Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 84

Thread: Things I've been learning while at school

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    498
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Things I've been learning while at school

    Sign in to disable this ad
    So I currently attend an audio engineering school in Tempe AZ (I wont mention the name but yes its that school)
    And I have learned A few big tips that have opened my eyes to Audio Engineering and Producing in general thought I'd share ten eye opening experiences (not in any specific order). Also if you dont agree tell why or if its redundant just ignore it was intended for ppl just starting out

    10. You dont have a studio. Lol this is like day one at school. Technically a studio is the room where the band performs. The control room is where the engineer is at with the console and the iso booth is well just that an iso booth. Also studios are treated and have floating floors to help with rumble. Instead of wasting your money recording in an inferior room and letting you talent go to waste buy studio time in a pro studio. If you want afford that than save. There's not Walmart of audio. Also you should pay to mix your beats to maintain the highest quality of sound if you not good at it.

    9. You can make a shit load of money in live sound!!! I dont know why I never see ppl chatting about live sound but I think its where the money is!!! A year ago a former grad was interning with taylor swifts crew and he is now her in ear monitoring engineer. He makes 5k a month! Also since most ppl cry about the mixtape game and how artist go tour off mixtapes isnt it a good idea to learn live sound since concerts are still a great source of income for artist. I believe Rihanna made 90 Million last year of her tour.

    8. Learn to solder!!! Its a must in live sound. And also if you want to intern at studio. Patchbays are a pain in the A** and most have to be soldered. Also if you can solder you can make cables that are just a good as monster cables but 3 times cheaper!

    7. Stop buying crappy gear. Seriously this goes without saying. Ive answered a lot of questions about ppl asking is this okay or that...you know its not. When ppl say "I'm hear noise when I record" the common answer is check your cables but if all is well your just witnessing low inferior gear. (Its actually a good thing you realized it) now you know stop buying crap. Buy the best have it for life.

    6. Learn how to read transient response graphs and frequency response charts. I have found so many mics that have very similar frequency responses to u87's. A MXL v69 ME is a great mic for 299 and it has a similar response as a u87 the high end is a little sharp but if you tilt the mic 45 degrees of axis the highs roll off. (Illmind used this mic to record Skyzoo's mixtape) and it sounds great. Also you get to learn how do things compare in sound. Beats by Dre headphones are good but so are Sennheiser hd280 and cost one third of Dre's but sound just as good maybe even better

    5. Stop calling yourself a producer. I know this one seems a little disrespectful but the game of this forum is "future producer" not current producer. Ppl be like "I've been producing for ten yrs and want to finally step y game up what a good mic under 100 dollars?" WTF if you are a real producer you would know that. I've been guilty of it too but I have since stopped bc its disrespectful to Quincy Jones

    4. Read the Manual before buying the gear!!!! Please read it. Stop asking how to do something before reading the manual. Also I will let you know how it works and if it is suitable for you. I have been looking for a console for two months and I have read several manuals to see how they work. Most fall short bc of my price point and my needs. But at least I didn't buy the console that find out its not ideal. So read the manual before you buy!!!

    3. Watch Pensaco's place - Pensado's Place - ITL #31 - Hardware Compressors and EQs - YouTube its so informational and you get to see a great engineer work and it will show you little tricks and tips to improve your overall sound. Learn how to get your mix like "Johnny Juliano or Vybe Beatz" LMAO

    2. A.This is a two parter. There is a thing called "producer mode" lol. This is funny to me but its true. Inline consoles have a big and small fader and most usually have a flip or rev button that will switch which fader that is going to the mtr (tape or daw) it is useful because if your working with Madona and her daughter is in the control with you and she says I want to hear mommy's vocals louder and the most logical thing for her to do is reach for the large fader. Every one knows the large fader turns up the volume (it doesnt do that lol) but if you slap her hand away you get fired. So put it in producer mode and let her have at it. She doesnt mess up the tape and you dont get fired for slapping Madona's kid.

