innovate. They brought us the ARC System. Who saw that coming?
3. Stay current. iphone apps and all the portable gizmos.
4. Listen to customers. iRig and all the DJ and studio stuff are straight from REQUESTS
5. take advantage of their footholds. They had Sampletank as one of the early major 'workstation in software'. They are still running with it like 10 years later.
6. Absorb talent. They snatched up FP's very own Obie. He was on here SHARING TONS of resources. Hand a great blog and gave away FREE DRUMS constantly. He was respected on here (and still is). They seen that and snatched him up. Smart move.
7. Support the host. They didn't just SPAM the forum, they friggin bought real estate. What other company thinks like that? That's a chess move.
8. Also they do what NI also does and give you FULLY WORKING DEMOS of their products. NI does 30 minutes and IK (If they still do) did 30 days. That's enough to finish your project. And they hope you had such a good experience, you'll buy it AFTER using it. Takes confidence in your products.

Look at what they do socially. No one goes on Twitter/Soundcloud or Facebook looking to spend money. The idea is that when you are ready to spend money something from facebook or twitter or wherever else they were seen- jogs you into leaning towards their products. Their wall posts aren't strictly "BUY THIS!" "NEW PRODUCT!" they have someone putting funny stuff and encouraging interaction. Caption this....vote for this...what do you guys think....and all that does is keep them in your minds....

They are sharing stuff other than sales pitches hoping to imprint their brand in your mind.
That's the idea of SHARING --

So now apply that to you as a producer/beatmaker
1. Make solid products. Can a rapper really go far over your beats? Industry ready? Really?
2. Innovate. Still following trends? making what was made last year? What's your twist?
3. Stay current. Still making Boom Bap and wondering why no one under 30 likes your music enough?
4. Listen to customers. Never think you know it all. You create for others while satisfying yourself. It can be done.
5. take advantage of their footholds. You got something special. use that. Whatever it is. religious? inject it.
6. Absorb talent. You don't have to do it all. Accept help when you need it. Someone already does quite well what you are struggling to learn.
7. Support the host. You're only a king in your own castle. When you leave your lands, act like a respectful guest.
8. FULLY WORKING DEMOS Don't be afraid to give away music or your service for free to build a relationship. If it can't help them for free, who would buy it?

Want to be POPULAR on a music forum/soundcloud/wherever....Give more than you take.
Want to be smarter? Read more than you write, listen more than you talk, watch more than you seek to be seen....

The best way to promote your music is to be genuinely friendly, and stop using sales pitches every single step of the way. As a musician you're working towards establishing a relationship with people who find your music to their liking. You don't go door to door asking people to like you, because that just sounds silly. What's funny though is MOST musicians do that very thing, because they don't know how to properly communicate with their target audience. My one rule of thumb that I'm still working on to this day is to always be talking to your audience NOT at them. You're working towards building a relationship, and you can't expect to build a relationship if you're the only one talking.

I hope that makes sense.

Brian

it takes a large time invest and yes a monetary investment as well
read this post here on it
I start off talking about free tools
Time and monetary investment and ROI

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Your offline, face-face grind should be 5X as hard and intense as your online presence.
If the only time you hustle your music is when you're in front of a computer screen, you're losing before you even got into the game.

Griffin dropped a shitload of good info. Thanks.

My 2 pennies:

The big three for most things are: Youtube, Facebook and Twitter

What you don't want to do is make personal accounts for your business side. In other words, make a "Your Nickname" account on those, but keep your personal (eg. John Doe) accts out of the mix.

Second, allow people to follow and like you on all your other pages. Put in Like and +1 buttons wherever you can.

Third, provide a free service if you can and don't be shy to promote other people. Sometimes you can tweet about someone and they will retweet it. Now some of their followers might be interested in you and follow/like you. As for the free service, it can be as simple as announcing great free kits or sales on VSTs. Anything useful from time to time so that people learn that they benefit by following you even if they don't plan to buy a beat.

If you do get customers... this is where you must learn that it is more expensive to make a new customer than it is to keep an existing customer. Start a mailing list for customers ONLY. When you make a new beat, you release a snippet (or tagged version) privately to the newsletter. Give them the opportunity to buy it first. After a week, if no one buys then put it up on your soundclick or Myflashstore (or whatever service).

No, what is it?

Brian

Check it out! jamendo -dot- com
It's a place where people can upload their music to share. Lots of it is interesting stuff.
I like it better than soundcloud because it's well-organized into genres.

If you click "search" and click the bar, you'll find tags to lots of types.

I think it's a good place to post your songs and get feedback. (I hope to start shortly!)

brian

Back