What Should I Buy First??? A NEWBIE Guide

Morning_Star

ProTools + Reason user
This is a guide for what you should buy first if you want to start making music. Mods please look at making this a sticky. There are two groups of people. Beat makers and Recording Engineers. I'm going to assume that eventually you want to do both but you have to decide now, which is more important. Recording vocals or making beats?

I'm going to assume right now that you have a computer and that your computer has speakers. If you want to be a hardware person this is not for you.

First lets talk about the beat makers.

1) Midi controller. Always a first purchase IMO for a beat maker because what's the point if you can't get software to make noise. There are professional producers that do not use a midi controller but it is not common. Buy the cheapest midi controller that has the features you need. An expensive midi controller does not increase the sound quality of your music. Look at M-Audio Oxygen series midi controllers. They are durable, fully featured, cheap, and have great drivers and forums for support.

2) Time to test some software. Download FL Studio, Reason, Studio One, and Ableton. These are great beat making software. Mac users might wanna try Garage Band and later upgrade to Logic. Try them and pick one that suits you. Make sure you watch videos about getting started with them. I'm a Reason user because it comes with all the instruments you need but I also love FL Studio and Studio One. Ableton is not for me but many people love it. FL Studio is a great way to start at only $99. If you choose anything but Reason or Garage Band you will need to get some additional instruments although there are plenty of free ones available. If you are on a pc you will also need to download ASIO4ALL. It's a soundcard driver that allows your stock soundcard to preform like a studio soundcard with low latency.

3) Now it's time to get loud with speakers. I started with bookshelf speakers and a home stereo amp. Here is a list of monitors I like that are cheap and sound great. Passive monitors will need an amplifier such as a home stereo unit from your local goodwill or a yard sale.

Alesis Monitor One mkII passive monitors
Alesis M1 Active mkII active monitors
Yamaha HS50m active monitors
Mackie MR5 or MR8 active monitors

Please stay away from Rokit, M-Audio BX5 (the first models, I have not tried the mkII), Behringer Truth.

4) All about audio interfaces. They allow your computer to function faster and also allow you to hear your music at a higher resolution that will help you make better decisions mixing and choosing samples. They start at $100. You only need 2 inputs and 2 outputs in most cases but choose accordingly. Please consider M-Audio stuff, Presonus stuff, Apogee (mac only), Avid, Motu, RME, and even UA if you can afford it.

5) Sound treatment time. It's always nice to acoustically balance the place a little and also give your neighbors some dampening. Look online for how to build your own or just buy some acoustic foam kits.

Now beat makers are ready to make hits. There will be no excuses because pros have made tracks with less.

Now lets talk to the Recording Engineers in the house. Time to demo software as well. Some require dongles to even try. So if you wanna try protools pick up an iLok. I love protools for the editing and routing features as well as the interface. Cubase is always great and so is Logic, Reason 6, Studio One, or Sonar. So download and test them first. Also you can just download Reaper for free and pay the $60 when every you feel like it. So that's really the first step but it is free (for now).

1) Audio interface. The most important part when your recording vocals. You need at least 2 in and 2 out and a built in mic preamp. This is what dictates the quality of your recording so put the money you can while saving about $300 for a mic. Please consider M-Audio stuff, Presonus stuff, Apogee (mac only), Avid, Motu, RME, and even UA if you can afford it.

2) Mic. Pick the mic for the job. Very few mics do everything well like the Shure SM7b. It's an amazing mic for the money. It should cost $1,000 but only cost about $350. While your at it pick up a cheap condenser mic. The AT2020 is a great starter condenser mic. Other mics I like are the Bluebird, Baby Bottle, AT4040, Bock Audio 195, and Blueberry.

3) Headphones. You need two par and probably a splitter. Get some cheap but durable headphones. Some $20 sony's or if you have the cash HD280's or EX29's for the booth and anything that sounds decent for the engineer.

4) Treatment. Now it's time to reduce room reflection that causes bad recordings. Build a booth or just hang a tent of blankets around the mic.

5) Speakers. Here is a list of monitors I like that are cheap and sound great. Passive monitors will need an amplifier such as a home stereo unit from your local goodwill or a yard sale.

Alesis Monitor One mkII passive monitors
Alesis M1 Active mkII active monitors
Yamaha HS50m active monitors
Mackie MR5 or MR8 active monitors

Please stay away from Rokit, M-Audio BX5 (the first models, I have not tried the mkII), Behringer Truth.

Now you are ready to record. To step up your recordings try a dedicated mic preamp of at least $500 for true pro quality and $1,000 for that million dollar sound. The next upgrade should be a better mic to add to the collection. Great mics start at about $1,000 also.

Don't forget to decide on a software and buy it. I recommend ProTools, Reason, Cubase, and Studio One.

So have fun with it. And buy the right gear in the right order. So you are never re-buying. Also try it out as much as possible before you buy. Always try a couple of mics and mic preamps before buying one. But if you have to order on the internet the SM7b and the AT2020 NEVER sounds bad. As for mic preamps, it's kinda a shot in the dark until you use a couple.

Enjoy, Morning_Star

Last edited:
interesting article. I have decent headphones, but if I got better ones, how would they benefit my music-making?