    B. Most "producers" in hip hop are not producers. They be in producer mode two and dont even know it...lol but my reason for this one is bc as I have become more aware of the music industry I have been let down by most ppl. Producers know everything about everything. I dont know how many times I watched interviews of producer's and they get asked a technical question and they cant answer it. But Dr. Dre gets slammed for not making every beat. But ask him why he tracks in his vocal chain. Diddy is another prime example of a producer who doesnt make beats. But he's more of the "I want her vocals to sound like shes wearing pink lipstick kinda producers lol if you get my drift) I love Diddy! LOL They're is two of the few real producers in Hip Hop. You gotta give thim all praise. I dont dis any one who makes beats bc I do too and you can still make a gang of money but just know the difference between the two.

    1.School is the best way to make it happen if you want to work in a studio!!! I know most will debate this but if you want to work in an elite studio you need to go to school. Oasis studio in LA only takes students from my school. Eddie Krammer assistant Engineer is also a former grad. We have some instructors that have worked with Stevie wonder, Michael Jackson , price, Paris Hilton (BIG MONEY) and so many more. The thing about school is that the intern dept and instructors have made the relationships and networking already. They go to bat for the their students and have travel to NYC to convince studio managers to give their students a job. 54 nominations at this yrs grammys. And 28 winners is a damn good look. Some have even worked on the watch the throne album. Also you get to see what standard gear is so you dont buy crap. You get to use it too. I'm pissed I cant afford a good pair of monitors but at least I know what they sound like so when I am able too I'm not wasting my money. Also you learn from pros that have tracked vocals with Stevie wonder (and had a session crash on him lol) those stories give you invaluable info that you cant find on forums. Learning Pro tools is cool but you need to really know it. like how to get passed a password protected file in pro tools with out the password. or how to get back a corrupted file when Stevie wonder is cussing you out (talk about pressure) Also you get to learn analog first!!! we get logic when we start but we dont dive into recording into a daw until 15 weeks in. The first 15 weeks are recording to analog tape.

    I just wanted to share some eye opening experiences I have had while on my journey...to the ones who are working in the industry share a few!!!

    Also I'm thinking of doing a weekly video of tips I learning while in school. Would any of you be interested and what topics in general would interest you. Keep in mind my school is super crazy about recording sessions or class time with a video camera. Thats the reason why you never see any sessions on youtube (and why I never mentioned the name lol). Its prohibited! but I may try to turn my laptop camera on during my next session. I'm recording to analog tape than gonna transfer to pro tools later. Full band!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    475
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    5. Stop calling yourself a producer. I know this one seems a little disrespectful but the game of this forum is "future producer" not current producer. Ppl be like "I've been producing for ten yrs and want to finally step y game up what a good mic under 100 dollars?" WTF if you are a real producer you would know that. I've been guilty of it too but I have since stopped bc its disrespectful to Quincy Jones
    This #5 is funny here. Good info and congrats for pursuing something you like. Dont forget to graduate. But, most guys here dont want to 'work' in a studio, they want to sell beats. They want to BE Dr. Dre or Puffy. And those guys didnt go to school. So your arguments may fall on deaf ears. But to the contrary, you make valid points on learning and the benefit of learning everything about music and the related. Its one thing to make a beat, but its quite a different thing to create a song or record an artist or band. The real engineers of music are the true magicians and will always be sought after by serious artists and their companies. But lets be honest, most guys cant afford these schools and to make music, you certainly dont need a full studio. You can create and mix anywhere and achieve whatever sound you want through experience and knowledge.

    Peace

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by epotts06 View Post
    So I currently attend an audio engineering school in Tempe AZ (I wont mention the name but yes its that school)
    And I have learned A few big tips that have opened my eyes to Audio Engineering and Producing in general thought I'd share ten eye opening experiences (not in any specific order). Also if you dont agree tell why or if its redundant just ignore it was intended for ppl just starting out

    10. You dont have a studio. Lol this is like day one at school. Technically a studio is the room where the band performs. The control room is where the engineer is at with the console and the iso booth is well just that an iso booth. Also studios are treated and have floating floors to help with rumble. Instead of wasting your money recording in an inferior room and letting you talent go to waste buy studio time in a pro studio. If you want afford that than save. There's not Walmart of audio. Also you should pay to mix your beats to maintain the highest quality of sound if you not good at it.

