Some producer HAS your same producer NAME!!

DMVhitmaker

What would ya'll do if a group of producers has yall same name and they are from the other side of the country? Join together or try to take legal action??
Facts:
-Their music is as dope as yours.
-They are up and coming like you.

Last edited:
WTF is this like some 'choose your own adventure' shit LMAO. Just playing but I probably would do nothing or legal action but I'm broke so nothing is more likely lol.

What would you do if there was a 'big name' producer wit the same name as you? Let it ride?

if you want to do something about this you need money for an attorney. You need to find out if your name was created before theirs. If not you could run into problems yourself later on. if so you can have an attorney contact them tell them the situation most likely they'll get nervous and change their name.
They'll prob lose some listeners do to name change but if you dont care its not your problem

Or i guess you could try to contact them your self saying you will take legal action i would google into a little bit more. yahoo answers works really nice as well.

Last edited:
Hahaha. There are TONS of different producers with the same names.
Chances are they don't even know you, or anything about you.
Everyone wants to go to court now, lol.
I would not be surprised if there were another producer from 5-15 years back with your name.
So if you made it big should they take action on you?
How do you know your the first with your name.

It's only an issue when you start making real money.

So... moral of the story? Make this a BIIGGG issue! lol. Whoever makes the most money is probably gonna win.

My emcee name is Chris Phoenix. I made it while I was doing more emceeing. Now.. I probably produce more than I emcee, and there actually is a well established producer with that same name. I'll have to change my producer name for sure when I make enough money for this to become a problem. So... as I get bigger jobs.. i'll go by a different name. I'm keeping it for now as is b/c I couldn't change it if I wanted to lol, it's what everyone knows me by.

Last edited:
unless you have a trademark on the name you have no legal right to it. I don't care if your name is Steve Wonder. Try that shit and see how fast Stevie shuts you down! I do remember at one point though there was a singer named Big Boy on 106 n Park during the same count down as Big Boi from Outkast had I like The Way You Move out. Needless to say the new guy didn't last long. I also remember there being an issue with Dj Jazz Jeff and an early rapper called Jazzy Jeff. Before there were any legal problems the name was just changed to Dj Jazzy Jeff. Soulja Boy got in trouble from a 90s rapper named Solider Boy he did move a few units I kind of remember him hence why he's now called Soulja Boy Tell Em. So there could be issues if they own the name and not you.

Again, why do people keep bringing up these stupid hypotheticals?

This is just like dudes asking if they're gonna get sued for sampling.

Yeah if I'm ever huge and somebody has my name, I'll be pissed.

But until then is there any point to worrying about it?

Damn now that is something. In the end if it come down to legalistic ways of solveing the problem it looks like you will have to get an attorney and find out who got their producer name first name first.

Only if you can prove in court that the person with your same name is costing you potential revenue... this would be very hard and expensive to prove. A worst case scenario would be something like I start using Timbalands name to promote my music and it blows up, in which case Mr. Mosley could take me to court on the grounds that my success and earnings were largely due to crediting my works with his name. All in all really only the lawyers win.

Back