What is the best set of equipment that I can get

total212

I've started being able to create melodies and I record them on a voice recored with my voice. I want to:

a) learn music theory (I have three the best books for this topic and I will be using what is available on the Net, also paid courses, I think)

b) learn how to play piano (I have 7 the best books for this and I am planning to purchase Flowkey, lifetime version; I am still looking for a better solution for learning how to play the piano at home; I've seen things like keyboards with lit keys that show a person what key should be pushed; this also comes with stripes that show what key to push and how long one should hold it and also with note signs as well; anyway just loooking for the best thing which may also be an expensive option so I am not sure; I know that a teacher is the best so I may need to get one at some point as well)

For this I may be getting Roland FP-30, but I am not sure about this choice. It is the best entry-level piano (relatively low price) and a better otpion would be Yamaha CP 88 but this is something that is four times more expensive that the Roland's one.

c) get Ableton Live 10 Suite and Ableton Push 2 (I am sure about these choices, I know that Push 2 is the best thing for controlling the Ableton Live). This software will be my main focus as far as the edu goes and my goal will be to make something like dance / house. I will also get all the books related to electronic / dance / house music production (not all, but I will pick the good ones). Also obviously the Internet, paid courses, things like this. I may also go to a one year electronic music production in the place where I live (24 meetings, not a very expensive thing; the best place in the area where I currently live)

I would like to get a good controller (I know that integration with Ableton Live is an important thing) and I am not sure what is the best piece of equipment that I could pick. I am thinking the best model of Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol, some other person mentioned (as recommendation) Arturia Keylab 88.

I am also in the mindset of 88 keys for the controller but I am not sure if this is a needed thing (and good thinking).

It would be the best to get something that can serve as a stand-alone digital piano and an Ableton Live controller at the same time, but I am not sure if something like this exists.

So to sum it up:

- music theory / piano theory / playing the piano / playing piano from notes
- Ableton Live 10 Suite / Ableton Push 2 and house / dance / edm music production (also learn how to make music from samples, something like reverse engineering the Daft Punk - "Homework" and trying to learn from this)

And my main question here what is the best digital piano / keyboard-based Ableton Live 10 controller that I can get?

Does it make sense to pick one thing and use it for both of these purposes (learning how to play piano and controlling Ableton Live 10) or would it be better to get into mindset of finding two separate things (so this could be Roland FP-30 and maybe something non-88 keys with good integration with the software and maybe also relatively cheap, but not necesarily, as this could be the final piece of equipment that I would be using for this <for like 5 years>)?

Basically what I should do with this, what could I get.

(I will add that a furhter direction may be Arturia DrumBrute or some other drum macine, bass synthesizer from Novation as well as Novation Ultranova, as somebody has recommended this).

So:

- Ableton Live 10 Suite
- Ableton Push 2
- (Roland FP-30)
---> what controller should I get and do I really need the 88 keys (if 1% yes and 99 no I would still get it as I want to have the very best thing)

Thank you in advance for any info that I could get. Basically still researching the topic and trying to make the very best choice.

I guess if you're hell bent on getting both a digital piano and a (keyboard) controller, get a full-size piano and the controller with the features that you want (over the number of keys). I personally think 88 keys is only really needed if you're playing actual piano parts (and even then people have gotten by with less). Have to say I'm not quite up to what the newest/current controllers can do as I haven't had a dedicated controller for a few years, but there's plenty of insight out there on these. I'd still suggest a trip to a music store if at all possible, if only to get a feel on what different manufacturer's controllers feel like, even if you're actually buying online.

As for Push 2 - not really questioning it (I have Push 1). It's a good controller, and probably the best physical manifestation of Live's interface, but there are plenty of scenarions where one would choose something more sophisticated for a certain task. But if you just want an all-around controller for Live, it's great. It's not super intuitive imo and doesn't really adjust to your workflow but instead you'll have to adjust to how it works, but once you get the hang of it it works well.

My current thinking is:

a) Ableton Live 10 Suite

b) Ableton Push 2

c)

- Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 MK2 (the best but expensive; it fits with Komplete <like Komplete Ultimate and the software that is contained within the Komplete lines>; I can get it in a set with other things from them and save some money). So yes, #1 thing, but not 100% happy and expensive, some people got rid of it after buying, things like this. So the best but with negative aspects (price, not enough integration with Ableton Live 10)

- Arturia KeyLab 88 (this is "or", as an alternative to the first, probably second best choice)

d) Flowkey (software for learning pianio). I will be looking if there is something better than this or maybe less expensive. Like the best thing for learning at home.

So Roland FP-30 (entry level digital piano) not needed as I can use either Komplete Kontrol or Arturia Keylab 88 with my PC and also Flowkey at the same time. People told me that I could also do Ableton Push 2 plus Roland FP-30 (and use this one as a standalone instrument for learning how to play piano and also the keyboard controller for Ableton Live 10, with Ableton Push 2).

So something like Ableton Live 10 Suite + Ableton Push 2 + Komplete Kontrol (plus Komplete Ultimate, lets say the Ulitmate) / Arturia Keylab 88 is what I would get. And just skip the Roland FP-30.

e) secondary equipment that would add value:

- Arturia DrumBrute
- Novation Bass Station II
- Novation Ultra Nova

(It takes time to get familiar with new equipment and it obviously costs more money too to get it). Also sound packs from Novation.

Is this on a good path (or the best). Any other ideas / thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Another layer of this edu will be getting the sounds (and figuring out what could be the best prior to that). My current idea is:

- Komplete (lets say Ultimate, but this can be too much)
- Arturia (they seem to be #2 for this)
- Vengeance Sound (I've come across it so far and it seems like it is worth mentioning it here or getting into this).

I wont have like unlimited amount of time for doing this so it would be good to narrow it down, to strictly house, what is the best for house, and probably also the current sound as one needs to follow the trends (or it would be better, in my opinion as one does not want to sound like 90s and so on).

So yes, sounds, where to get this?

Thanks!

I guess the FP30's usefulness in this scenario would be - as you said - its standalone-ness. Being able to just turn it on & play is nice, but how much that weighs on your scales is of course highly subjective. I'd personally go the high-end controller (the NI unit or the Keylab) & software route, probably.

As for the "secondary equipment" - dunno, I guess they're all fine choices if not my personal favourites. I've never been very interested in the Nova series (the Peak is great though), and the Drumbrute seems a bit quirky...but as said, subjective. I'd probably find an use for all of these.

Back