Sight Reading Tips

M

menergy

Hi, I have been learning how to play keyboard on a Triton Pro X.

Anyone have any tips on how to develop good sight reading skills?

To develop good sight reading skills, you must keep on sight reading....sight read as much as you can and that will improve your sight reading skills..also, they sell those sight reading books......just go to one of your music books, pick a random song and start sight reading, do it as much as you can and you will get better.

music theory

I used to be quite poor at sight-reading (well I thought I was anyway) but now I'm pretty good. I think I've got better because of my knowledge of music theory, as well as lots of practise obviously.

Learn about keys, scales, chords, common chord progressions, common patterns etc. A lot of these are best learnt in practise, by playing loads of classical music etc.

I would draw an analogy with reading (as in books). When you read, you don't see a load of letters - you see words. This is because over the years you have learnt to spot patterns. It's the same with music - once you see 'chords' instead of notes, you can sight-read more quickly, and even 'improvise' slightly when you're not quick enough to read the music.

If you're sight-reading for exams, then it's better to do it very slowly and get all the notes right, rather than more quickly and making mistakes. But if you're accompanying someone, the opposite tends to be true. And finally, if you're struggling when accompanying someone, it's better to play less notes (e.g. just play with one hand while you're 'catching up') than to keep going ahead and making more mistakes.

Yeah , just keep Diggin into those Book and keep tring , tehn u can make a better sight reading, i'was also bad at reading but now i'am a bit beter then before , but not that good.:eek:

Great tips guys. I have been doing some really lame sight reading lately. I must say my fingers are really cordinated and my sight reading is what I really need to concentrate on.

I can play all of these scales just from hearing them and its good to attach a name to them. ;)

Back