What is good about co-production?

ms. yeap

Ms. Yeap
An experience producer told me that I should start co-producing and look for people to collaborate bcus:

1. to see what the other producer add in and learn from them.
2. it will add more colors and possibility to the production.

I have things pondering in mind though:
1. Any good methods to look for people to co-produce your kinda genre?
2. Can I trust the person that is holding on to my beat for the co-production?

Thanks.

Its just like the saying 2 heads are better than 1. The trick is finding someone that has similiar styles as you and ofcoarse is talented. Producers that aren't established should look to collab so that they can grow as a producer. Collab'ing is fun because you just vibe with the other person and then just produce. Sometimes the idea is there but its hard to make it tangible. But with the help of others it can expand your capacity as a producer.

An experience producer told me that I should start co-producing and look for people to collaborate bcus:

1. to see what the other producer add in and learn from them.
2. it will add more colors and possibility to the production.

I have things pondering in mind though:
1. Any good methods to look for people to co-produce your kinda genre?
2. Can I trust the person that is holding on to my beat for the co-production?

Thanks.

I see it as a balance between different skill sets - I am collaborating at the moment and while my skills from a playing and production and theory perspective are really good, the particular style we are collaborating on makes me the newb and my partner the expert to some degree.
Your questions:

1) Use the collabs section here

2) If you don't think you can trust someone don't get into bed with them........

Right? Have you done any collab? I'm still new so just want to know how does it goes in between sending and sharing files with your collab partner? What if we use a different DAW?

yea agree with afro just send wavs..... the daw save would be as good as any copy write as is almost impossible to recreate

for quickness between sessions, i.e. before final versions; send mp3s (smaller file size and easy enough to convert if needed to load as wav).

Only when you get to final mixes should start exchanging wavs unless of course you are only exchanging 4-8 bars at a time.

Send them the MIDI files if they are asking for them and you are collaborating, I mean why not? You're working TOGETHER right? So if you are working together, send them the files. And straight up, if you don't trust them or it doesn't feel right, don't even waste your time getting a collab relationship started.

If you want them to add to and enhance the track, they will need the source files unless you are just playing everything live then the audio is as good as the midi files.

You can both learn from each other pick up new tricks brainstorm because as the saying goes 'two heads are better than one'

for quickness between sessions, i.e. before final versions; send mp3s (smaller file size and easy enough to convert if needed to load as wav).

Only when you get to final mixes should start exchanging wavs unless of course you are only exchanging 4-8 bars at a time.

When converting to MP3 you compress the audio format and will lose quality when converted back to WAV so I wouldn't recommend doing this.

I've never collab'd before. I would love to do one, but no one I actually hang out with produces the style of music I do, and I haven't networked much to find someone to collab with.

Dude, please re-read the advice - it was about exchanging ideas on the fly not finalising a mix - for that you do use wavs or better yet DAW project files and native audio files.

Having done several collab projects over the last few years, I can tell you that sharing mp3's is much less wasteful in terms of upload/download times than using wavs for the bulk of the work.

you can't be good at everything. its good to make music with people who possess skills that you do not. I am not a guitar and bass player and I am looking for a guitar player to collaborate with and considering learning bass.

Back