VST and Plugin Folder Organiztion....????

Chew_Bear

Do you guys organize your plugins folder by 'type' or by 'brand/manufacturer'...???

Right now I have my VSTs folder organized by manufacturer but I am thinking it should be by type as than it would be faster to distinguish between what type of plugin and/or VST you need when recording, mixing or mastering.

Any tips and suggestions would be appreciated.

I just have one main VSTplugins folder inside of c:\Program Files. Inside of that, each VST effect or instrument gets it's own folder so that no data files get spilled out into the main folder. Also it's easier if I want to delete a VST; I just drag it's folder into the trash.

All the categorization of types is done manually within Reaper. I don't classify my instruments at all, just the effects according to the type. I have about 12 different compound categories such as Pan/Imaging, Dynamics, Chorus/Phaser/Flange, PitchShift, Delay, Reverb, Utility, etc.

I try to avoid VST3's entirely; I don't see any advantage to that type at all.

There is one thing I am really confused about.....

I noticed that there are 2 main COMPONENTS/VARIABLES about a 3rd party vst/plugin manufactuer when installing them on your computer.....

1. A (.DLL) file that is the 'primary' driver/extension that the computer/DAW will look for to open the plugin.

2. Other Miscellaneous files the manufacturer decides to 'bundle' or include with its plugin folder structure. Mostly text docs, PDF's and other misc files for whatever the plugin needs to run correctly (some with weird file extensions).

So.....

1. Should you keep ALL of the files that come with a VST/plugin....."IN-TACT"....???

As in...you should never take anything out of the main folder and you should never rearrange the file structure that the manufacturer has already created for the plugin.....???

.....OR......

2. Is it possible to rearrange (take out) the files in any structure or file naming convention that suits your style or workflow better.....???

Because....since I noticed that the DLL file is the MOST IMPORTANT FILE that the DAW looks for.....What I did to organize my plugins folder a little more to how I like visually and naming wise....

I started 'REMOVING' the DLL file from the main plugin folder and I basically 'lumped' ALL my plugin DLL files into 1 BIG FOLDER that I call....."PLUGINS DLL".....

I also "RE-NAME" the files in a naming convention that I like and prefer and that is easy for me to locate and distinguish which plugins I need/want inside Ableton's browser window.

Than....in Ableton's preferences....I set the "PLUGINS DLL" folder as the 'main plugin' folder/directory for Ableton to scan when searching for 3rd party plugins.

Than.....I basically 're-name' the main manufacturer's plugin folder according to my own naming convention and I 'lump' ALL of these files into 1 BIG FOLDER that I call "PLUGINS FILES".

Its worked out fine and 'flawlessly' for most of my 3rd party plugins.....

But.....I did run into a couple plugins that did NOT work correctly....

And I figured that it might be because I am taking 'out' and separating the DLL file from the other files that the plugin 'needs in order to work correctly' because I think they all need to be together in the same folder structure (i.e. the one the manufacturer created/specified/intended).....correct.....???

HELP.....!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

This is really annoying me and bugging me as I HATE some of the file naming conventions and folders these 3rd party plugin manufacturers create (imo sloppy/unorganized and not clean to look at) and I would like to be able to create my OWN FILE STRUCTURE and than just name and put files where I deem them to be and still have everything work flawlessly in the DAW....regardless of where I put these files and what I name them.

There has to be a more SIMPLER method/way out there....right....??? (i.e. kind of like the one I am doing)

Whats the "Standard" or usual way that all producers/engineers will organize their VSTs and plugin folders....???

Do some of you guys make your own file naming convention...?? Do you remove or re-arrange files also because it looks nicer, neater and more organized....???

Last edited:
That...hm. That's interestin tbh. Pdf shouldn't even affect anything but that depends on the registry's default place for certain plugins or whether or not they were moved to a new location after an install.
Doesn't affect em negative-less but haven't come cross one that would be. Moving something will get it removed or missing error unless the new location is scanned.

Here is an example of what I mean.

This is my current file naming convention and structure for VSTs and plugins….

1. “PLUGINS DLL” (Folder with nothing but plugin DLL files) (This is the folder I designate Ableton to scan for when searching for 3rd party plugins)

AUDIO DAMAGE __ Rough Rider Compressor.dll
CAMEL AUDIO __ Crusher.dll
SEVEN PHASES __ Spec. Analyzer.dll
VOXENGO __ Spec. Analyzer.dll
XFER __ DJM Filter.dll

2. “PLUGINS FILES” (Folder with Folders of plugin miscellaneous files)

CAMEL AUDIO __ Crusher (folder)

-- CamelCrusherWin-1-0-1-x32 (app)

-- CamelCrusherWin-1-0-1-x64 (app)

VOXENGO __ Spec. Analyzer (folder)

-- 32-bit VST (folder)

----- Icon_ (icon)
----- License Agreement (txt)
----- Plug-In Setup Help (word)
----- Voxengo AnSpec User Guide en (PDF)
----- Whatsnew (txt)

XFER __ OTT Comp

-- Install_Xfer_OTT (app)

And so on, and so on...yadda yadda yadda.....you get it.

So far...

I like it like this as its a file naming convention that I like and understand and that I think looks nicer and cleaner and more organized to work with inside Windows explorer and Ableton's file browser.

Last edited:
I might even take pictures and post it up for you guys so you guys can get a better assessment of what I am actually talking about.

Got me thinkin about foldering individual dll's now darn it.
But kinda glad this was asked, didn't event think about something like that till you brought it up.

Back