Should i buy...... this mic?

GlassCups

The last 2-3 months iv been looking for a new mic; since iv been looking around online, i found one in my price range(500-700) the nuemann Tlm 102 . I recently went on Craigslist and found the nuemann tlm 103 for $850. The owner said its in mint condition. i don't mind shedding some more bucks but my question is have you ever bought a mic on craigslist? if so do you think i should go for it?

Always test it first with someone who knows about mics and music production if possible. There might be something wrong with it what you can't notice if you don't know much about mics. Buying a new mic is different thing but you can never know about used mics.

I'd be nervous spending that kinda money for a mic from a craigslist add.

Not to say the mic isn't fine... but think about it this way... why isn't the seller selling it on Ebay? They could get more money for it.

IMO, the only real reason someone would prefer selling on craigslist over ebay is 1) To avoid shipping a heavy product (which is obviously not the case here, mics are cheap to ship) or to avoid shipping costs altogether, and 2) If their paypal doesn't hit for 21 days and they don't want to wait. In the later case... that's usually b/c they have bad credit or something negative (or maybe they're just new to selling)... but still, it would make me procedd w/ caution.

If it were a mic for under $300... it might be worth it, but for $850... i'd rather have the trust factor from a reputable dealer that has a decent return policy. If you buy off ebay, at least you're backed by paypal and you have that protection.

neumann tlm 103 | eBay

^Here... there's a bunch on sale right now for actually a little bit less. Same Neumann TLM 103.

Last edited:
you never know. Maybe dude is just short of cash and really needs the money. but a TLM 103 is really not best for vox anyway. I've used them for overheads. I think there are a few other mics that you could afford in that price range. Dont buy just because its Neumann bc they only market those mics to ppl who want the name not a good mic.

Back