stacking/layering kicks

fn86

when doing this, should i go for the same technique that i use when i have frequencies clashing in a mix? notching out frequencies that the first sounds has the most characteristics in in the other sound, and vice versa? that would make sense i guess?

I'd sugest you to cut the lows of the "treble" kik before you layer them.

After, you can compress both in order to blend the samples.

Yes, it makes sense...

should i rater leave the compression until i have them both bussed to a group, and then apply compression to them both in the same compressor, or should i compress them one and one, and then buss them to a group?

I think you should just do it. You got everything in front of you, what would you loose if you tried either of the methods you listed. Do what ever sounds right.

fn86 said:
should i rater leave the compression until i have them both bussed to a group, and then apply compression to them both in the same compressor, or should i compress them one and one, and then buss them to a group?
Compress both in the same compressor is preferable, since I don't see any reason to do it separately.

But, it's nice to try different techniques, so you can decide what works better for you. :)

Back