    9. You can make a shit load of money in live sound!!! I dont know why I never see ppl chatting about live sound but I think its where the money is!!! A year ago a former grad was interning with taylor swifts crew and he is now her in ear monitoring engineer. He makes 5k a month! Also since most ppl cry about the mixtape game and how artist go tour off mixtapes isnt it a good idea to learn live sound since concerts are still a great source of income for artist. I believe Rihanna made 90 Million last year of her tour.

    8. Learn to solder!!! Its a must in live sound. And also if you want to intern at studio. Patchbays are a pain in the A** and most have to be soldered. Also if you can solder you can make cables that are just a good as monster cables but 3 times cheaper!

    7. Stop buying crappy gear. Seriously this goes without saying. Ive answered a lot of questions about ppl asking is this okay or that...you know its not. When ppl say "I'm hear noise when I record" the common answer is check your cables but if all is well your just witnessing low inferior gear. (Its actually a good thing you realized it) now you know stop buying crap. Buy the best have it for life.

    6. Learn how to read transient response graphs and frequency response charts. I have found so many mics that have very similar frequency responses to u87's. A MXL v69 ME is a great mic for 299 and it has a similar response as a u87 the high end is a little sharp but if you tilt the mic 45 degrees of axis the highs roll off. (Illmind used this mic to record Skyzoo's mixtape) and it sounds great. Also you get to learn how do things compare in sound. Beats by Dre headphones are good but so are Sennheiser hd280 and cost one third of Dre's but sound just as good maybe even better

    5. Stop calling yourself a producer. I know this one seems a little disrespectful but the game of this forum is "future producer" not current producer. Ppl be like "I've been producing for ten yrs and want to finally step y game up what a good mic under 100 dollars?" WTF if you are a real producer you would know that. I've been guilty of it too but I have since stopped bc its disrespectful to Quincy Jones

    4. Read the Manual before buying the gear!!!! Please read it. Stop asking how to do something before reading the manual. Also I will let you know how it works and if it is suitable for you. I have been looking for a console for two months and I have read several manuals to see how they work. Most fall short bc of my price point and my needs. But at least I didn't buy the console that find out its not ideal. So read the manual before you buy!!!

    3. Watch Pensaco's place - Pensado's Place - ITL #31 - Hardware Compressors and EQs - YouTube its so informational and you get to see a great engineer work and it will show you little tricks and tips to improve your overall sound. Learn how to get your mix like "Johnny Juliano or Vybe Beatz" LMAO

    2. A.This is a two parter. There is a thing called "producer mode" lol. This is funny to me but its true. Inline consoles have a big and small fader and most usually have a flip or rev button that will switch which fader that is going to the mtr (tape or daw) it is useful because if your working with Madona and her daughter is in the control with you and she says I want to hear mommy's vocals louder and the most logical thing for her to do is reach for the large fader. Every one knows the large fader turns up the volume (it doesnt do that lol) but if you slap her hand away you get fired. So put it in producer mode and let her have at it. She doesnt mess up the tape and you dont get fired for slapping Madona's kid.

    B. Most "producers" in hip hop are not producers. They be in producer mode two and dont even know it...lol but my reason for this one is bc as I have become more aware of the music industry I have been let down by most ppl. Producers know everything about everything. I dont know how many times I watched interviews of producer's and they get asked a technical question and they cant answer it. But Dr. Dre gets slammed for not making every beat. But ask him why he tracks in his vocal chain. Diddy is another prime example of a producer who doesnt make beats. But he's more of the "I want her vocals to sound like shes wearing pink lipstick kinda producers lol if you get my drift) I love Diddy! LOL They're is two of the few real producers in Hip Hop. You gotta give thim all praise. I dont dis any one who makes beats bc I do too and you can still make a gang of money but just know the difference between the two.

