For those who make beats

acs

I'm just wondering what most of you do with your beats that you make. I've checked some of 'em out on the links that are there, are you offering them up to mc's for purchase or what? I assume that is the main intention for most but just wanted to check. Also, how well do they sell?

ill speak for myself

i been sellin beats (online) for only a few months and its pretty slow
the problem for me is finding hungry enough people who are willing to pay
since there are so many beats that are free you gotta make ya product mad HOT or people wont bite
we are getting a few sales here and there but nothing big
just alot of broke emcees who want handouts

we give some beats away for free for promotion but are serious stuff starts out at $50

we also sell demo beats for battles/freestyles/demos
those are on a $30 CD and it comes with 30 beats so $1 each

peace doggy

With the internet, pirated sample CD's and the huge availability of any drum software, it is getting veeery hard to convince anyone to 'buy' beats.

Unless you know the people, or they have some sort of a personal connection to you, it is extremely rare. Most would say that it's not worth the time+effort.

But I've always thought that you wont get any bites if you dont throw out a line in the first place :)

-tim

BTW sorry for the fishing analogy :)

aintactin said:

we also sell demo beats for battles/freestyles/demos
those are on a $30 CD and it comes with 30 beats so $1 each

peace doggy

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: Man, i understand starting from the bottom and making your way up but that just dont sound right.

:bigeyes: Here's a crazy tought: some people make tunes for the feeling you get then...

Maybe some ppz have to realyze that music isn't a way to get
rich but a way of living. Btw: This is the Newbie Board - So why
selling beats if you're a noob... Just follow the way every
producer did - try-try-try-get better-try-try-try.

Peace.

N]N3 said:
:bigeyes: Here's a crazy tought: some people make tunes for the feeling you get then...

Maybe some ppz have to realyze that music isn't a way to get
rich but a way of living.

Peace.

Just an opinion here, and i could be totally wrong. i think people who make hip hop beats are only doing it for the money. if they weren't doing it for the money, they'd write complete songs and not some 30 second loop without words. People who write beats are waiting for someone to complete their songs by rapping over them. i don't see the point in writing an incomplete song if i'm not going to get paid for it.

If you're not making hip hop beats or instrumentals for others what do you do with your projects? Make mix tapes of your own stuff and try to sell, give away or whatever? Collaborate with people? I'm just wondering what other people are doing with their ****, I basically am just making beats to scratch over half the time and layered instrumental tracks the rest.

leave it to some kid from Cleveland to sell beats online.

just kiddin man, big up to midwest(and cleveland)

I haven't had a problem.

I get between $100 and $300 a beat. I've never had 'boke mc's who want a hand-out'. This world is definately not short on aspiring mc's who got mad loot and no beat-making talent. If you got good beats, they buy them. I sell at least six a month. Y'all need to STEP UP YOUR GAME!!!

I sell my beats on-line only, I don't even do anything local..haven't tried yet. I sell my beats for $400-$1,500 each, off my website. I make between $3,000-$8,000 a month off of sales.

Selling your beats is possible but don't expect to sell them like crazy your first year, you might get a few sales but no big deals. Just make your beats hot and promote your music and people will start buying.

I would say : if you get a maximum of $1500 a beat: what beats do you make? are you Snoops Producer or what? Last question: how does the payment works? I really do not get a clue of this online selling ****. Sorry f/ the English ( from Belgium ).

I see that a lot of you have websites with your beats on them. Is that your main mode of advertising or promotion? Do you just rely on mc's or whoever to find the site by searching or is there a network that helps out?

my opinion:

the best way to promote is buy joining a bunch of hiphop(or wuteva you doin) forums and posting ya link...just like future producers
some allow you to link your streans right in your signature so when someone clicks the player your soundlick page gets a play

linking up with other producers and doin banner exchanges brings traffic too

you never know what could happen
my site got twice the hits after i did a banner exchange with hiphop directory.com

im just sellin beats to make a name for myself as a producer
thats why they so cheap
it may not sound right that they $1 each but you cant buy em and do a album with em
you can only freestyle/battle/ do ya demo with em
they in the bank!

most demo deals are atleast $100 so we just giving people beats so they can record their demo at their house

its slow but we gettin a few buys here and there
it pays the internet bills so i cant complain

u can earn mad loot in cleveland. shyt go up 2 the bottom line and try 2 sale ur beat. go on hiphop night cause emcees are week as fukk but need them beats

beat selling promotion details

Some of y'all have mentioned promoting online to move them beats 4 sale(Sho -Down,aintactin)..

Any specific ways, or could you explain more of how you did it personally (banner xchanges, etc) ,should I be on MP3 AND Soundclick..what service got you more responses...any ideas for us who are startng out in the beat leasing n selling biz....
SHo, I hear ya, Im looking for online sales ...locally is pretty much hopeless here...:(

One

Re: beat selling promotion details

blazemyl said:
Any specific ways, or could you explain more of how you did it personally

While I'm not at the point where I'm ready to do it myself, I'm very impressed by Sho-Down's approach. He has a nicely scaleable system that covers a wide-range of targets (my apologies to Sho-Down if I've misunderstand part of his process):

1: Single loop samples, useable for demo purposes, to allow people to hear your work. These are free but require you to sign up to a mailing list, which provides you with a growing userbase to market to.

2: Compilation CDs of those samples, including new material not otherwise posted but grouped into collections of similar style loops. Sell these as cheaply as you can ensuring you cover production (and maybe hosting) costs....these aren't the meat of your sales, this is just more advertising of your material.

3: Provide a leasing option which provides limited use of the loop. Where possible, try to retain the right to use the loop as part of your marketing; posting a loop with references to who has used it and where provides potential customers with a musical context to assess your work in. Plus it shows you're selling your work..."nothing succeeds like success" is cliched cos it's true :)

4: Provide an outright purchase option which exclusive use rights. Definately the big ticket item. If you're ever signing away permanent rights to something you've created, at least make sure you feel you're being suitably compensated for it. (It's also worth your time to look into the process behind conferring more limited 'exclusive' rights ie retaining the ability to sell the same loop to, say, someone producing an album and someone else writing an advertising jingle. Or at least trying to ensure that your contribution is recognised and rewarded if said album producer sells the rights to the track with your loop for advertising purposes.) Being able to continue to make the loop listenable along with a reference to where it has found its home is also invaluable for your rep, just as in #3.

There's a smooth scalability to this approach that really impresses me.

should I be on MP3 AND Soundclick

Unless there's a policy on either prohibiting it, I say post them everywhere you think they're relevent.

I hope all this ranting helps :D Good luck with your efforts!

[edit to fix up minor typos]

Last edited:
ya, i sell about 10 beats per week for about 50,000 each

jk jk

if you really wanna sell your beats they have got to be like most people said, GOOD!

even if its a ****en 30 second loop or even a 5 second loop, you've gotta work on it for hours and hours until it is as good as it can possibly get

then, you need peeps to hear them, your main target being mc's, ones who happen to be serious about their game

Back