Studio Rules

Verbalvendetta

Im pretty comfortable with my DAW and Mixing on it. But i dont have a way to record Studio Level vocals at my house..

I wanted to know if i wen to the studio could i just plug their mic into my preamp into my laptop and basically use the booth. obviously paying studio for studio time.

Verbalvendetta said:
Im pretty comfortable with my DAW and Mixing on it. But i dont have a way to record Studio Level vocals at my house..

I wanted to know if i wen to the studio could i just plug their mic into my preamp into my laptop and basically use the booth. obviously paying studio for studio time.
IDK... Maybe you could record vocals, than have a CD of just the vocal track Burned, than take it home an match it up to the beats... I dont know, just a random thought...:o

That shouldnt be an issue, although it would probably be a better idea to do a rough mix, and load up the exported wav/aiff into their system. That way they wouldnt have to screw around repatching their H/P monitoring setup etc, plus they would most likely have some tasty pre's and outboard for you to use...

Take the whole thing to them because you’re paying for studio time anyways, so you might as well get the music mixed with the vocals.
They will give you tips about your own studio at home and how to get the most out of it, they do this **** day in day out so done worry.
Sometimes studios can sound too clean like CD’s and not warm like old records, I’ve heard a lot of good **** come from bedroom studio’s and the quality is dope.

i think you should see how good they make it sound there first, cuz you are paying them, and their equipment is probly really good so they can get good sound. but i too have heard really good bedroom studio mixes, so i'd say see which way sounds better and then decide.

There are plenty of studios out there that are doing just that -

People bring in "home brewed" stuff on whatever they're recording on, go in and do tweaking and vocals and what not. Many will mix there also, of course.

Just make sure what you're bringing is compatible with what they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like what MASSIVE said, but why wouldn't you just want them to cut it on their gear? I mean, it is a professional setup right? With a professional console? Pro ADA's, pre's, analog outboard?

I mean, it doesn't make sense for them to really do it on your computer, especially since your laptop is probably not as powerful as their desktop DAWs.

I don't see why'd you'd pay them to record you on your computer, I think it'd be easy to find somewhere that uses the same software you do, and they'd be able to transfer a project folder on disc or over the internet to you.

I guess more or less, I don't see the point, or rather, the advantage since you'll be using less than professional gear in the chain, your recording might lack.

Just a thought.

i want to do it on my lap top to Cut down on the time in the studio, and I can go back an edit arrangements on my own time. and add effects etc., just more control and flexibility

thanks for the advice

Why not just take a rough mix of your beat or whatever you are recording vocals for, have the vocals recorded and just leave with a copy of an acapella and one with the beat for reference. This way you can save time and just use their equipment to record. Then just use the sound files you get and bring it to your laptop when your home to do the mix however you want it to.

What are you using for beat production?

Find out if they use that at the studio, and have them give you the project files.

I'd also mix my beat in the same program, just so it would be easier in the long run.

I just thought it'd be easier for the studio and you to just have them do it.

You are hiring a professional studio and people, take advantage of it.

Back