Time for sampling?

E

Easy_J

Does anyone know the tme allowed for a sample before it is a copyright hassle? I know it used to be 8 seconds beat, 3seconds voice, but that was about 6 years ago. if correct at all.

actualy no...

it is illegal to sample ANY length of copyrighted material.
It is so complicated people get confused, and even pissed. It is actually a HUGE issue nowaday because some people only use samples to compose, without being aware of the consequences.

I tell you what.. an example to show you how big this thing is:

Fat Boy Slim was attacked in court by the attorneys of Jimi Hendrix, because a sample at the end of one of his songs SOUNDED LIKE hendrix. The court and the experts realized that the sample was NOT hendrix... BUT FATBOYSLIM LOST the case!

true story!

meaning: people dont joke about this at all...

If you do sample someone, you shouldnt sample huge artists but old stuff, write down the name of the original artist somewhere, contact the label owning the rights, and pay them. I dont know how much or what, but i know it works like this because this is how the artists explain how they do when they talk with the press.

Apperently Gusto bought the rights to an old Kruppa sample for Disco's Revenge for only $500 US. Good deal for him, seeing as the song had quite good commercial success.

Back