So I want to produce. I have some equipment. Where to begin? Please show me the lite.

Is this a dumb question?

• Yes. Just turn on the power and start pushing buttons and turning nobs.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • No. Their is a bunch to know about producing.

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Brandon_Wahl

Me a four of my friends have began to try and produce. In the last few months we have gathered a little euipment and we are now bringing it together to start on making some tracks. We are all new to production, but most of us have been spinning for awhile.

Right now we have.

Korg MS2000 synth
Roland MC303 Grouvemachine
A cheap midi keybord to be used as somekind of midi controler (but not quite shure what that will allow us to do.)

Soon we will also have a custome bilt computer (it is allready bilt and I don't know the details right now. It was bilt mainly for grafix though I think we might need to upgrade the soundcard)

What programs should i get for the computer? I have herd that cubase has a program that is to be used with the mc 303 but don't really know what that will allow us to do.

We are wanting to make House, breaks, and dnb.

I have been through most of the manual for the korg synth but haven't been able to go through the mc 303 manual.

In fact I don't have a manual for the Roland MC303. I have been looking for one but can't find it. Do you know where a pdf of one is?

My friends and I are all really new to this. Their is soo much to lern I don't know where to start. Any suggestions will be greatly appresheated.

:hello:

Hi!

Midikeyboard:
setup1.jpg

Vintage Synth

Roland MC303 Manual:
Turbo Start Manual
MC 303 site
All MC303 Manuals

Soundcard:
you probably want a soundcard with
- some midi in-/outputs
- low latency
- firewire

check out the followin cards:
1. E.BAND ANDA.008 (INCA 88 OEM)
2. AUDIOTRAK INCA 88 Midi
3. MIDIMAN DELTA AUDIOPHILE 2496
4. AUDIOTRAK MAYA 5.1 EX
5. TERRATEC DMX 6FIRE 24/96
6. HOONTECH DSP 2000
7. Tascam US122
8. TERRATEC EWS88MT
9. TERRATEC EWX 24/96
10. CREATIVE SB AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM EX

cheers
rick

Thanks for the replys. I will add the details about the computer as soon as i get them.

What is MPC? I have access to reason 5.0 and fruty loops. I don't want to start a war over this but from what I hear reason would produce a more professinal sound.

What is cubbase? I herd it has something special for the roland mc303?

Do thes programs do diffrent things or are the all about the same with diffrent layouts?

:hello:

Brandon_Wahl said:
What is MPC? I have access to reason 5.0 and fruty loops. I

reason 5.0....? let me get on that....cause i know 2.5 just came out a couple of weeks ago......or are you talkin bout another program....?

Actually, when you said Firewire my ears perked up. I'm curious about that too. Where does the firewire come in for music production. I know about it's high speed data transmission....but what equipment benefits from the technology? Get back to me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the Digi00x series are firewire. Maybe it's the good for digital recording? I'm wondering too. Someone add on to my assumptions or fix my assumptions.

Definition:
FireWire is a high performance networking standard based on a serial bus architecture. The industry created the IEEE 1394 FireWire standard in 1995. Adoption of FireWire has been slow to materialize, but many people use FireWire today to network their digital video cameras with their computers. FireWire theoretically supports networking of any computer peripherals and does not require a central computer be present on the network.

FireWire is known for its low cost and also ease of setup and use. FireWire competes with and is technically similar to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) standard. FireWire supports a theoretical maximum data rate of 400 Mbps, that is roughly equivalent to the performance of USB 2.0.

Some audio equipment require firewire...

rick

Rick J said:
Definition:
FireWire is a high performance networking standard based on a serial bus architecture. The industry created the IEEE 1394 FireWire standard in 1995. Adoption of FireWire has been slow to materialize, but many people use FireWire today to network their digital video cameras with their computers. FireWire theoretically supports networking of any computer peripherals and does not require a central computer be present on the network.

FireWire is known for its low cost and also ease of setup and use. FireWire competes with and is technically similar to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) standard. FireWire supports a theoretical maximum data rate of 400 Mbps, that is roughly equivalent to the performance of USB 2.0.

Some audio equipment require firewire...

rick

Yes, we know that's it's IEEE-1394 and yes it's serial bus architecture and yes we know it can manage up to 63 devices on one pc. We know that stuff. I want to know what devices in the music industry utilize this medium. Get back to me. :)

Firewire is just a type of connection, basically you used to use the old 16 pin connectors on old skool macs and now USB etc
Firewire is almost a connect and go kind of device, abit like USB but quicker and more reliable.

Sooooooooo, it could be connected to anything you want, its not product specific e.g external hardrive + firewire = makes things a whole lot quicker!!

Hope this helps, Pride.

Pride said:
Firewire is just a type of connection, basically you used to use the old 16 pin connectors on old skool macs and now USB etc
Firewire is almost a connect and go kind of device, abit like USB but quicker and more reliable.

Sooooooooo, it could be connected to anything you want, its not product specific e.g external hardrive + firewire = makes things a whole lot quicker!!

Hope this helps, Pride.

Thanks, Pride. It does help. So would you say that producers take more of a liking to firewire as opposed to SCSI harddrives and what not? And are there HDs out there with a firewire port? I know some instruments have that incorporated, but what about harddrives? Let me know. :)

There should be Firewire ports on most Macs and PC's nowadays, for instance i've got 2 firewire inputs in the back of my G3 and that standard I think.

For me personally, I would definately choose firewire for things like external hardrives and instruments, it just means that your whole set-up runs smoother and faster.

Although USB is totally sufficient, USB is fine for most things but when your asking abit more of your Mac it can stall sometimes. It used to be that firewire was really expensive but now I htink USB and Firewire are pretty similar in price.

est thing to do is just do whats necessary, so if it calls for a bit more stability then go for firewire, If not USB it is.

Laters

Pride.

:D

It's funny. When you mentioned Firewire being faster than USB I thought, hmm...what about USB2. Both USB and FireWire support hot swapping. So that's really convenient....BUT...I forgot where I read this but a FireWire 2 is in the works. Still hot swappable...and I think 2-3 times as fast as USB2. Nice, eh. Wow...do we really need that much speed? ;)

Back