Morning Star yes this should be a sticky

add headphones to the beat makers area too

why because
most on here that are starting off live with their parents or live in a apt. where you can't make beats on studio monitors all the time
I suggest any $10 headphones for just making beats

I suggest these headphones for doing rough mixes for beat
anything in the $100 range(for those that have the money to really invest in headphones)
don't buy from bestbuy/target,etc
buy from places like Welcome to Sweetwater.com | Call Us @ 800 222 4700
and yes studio monitors are always the way to go to actually mix

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Great advice as always.

I can vouch that you should stay away from MAudio BX series like suggested above. I have the BX5b. I wish a thread like this was around when I bought them, b/c I would've grabbed the Yamaha HS50m monitors instead. The MAudio's give me an extra hurdle I have to jump over when mixing a beat or a song. But.... If I were going to throw a house party.... i'd rather have my MAudio's!! lol. (But i'm not throwing a house party.... i need good monitors to MIX on! not monitors that hype up the bass).

Only thing I would really like to add to this convo is that Firewire outperforms USB2.0. Of course whether or not you actually need the improved performance depends on your situation (ie. how big you projects are, how many tracks you're simultaneously recording, how much power does your computer have etc). But... it's worth noting that better quality interfaces are *USUALLY* Firewire based, and not USB. Emphasis on "usually". For example... Echo Audio interfaces are Firewire only... they seem to be some of the best interfaces in their price range in terms of audio drivers and quality recording/monitoring. I can vouch that the Echo Audiofire4 is a great choice.

Also, it's worth noting that PCI interfaces generally have better latency than all of the above. They're going out of style due to market conditions... not performance issues lol. People want to plug and play... not unscrew desktop, install card, rescrew desktop. They're a great purchase if you have an extra PCI or PCI-e slot on your desktop.

Lastly... I think Focusrite brand interfaces should be thrown into the conversation also. They get good reviews.

oh... and I only personally use headphones 1) for recording (obviously to keep background music out of the recorded take, 2) playback at late hours when loud music is not a good idea, and 3) to spot-check my mix. Other than that... it's monitors all day.

Great post... this should be stickied. No need to ask the "What do I need" question anymore lol. Everything is pretty much covered above

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 AM ----------

interesting article. I have decent headphones, but if I got better ones, how would they benefit my music-making?

I'd recommend saving your money and putting it towards something else listed above.

Monitors > Headphones. Unless of course you don't have the freedom to play your music loud.

Avoid rokits? Rokits are popular as FL Studio, alot of people use Rokits, even professionals.

yeah stay away from the 5" at least there are better choices
JBL LSR2325P | Sweetwater.com
Tannoy Reveal 601a | Sweetwater.com

you really shouldn't be buying any studio monitors under $700 price mark

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Avoid rokits? Rokits are popular as FL Studio, alot of people use Rokits, even professionals.

Glad you brought this up.

I found the Rokits have harsh upper mids, and inaccurate bass response. I used them to produce some tracks in a "professional" studio. (I use that term loosely).

They're great for general playback purposes and listening to your favorite commercial songs. A song mixed under the watch of a real professional engineer w/ great equipment & monitoring evironment will sound great on Rokits. But that's only b/c the commercial song was mixed to translate well across all mediums (car, home theatre, headphones, club, etc etc). It's tough to mix a song to translate well across all mediums if you're using the monitors that Morning Star mentioned above. Sure it can technically be done... the same way I'm sure somebody in the world could technically bake a Red Velvet cake in an EasyBake Oven. But you're putting yourself thru way too much trouble.

If you're building a song from scratch (like everybody here is), Rokits are simply just not a good first choice. You can do better for the same price. You want flat/accurate monitors if you're going to be creating your own music. You need to hear what your music "really sounds like"... so you can get the sound where it needs to be.

Morning Star and others can probably go a little deeper on this... but that's the reasoning in a nutshell.

and BTW--- this is something you can't posibly know until you've experienced it first hand. You can be hard-headed and not listen to his advice... but you're wasiting time and money. Take the good advice now.. you'll be thankful later.

Last edited:
@CPhoenix There was a reason why I didn't mention Firewire and PCI audio interfaces. They both are on the way out. They both will be replaced by thunderbolt since it out preforms both in every way. And USB will be around although the market will be moving to USB3.0.

@UnkNowNGenius Just because something is popular doesn't make it a good purchase. I think it is actually pretty disgusting how popular Rokit monitors are. They have a muddy mid to low range, dull highs, and a very washed stereo image. No pro would ever choose them. They are a marketing gimmick. It's actually very clever. People noticed that Timberland uses Yellow cone studio monitors. Then here come the Rokit series with the same color scheme. Then a bunch of idiots bought them, and everyone else followed like idiots. There are far better monitors for the money if you want a great mix.

No. Not true. Computers have reached a point where they handle music fairly well compared to 10 years ago. And soundcards are pretty universal now. USB is available in any computer. Also it should go without saying that you need the correct port for your soundcard. They only difference is Mac or PC which affects the choices very little.

---------- Post added 08-30-2012 at 05:16 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-18-2012 at 03:47 PM ----------

Bump for sticky???

great read!

this is perfect for someone like me who's just starting out in the music production path.

Thanks for this man

New and proud of it!

Welcome to you! You can introduce yourself here I think if you can send me a PM .. See U

Back