talkbox

SmoothKuik

hey im looking into getting a talkbox for that westcoast sound effect. which ones do you guys recomend? and btw do you guys know how to set one up?

Hi Smooth, this is my take to your question. I use the Digitech Talker. They don't make them anymore but I got mine from ebay. Now Rocktron makes one called the "Bunshee" and it is real cool because you don't need external equipment like the Heil talkbox. The problem with the original talkbox was that you needed a special amp with an extension speaker input in order for it to work. Plus they could be damaging to your setup if they were not used correctly.

See the whole trick to the talkbox is that the sound comes up the tube and you use your lips to form the words that you are trying to say. This whole process uses a lot of salava. Dayum!!! That is why when Digitech came out with the talker it was different. It does not use a tube, you just plug in your instrument, microphone & go to work.

But I like what Rocktron has done to its talkbox. I plan to get one in the future because there is nothing quite like that Talkbox sound. But I must give Digitech credit, they made one hell of a vocoder with the Talker. I am pleased with mine.

If you would like to hear how the talker sounds, just send me an email & I will send you a track with me using it. I hope this helps.

Mr.Alexx.............

bobsmitt said:
but is the banshee comparable to the original in the vocal effect

Yes it is. I have not personally played with one yet. Rocktron has made it more user & setup friendly. Let me tell you from experience, the original Heil Talkbox was a pain to operate due to the fact that it was not just a plug & play device. You needed an amp with an extention speaker in order for it to work. This made it easier for them to blow out & damage your setup. Rocktron has fixed that problem with their version. It is truly a plug & play unit. If I were buying a talkbox today I would get the Bunshee over the Heil. Go to do the research you will see that today, the Bunshee is a better product.
I hope this helps.

Mr.Alexx...............

thats cool! thanks for ur input. btw so i can hook up the Bunshee can be hooked up to my Motif and used like Zapp and Roger?

SmoothKuik said:
thats cool! thanks for ur input. btw so i can hook up the Bunshee can be hooked up to my Motif and used like Zapp and Roger?

Yes you can. I have found that a good sax or brass sound works for my Digitech talker.

Mr.Alexx..........

Many talkbox, the original tube in mouth a la Frampton, suffered from damaged teeth and some had chest and cardiac issues because of the amount of wattage passing through their chests.

Kind of tongue in cheek remark, but basis in truth. ;)

Samplecraze said:
Many talkbox, the original tube in mouth a la Frampton, suffered from damaged teeth and some had chest and cardiac issues because of the amount of wattage passing through their chests.

Kind of tongue in cheek remark, but basis in truth. ;)

Holy blank!

I didn't know that, wow, that's kinda crazy...

So was it the fact of having the tube in the mouth that allowed the wattage to pass through or did I miss something again?

and i was thinking of getting 1. never mind dont want my teeth blown out nor do i want my chest messed up.

Thats a false statement...Roger Troutman has used a talkbox for 20yrs, with no bad teeth and no cardiac arrest...his brother Zapp Troutman uses one to this day with no problems..the best one to get is the Rocktron Banshee....so check it out

The issue isn't wattage passing through your chest, it's coming from a speaker, the electricity stops there, teeth damage can occur from having a tube outputing sound that is too loud. This won't occur from regular use, but if you're using a normal amplifier and you aren't safe about it, you can suffer dental damage.

well I've never heard of that ever, like I said "Roger" was a pro at the talkbox and never had any problems and he used it for more than 20yrs

Frampton was a pro with it too, and from what it looks like to me, he didn't have the luck that Zapp and Roger did.

the real talkbox and keyboard.

i have the original talkbox and keyboard. roger and zapp used the goldenthroat talk box with a fender 40 watt amp.
and the secrect weapon is the
yamaha dx100. once you get that. all you'll need is the settings and your sound just the same. the banshee is good to start of with but is is nat as loud. nore have the same depht as the golden throat.

Back