Studio Setup Question

discjunkies

I am buying a Komplete Audio 6 Interface and 2x Yamaha HS7 Active Monitors and AudioTechnica M50x Studio Headphones next week and will be ordering it all online, I was wondering exactly what else I need to order along with it to setup everything correctly.
So far I think im supposed to get a pair of XLR cables to connect the HS7s to the Komplete Audio 6 if im not mistaken. I was also wondering if buying stands for the speakers are necessary or would I be able to put the speakers on seperate coffee tables as I have no other spot to place them. Does it matter how high up the speakers are set in the room or does height not matter?
And if I do need to buy stands what kind of stand am I supposed to buy, I was only able to find package deals with speakers and stands but they are only sold in the US and i wasnt able to find the same for Canada.

Look up images of your forthcoming equipment so you can see what kind of cables you'll need - in this case, the KA6 has (balanced) 1/4" jack outputs and the HS7s have both 1/4" inputs and XLRs. So you'll need cables that have 1/4" TRS jacks on the other end and either the same or XLR on the other. Doesn't really make a difference which one you'll choose.

As for stands - they are useful, but not strictly necessary. I'd probably get some kind of isolation pads for the speakers though - these are usually just a combination of rubber and thick foam, the purpose being to isolate the speakers from whatever hard surface they'd be otherwise on, so as to not cause unwanted resonance and vibrations that will color & mush up your monitoring.

Sounds good! I've got the M50x as well, great headphones for it's price!
From the looks of it, you seem to have most to get you going. Did you place the order already? If you didn't, you can also take a look at the Focal Alpha 65's, as I personally think they're better. If you placed the order already, don't worry, HS7's are solid!
One thing though, since you're using monitors: did you get acoustic treatment in your room? You're ordering some solid monitors, but wouldn't be the first person to ruin their clean sound by not treating your room.
If you have: great! If you haven't: search info on gikacoustics.com, they can help you a lot. And please, don't get tempted to buy Auralex stuff... just... don't.

As for the height of your monitors: your tweeters should be at ear level. Woofers doesn't really matter, so if you have a high desk, you can turn them upside down if you have to, may look weird, but nothing wrong with it. Monitors need to point straight at you.
Distance wise, the length between you and your left monitor has to be the same as between you and your right monitor (obviously), but also, this distance should be the same between the two monitors as well. So let's say you sit 90cm away from your monitors, then put the monitors 90cm away from each other as well.

Good look on your studio!

Back