What do I need to really get started?

Ruve

Ruve
Hey, I'm an electronic music fan from Atlantic Canada. I've been listening to EDM extensively for about 5 years now, and I've decided I'd love to actually produce. I know a bit about song structure, and I've been told by a couple of people that the best DAW to use would be FL Studio (since I'm on a PC, and a beginner). Besides decent speakers + headphones, and FL, what else do I need to set up a basic little studio, in terms of gear?

Aside from what you already listed, the next 2 items on the list are usually a MIDI Keyboard for playing the virtual instruments you'll be using in FL, and an Audio Interface for running various instruments and mics into/out of your computer. (You may not need this right away, but I got one to start with, and my MIDI runs through it.)

Other than that, take plenty of time to learn FL or whatever DAW you end up on. The more familiar you are with the software, the easier it is to get rolling.

I suggest these two VST for your sounds
1.Massive
2.Sylenth1

and there are tons of free drumkits out there designed for trance,dubstep,techno,etc...
so a lot of hard pump bass drums,clap,snares

I like Sylenth1 and Massive because I'm a preset slut

but with these two vst you can make your own presets as well

-Coach Antonio
My ebay Store

if you wait to go hard-ware based yes a Akai MPC could help
I use a Akai MPD16 which is just the pads and hook it up through USB for doing MIDI recording with FL Studio's FPC VST

but I'm probably confusing the guy now

just download demo of different DAW and try them out

I love FL Studio
but
some
love
Albeton Live

or Reason

-Coach Antonio
My ebay Store

Dude,

I've been producing for 5 months now, and use FL Studio, without any complementar gear.

As Coach Antonio said, Massive is a great VST, I use it for almost any sound I want to. Still, I'm getting the hang of FM8 (also from Native Instruments) for my basses.

As for drums, I use sample based sounds, you can find thousands of good ones for free with a little googling.

I advice you to search youtube for tutorials on both Fl Studio (Image-Line has a YT channel, btw) and the VSTs.

Dude,

I've been producing for 5 months now, and use FL Studio, without any complementar gear.

As Coach Antonio said, Massive is a great VST, I use it for almost any sound I want to. Still, I'm getting the hang of FM8 (also from Native Instruments) for my basses.

As for drums, I use sample based sounds, you can find thousands of good ones for free with a little googling.

I advice you to search youtube for tutorials on both Fl Studio (Image-Line has a YT channel, btw) and the VSTs.

^^^it all comes down to research homie
don't just go to the car lot
know what kind of car you want and your budget
budget being a big thing(don't get gear-lust right away)

Sweetwater.com is a great place to look at gear to fuel your gear-lust as well

-Coach Antonio
My ebay Store

Basic hardware produce:

Monitors
Interface
Midi controller with keys and/or a pad controller
A good sounding space to produce in

You don't really NEED anything, but these are all a very good idea to have.
Good monitors so you can hear what you're doing
Interface so you can run your program smoothly (a good one will be much better than your built-in soundcard, a notsogreat one will be maybe a tiny bit better), provide good sound for your monitors to amplify, hook up your keyboard (unless it's a USB keyboard), and record things when the time arises.
Controller so you don't have to use your mouse and/or QWERTY keyboard to create midi notes... that's for the birds. Too time consuming.
A good sounding space so your monitors will give you a better picture of what you're hearing.

yea id agree with RAKIDO on the youtube tutorials. Visit howtomakeemusic on youtube or howtomakeelectronicmusic.com this guy has some amazing videos for fl studio that really helped me out with EDM!

Well, a computer is essential.. and so is a brain.

I would prefer utilizing a DAW opposed to pots and pans though.

I have flstudio and a cple monitors .I don't have a soundproof room because i don't record .I have a mpk mini at the moment and i want a bigger one lol,it serves me fine tho.Nexus ,and sylenth are great I have dune as well. Now there are free Vsts as well that u can use,also Free drum kits .

Back