What does quantizing drums mean?

It usually means you have a track with stiff and lifeless beats that lack any kind of rhythmic flavor.
You know the answer :)

Last edited:
It usually means you have a track with stiff and lifeless beats that lack any kind of rhythmic flavor.

HAHAHA. lol

Its basically everytihng perfect. on a grid pretty much set to whatever you want. 1/32. 1/16/ 1/8 etc. So its GOLDEN! no flaws whatsoever.

quantizing drums is a process that "snaps" your midi to the grid. That means that instead of hitting a few ms before or after the beat it will hit dead on.
When fully quantized you're gonna get a beat with a rhytm too on point, lacking a human feel to it, which is what griffin is talking about. But quantizing is the process itself of alligning the midi to the grid.

Usually i play in my drums, and if i'm not happy with it I apply a small portion of quantize to it, I think mine is set at around 20%, which means that they will be more on beat, but still have a flavour to them....

When you quantise anything you turn the individual parts into little packets or quanta. The whole concept of quantum leaps is based on the minimum change in size to get to the next sized packet of information or energy or data.

You can quantise
  1. so that the start of the notes are aligned to some predetermined grid or
  2. lengths so that the ends align with the grid (useful for cutting out hanging notes)
  3. ends so that they move to the next/nearest point on the grid
You can apply a groove when you quantise so that you add some swing to the part.

You can choose how much of an affect the quantise has by determining how much quantise to apply (0%=none/no movement, 50% = move halfway towards the quantisation grid point, 100% = full movement to the grid point)

Using and applying quantise is as much a personal thing as anything else in production.

Some folks like to have everything four square and then humanise each part to taste others prefer to enter in real-time and use % adjustments to partially align their parts into a groove.

Means you're making your drummer (or keyboard midi playing synth player) sound better than he or she is! I would not recommend ever using 100% quantize. Always leave it a little human.

I used to record drums with my MIDI controller but it was kind of pointless because I would have to quantize them anyways. I still don't know how to record good sounding drums on FL Studio with a MPD.

Lol i was just about to post something like this. i was going to say "making your song sound robotic and heartless"

Back