Some Questions About Reason 2.5 [PLEASE HELP!]

smjVersion1

Okay, I got Reason 2.5 the other day, along with a Radium 49 key MIDI controller. I have a few questions about some problems I'm having with it.

First, the keyboard came with a CD called Reason Adapted Express. It's basically Reason Lite, it's a version of Reason that has a lot less synths and sounds. It works just fine, I press a key, the sound is played.

However, I don't want to use Reason Adapted Express when I have Reason 2.5, which is the full thing. But when I load that up, I press a note, and the note echoes a few times. I press a key, and the sound plays, then plays a little lower, then plays a little lower, and fades out as the note repeats itself. Has anyone else experienced this problem and can help me out, or point me to a site that covers this stuff?

My other problem is the SOUNDS in Reason. I was using a video tutorial on todaysbeats.com and he loaded a patch called BassQue on the SubTractor. He played it, and it had a very deep, bassy sound to it, like one would expect. I load mine, and it sounds a lot different. If I play it on a lower octave, it sounds closer to what it should, but for some reason I get the feeling that it sounds different than it should. As a matter of fact, all the bass patches on the SubTractor sound the same for me. What could be wrong?

Thirdly, what are the benefits of upgrading my sound card? Will it make my synths sound better?

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps. :)

Last edited:
smjVersion1 said:
Okay, I got Reason 2.5 the other day, along with a Radium 49 key MIDI controller. I have a few questions about some problems I'm having with it.

First, the keyboard came with a CD called Reason Adapted Express. It's basically Reason Lite, it's a version of Reason that has a lot less synths and sounds. It works just fine, I press a key, the sound is played.

However, I don't want to use Reason Adapted Express when I have Reason 2.5, which is the full thing. But when I load that up, I press a note, and the note echoes a few times. I press a key, and the sound plays, then plays a little lower, then plays a little lower, and fades out as the note repeats itself. Has anyone else experienced this problem and can help me out, or point me to a site that covers this stuff?

What device were you using? You probably need to adjust your Attack, Decay, Sustain, and Release parameters.

My other problem is the SOUNDS in Reason. I was using a video tutorial on todaysbeats.com and he loaded a patch called BassQue on the SubTractor. He played it, and it had a very deep, bassy sound to it, like one would expect. I load mine, and it sounds a lot different. If I play it on a lower octave, it sounds closer to what it should, but for some reason I get the feeling that it sounds different than it should. As a matter of fact, all the bass patches on the SubTractor sound the same for me. What could be wrong?

More than likely nothing is wrong, don't simply go by what you see in a tutorial, you should experiment for yourself and discover what works best. Sub-bass should be played in low octaves anyways so you were probably on the right track. I just examined the BassQue patch and didn't have any problems.

Thirdly, what are the benefits of upgrading my sound card? Will it make my synths sound better?

You didn't state what type of sound card you have, however a new sound card will not make things sound "better". If you are having latency problems then that is a different story, however you didn't elude to that being a problem.

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps. :)

Just read the manual on the devices and experiment a lot and you should have no problems.

Last edited:
Well the bass thing I realized is not just that patch. Every damn patch in that directory sounds the same, so it's not just the bass needing to be played in lower octaves, it's something about that library. Is there anyway I may have installed the library wrong or something? Every patch sounds the same, it's this really light generic sound.

r u sure the subtractor has a lot of bass, but to be honest with you not to many of the presets are good for hip hop, so what I do is use the presets that I like and edit them a little to make my own patches.

smjVersion1 did u kno reason 3 is out? I heard its way betta then reason 2.5

smjVersion1 said:
Well the bass thing I realized is not just that patch. Every damn patch in that directory sounds the same, so it's not just the bass needing to be played in lower octaves, it's something about that library. Is there anyway I may have installed the library wrong or something? Every patch sounds the same, it's this really light generic sound.

Did you install Reason Adapted? If you did you should make sure that you completely uninstall it then re-install Reason 2.5. I would suggest that you uninstall everything (even if you did not install Reason Adapted) and start over and see if that resolves your problem.

Also check you keyboard, make sure that it's on it's normal settings, you may want to add a Matrix to a device and se how that plays without the midi controller to see if that is possibly the problem.

Back