What do you guys do when you're about to make a track, but the creativity is asleep?

VOFF

[FONT=&quot]Hi guys. I was woundering what others do when they're at the bottom of the creativity level and have no idea what to do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Personally i can make one track one week that i think is awesome and suddenly my brain is empty and i feel like i'm just gonna stand in this no productive position forever ..[/FONT]

Just take a break. Better to be inspired when you go to create rather than try to force it. You'll just end up in a rut most of the time. Listen to music, watch a movie/tv, go for a walk. Another good idea will come soon.

I work on technical stuff. Like setting up a mastering project (bouncing stems, importing audio files, etc.), beat mapping a song I am setting up, organizing my project folders, computer and hardware maintenance, and so on. Another good thing to do is to go back through and listen to old projects. But when not feeling inspired, I don't make any changes or try to improve on them or anything other than listen (and maybe take some notes of things to work on later).

Also if you're a guitar player for example, changing strings can do wonders if you're feeling 'less musical'. Maybe play around with your pedalboard. Or if you're singer, grab a different mic, and so on. Sometimes just being experimental is enough to pull me out of a slump and sometimes just finding some new material to work on can do it.

Instrument loops are a great way to find inspiration for a beat or song. They definitely help me when i'm try to start something. I found this cool site that actually lets you buy loops individually! Its called urbanmadesounds.com. The price for their packs aren't bad though either. Just making one a day, then a month later, make 2 a day, and every month just keep making more and more till you can bust out like 10 a day. Hope this helps!

Just take a break. Better to be inspired when you go to create rather than try to force it. You'll just end up in a rut most of the time. Listen to music, watch a movie/tv, go for a walk. Another good idea will come soon.

This. If you feel like you do want to get some work done without resting, go work on another track. I either revisit some unfinished projects/cool ideas or just create something new altogether. When I come back with a fresh mind I tend to know what I want to do much quicker than hammering at it will I'm stuck

It changes depending on my mood and situation. Sometimes, it truly is best to just leave things alone for a while and simply watch a movie or television show, though it can be hard for me to do at times because eventually feelings of guilt end up finding their way to me. At times like that, I do end up forcing myself to do some improv and every now and again it'll work out and my mind will find something cool. It's never clear to me what it is I should do, but it's always a joy all the same to hop on FL Studio even if I only end up with duds at the end of the session. Sometimes, at a later point in the future, those duds can evolve and become something worthwhile, and you'll wonder what you were so worried about in the first place.

Back