    1.School is the best way to make it happen if you want to work in a studio!!! I know most will debate this but if you want to work in an elite studio you need to go to school. Oasis studio in LA only takes students from my school. Eddie Krammer assistant Engineer is also a former grad. We have some instructors that have worked with Stevie wonder, Michael Jackson , price, Paris Hilton (BIG MONEY) and so many more. The thing about school is that the intern dept and instructors have made the relationships and networking already. They go to bat for the their students and have travel to NYC to convince studio managers to give their students a job. 54 nominations at this yrs grammys. And 28 winners is a damn good look. Some have even worked on the watch the throne album. Also you get to see what standard gear is so you dont buy crap. You get to use it too. I'm pissed I cant afford a good pair of monitors but at least I know what they sound like so when I am able too I'm not wasting my money. Also you learn from pros that have tracked vocals with Stevie wonder (and had a session crash on him lol) those stories give you invaluable info that you cant find on forums. Learning Pro tools is cool but you need to really know it. like how to get passed a password protected file in pro tools with out the password. or how to get back a corrupted file when Stevie wonder is cussing you out (talk about pressure) Also you get to learn analog first!!! we get logic when we start but we dont dive into recording into a daw until 15 weeks in. The first 15 weeks are recording to analog tape.

    I just wanted to share some eye opening experiences I have had while on my journey...to the ones who are working in the industry share a few!!!

    Also I'm thinking of doing a weekly video of tips I learning while in school. Would any of you be interested and what topics in general would interest you. Keep in mind my school is super crazy about recording sessions or class time with a video camera. Thats the reason why you never see any sessions on youtube (and why I never mentioned the name lol). Its prohibited! but I may try to turn my laptop camera on during my next session. I'm recording to analog tape than gonna transfer to pro tools later. Full band!!!
    1. You don't need to pay anyone to mix your beats, you lose all creative control....pay to mix in a nice studio.
    2. I could give 2 shits less about Quincy Jones, I'm gonna still call myself a producer. That's what I do, I produce. With this statement I ask, how is it dissrespecting Mr. Jones?
    3. Most producers in hip hop are not producers? Seriously what the fk are you talking about...producers who know everything about everything?? That's garbage, producers are always growing and finding new ways to do things, or else it would be stagnant and everything would sound the same (btw it's starting nowadays anyways)
    4. I wouldn't work with Paris Hilton for 50 million dollars, music is more than money to me. Wow the people producing from where you at have all those grammy awards and nominations, dude the Grammy's are rigged, you know it I know it. Mainstream labels and such all have that shit rigged, it's a big joke and doesn't validate shit.
    5. Stevie Wonder would never cuss me out, I'd slap his black ass back into the 60s on some real shit. I wouldn't work for a prick, I hope you wouldn't either. Treat people as you would want to be treated.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    498
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaloDeez View Post
    This #5 is funny here. Good info and congrats for pursuing something you like. Dont forget to graduate. But, most guys here dont want to 'work' in a studio, they want to sell beats. They want to BE Dr. Dre or Puffy. And those guys didnt go to school. So your arguments may fall on deaf ears. But to the contrary, you make valid points on learning and the benefit of learning everything about music and the related. Its one thing to make a beat, but its quite a different thing to create a song or record an artist or band. The real engineers of music are the true magicians and will always be sought after by serious artists and their companies. But lets be honest, most guys cant afford these schools and to make music, you certainly dont need a full studio. You can create and mix anywhere and achieve whatever sound you want through experience and knowledge.

    Peace
    I wont "forget" to graduate lol... And I get most ppl just wanna sell beats but they use the term so losely that they may be out somewhere and met a "real" producer and look stupid. Especially when talking bout technical things. Of course you can make music anywhere but most ppl say "I cant hear the lows in my mix what monitors should i buy?" then ppl suggest new monitors to the kid and maybe acoustic treatments. And I just wonder has is ever occurred to you that you simply cant afford to get your room sounding like the pros! And most have not had any formal training and still succeed. but try to walk into a million plus recording studio and ask for a job...see how that turns out with no education in this day and age. There's many roads to one's success. I know most just wanna make beats but those guys are useless without being able to do the technical aspects that producers can do...thats why they cry about the pros jacking they beat...lol and the pro just laughs and says production is done in the studio!

