Seperate bass line necessary in Deep house music?

Dafwill

Whats up guys,
so im getting started producing some deep house music and im wondering when im layering a deep house lead i add a low end, mid, and high end. Once im done with that sound and make a melody with it do i need a seperate bass line even if the lead synth has that low end or should i add an even lower sub to the mix? Whats your guys opinion?

One of the main characteristics in house music is the bass sound in the offbeat. If your lead have a dominant low end, consider cutting it out from the mix with an eq and get mad with bass synths.

One of the main characteristics in house music is the bass sound in the offbeat.
Not sure where ya heard that but all I analyze is house music and and offbeat bass isn't really a characteristic at all unless we're talking about melbourne bounce which is barely deep house and more electro house. In regular deep house its just a producer decision, not a genre defining characteristic... An offbeat high hat on the other hand..

As for OP if you have low end layered on your lead that IS your bass. Its not the low end of your lead, its your bass. So no, if your lead is full and takes up where the bass should be, you can consider that one instrument to be your lead and your bass. One will just be your 'top layer' one will be your 'bass layer' or however you wanna name them.

with that all being said, the ear loves it when the bass moves in opposite directions as the harmony or the melody from time to time..So dont be afraid to let the bass wander a little bit or do some minor skips along with the melody.

but the short answer to your question is your bass and lead can be one instrument, thats more common in deep house now than ever.

Last edited:
Another question asked about whether or not one preference is better than another. The questions do not seem to change very much at all and the answer is always more or less the same. If it sounds good the way you're doing it, why are you so concerned about whether or not a sub bass underneath the lead would be needed?

There's a very common comment to it all and it goes a little something like this; if it sounds good, it's good. There are no rules. If a sub bass makes the track sound better, that's what you should do. If you think that it's banging the way it is right now, then leave it as is!

The most obvious way to test whether or not it works would be for you to simply add a sub and see what it brings to the table. No real point in coming here and ask something you could have been over and done with long time ago, with a much better response to it than you could ever get from here.

Last edited:
Back