    And to the other guy...I'll just pray for you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    219
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Although I don't agree with everything in the post, I think you have shared some 'strong' valid points.

    My thing is for those that cannot afford to go the route that you are able to, those people should not be discouraged or give up.

    Everyone has to create and walk a different path to their definition of success.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East coast MD
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    another guy who goes to a fancy college and thinks thats the only way to be successful. If i could I would go, but my FASFA wouldnt pay for all that and Id rather not go in to debt at 18 years old.

    I too want to learn to engineer, not just make beats. Its a hard thing to learn on one's own but i learn something every time i try!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City Missouri
    Posts
    873
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alxgry View Post
    another guy who goes to a fancy college and thinks thats the only way to be successful. If i could I would go, but my FASFA wouldnt pay for all that and Id rather not go in to debt at 18 years old.

    I too want to learn to engineer, not just make beats. Its a hard thing to learn on one's own but i learn something every time i try!
    No joke dude. I was in a an audio engineering program. No loans no scholarship no nothing. This was through a creditable private college... I won't mention studio names, but where I was at was totally bunk. I did well in all my other classes with the exception of playing scales on the keyboard, what kinda shit is that? They were teaching us Garageband and DP. They were like make music in DP...I don't use DP to make my music, it sucks, ass. I went a semester before I left, 5,000 dollars a semester. The owner of the studio would talk down hip hop, say it's all made of Parliament Funk samples, STFU... This dude was an ass. He talked himself up so high and put other genre's down if they weren't jazz. **** douche-bag studio owners and egotistical studio's in general, to caught up what's in and what's not. It was so bad, we were forced to sit and watch live concerts of groups like, Huey Lewis n shit. I was like peace, I don't need this garbage if I want to come back to master and or mix my music, I'll give ya a call.

    ---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by epotts06 View Post
    I wont "forget" to graduate lol... And I get most ppl just wanna sell beats but they use the term so losely that they may be out somewhere and met a "real" producer and look stupid. Especially when talking bout technical things. Of course you can make music anywhere but most ppl say "I cant hear the lows in my mix what monitors should i buy?" then ppl suggest new monitors to the kid and maybe acoustic treatments. And I just wonder has is ever occurred to you that you simply cant afford to get your room sounding like the pros! And most have not had any formal training and still succeed. but try to walk into a million plus recording studio and ask for a job...see how that turns out with no education in this day and age. There's many roads to one's success. I know most just wanna make beats but those guys are useless without being able to do the technical aspects that producers can do...thats why they cry about the pros jacking they beat...lol and the pro just laughs and says production is done in the studio!

    And to the other guy...I'll just pray for you!
    Not everyone want's to work in a studio... and to pay that kinda money to go to school is ridiculous. You maybe come from a better socioeconomic... you never had to work for shit, mommy and daddy bought everything. I was hustling and grinding to stay at school, even working a night job that paid bank, paying lawyers for family reasons, paying lawyers for legal troubles, I was hustling. I was making my damn ends meet, but at the end of the day, I realized, if I ever wanna do anything with this shit on a full time kinda level, I'll have to travel, or live on one of the coasts, and that ain't me, I'll keep it real and hold it down where I'm from, I'll keep my ego and except the fact.
    Last edited by streetstruck; 04-08-2012 at 03:12 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East coast MD
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and streetstruck said all the things i wanted too lol

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    46
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alxgry View Post
    another guy who goes to a fancy college and thinks thats the only way to be successful. If i could I would go, but my FASFA wouldnt pay for all that and Id rather not go in to debt at 18 years old.

    I too want to learn to engineer, not just make beats. Its a hard thing to learn on one's own but i learn something every time i try!
    Um....going to school is probably the most reliable way to make good money...sure you don't need it, but if your beatmaking plan falls through, you'll wish you had gone...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East coast MD
    Posts
    1,399
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gs350 View Post
    Um....going to school is probably the most reliable way to make good money...sure you don't need it, but if your beatmaking plan falls through, you'll wish you had gone...
    Im in college, thanks for the life advice though bud

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •