Sampling a drum shot legal ??

Do you mean sampling another beatmaker's drum sound? That would be a definite no-no. Taking drums off another hip hop producer would be considered about as foul as it gets. As far as sampling your drums off old live records and then applying effects yourself, though, go for it. That's the technique by which the majority of good drums are set up.

For any legal enquiries about sampling generally (there's only moral enquiries as regard sampling un-arranged, un-composed drums) check the forum section that's set up for it.

Correct me if I am wrong but....

Sampling a drum hit from a 1960's album or vinyl

equals

Sampling a drum hit from a 2004 CD by artist X

Technically you are performing the same action, there is a chance that the album from the 60's may or may not have someone around to hound you about a sample of a snare. That depends on luck of the draw...technically its the same.

Newer stuff would be more recognizable though and draw attention faster because of this.

R.

Heaps of crappy producers rip off other people's drum hits - doesn't make it right.

There's one exception to this, I think. MF Doom took other people's drums and freely admitted it but the result was so slamming everyone turned a blind eye.

The other couple of comments on this topic are true, there's no practical block on taking other hip hop producer's effected drum hits.

The discretion would be made by you. It's all about your process as a beatmaker, and the respectful distance you keep from other people who are making beats. Taking their stuff is basically admitting you're a step behind. If you're cool with that, go to it.

Mark DBX said:
Do you mean sampling another beatmaker's drum sound? That would be a definite no-no. Taking drums off another hip hop producer would be considered about as foul as it gets. As far as sampling your drums off old live records and then applying effects yourself, though, go for it. That's the technique by which the majority of good drums are set up.

For any legal enquiries about sampling generally (there's only moral enquiries as regard sampling un-arranged, un-composed drums) check the forum section that's set up for it.

man that logic is retarded. Pete Rock got a lot of his drums from the moutain brothers, etc so if i take pete rocks drums i'm lifting what was once taken from an old record.

If you take a full break from someone then you're more likely to get in trouble cause you're infringing on their SR (sound recording) of a unique track. Like James Brown "Funky Drummer" or the Honeydrippers "Impeach The President".

However you can't copyright a specific drum pattern. So if you want to replay a specific pattern go ahead.

Peace

Komplex, it sounds like you know a little bit about sampling legality and near to nothing about sampling itself. And as regards the foul Pete Rock talk....times were you'd get a smack in your mouth for words like that.

When Pete Rock used an old Jazz drum hit in a beat, he did HEAPS to recontextualize the sound (compression, filtering, EQ'ing, Tuning, Pitching, cutting/scratching etc.) The sound of the drum that you take off of a Pete Rock record isn't just the drum taken from an old record that he originally found, but the drum with all Pete Rock's work put into it.

If you are making Hip Hop beats, you should be putting that work in yourself with your record collection, not just collaging the slamming beats other people have worked hard to produce.

Pete Rock mainly sequenced his drum hits, rather than rely on looping breaks (not that looping breaks is bad).

Incidentally, you can copyright drums the same way you can copyright music written with any other instrument. It's just that it doen't happen much because a lot of sampled people didn't "write" or compose their drums. they just bang away on un-tuned skins. Jazz guys and gentlemen like David Axlerod wrote drums, though.

listen son i never said anything bad mouthing pete rock, that man it one of my idols so dont get it twisted.

pete rock even gave props to fat joe for lifting a snare off his record...

and i do tweak my own drums for your information and i am aware that pete rock sequenced his own drums

you cannot copyright a drum pattern like i said but you can copyright a specific recording.

i know plenty about sampling so dont assume anything....

First of all, hip hop music was built off all that good sh!t. So why is cat still scared to sample! And 2. If you don't sample, how the hell do you make your music, & where did you get your sounds from.

http://www.soundclick.com/supadread

Supa Dread 04, I don't think anyone on this thread was *scared* to sample. For example, some of Komplex's beats use incredible sampling techniques.

I think it was just that everyone was interested in debating the moral and legal implications of certain sampling processes. As a sample-based beatmaker, I think drums should be developed by the sampler from original drums off non hip-hop records. If you have the vinyl stack, and the tools to do it, why would you want to use another hip hop producer's drums? It sounds hypocritical to "sample everything except that" but it's just a moral code.

A lot of nice hip hop records were made without sampling records, though. Don't deny the talent of those live players that Sylvia and everyone used to use back in the seventies/eighties.

All I'm saying is that if your not play a live instrument your basically sampling. As far as sampling Hip Hop, I don't really hear too much sounds worth sampling, but when I do come across somthing that will bring a certain vibe to my production, it don't matter what it is, I'll put to use. Sampling is art if you do it right.

Komplex! man yo. That 's what I'm
Talkin bout man! Ya'll cats are doin it real BIGG!! Keep it bangin..

hey mark its cool man to be honest i get most my drums off jazz and reggae records anyways.

lol its funny ya'll like the beats on my site cause i honestly haven't uploaded a new beats in about 5-6 months.

Sampling is essential in hip-hop but since I also play keyboard and work with other musicians I find live instrumentation just as essential.

Peace

Supadread, that sounds shysty as hell dipping into hip hop a bit when you need some atmosphere for your track.

Komplex, I think I spoke to soon about your lack of sampling ability. Nice vocal stabs on one of those tracks. I like the fact that even though I thought I recognized some of the music, the elements were arranged interestingly and slammingly and not just pinned into a sequence. By the way, why the concern about the 5 month old beats? Why wouldn't they have sounded good?

I can see if someone had talent with a few instruments, they would want to incorporate live work into their music. Makes sense.

Mark DBX said:
Supadread, that sounds shysty as hell dipping into hip hop a bit when you need some atmosphere for your track.

Thats just the way it's done some times shysty or not. I started from scratch with three little floppy disks
& general midi.I use to sample voices, horns, breaks and stuff like that.
Like I said there not to much you can get from a Hip Hop song. But I don't see nothing wrong with taking one of havocs snares or rim shots But that just me.

Mark DBX said:

Komplex, I think I spoke to soon about your lack of sampling ability. Nice vocal stabs on one of those tracks. I like the fact that even though I thought I recognized some of the music, the elements were arranged interestingly and slammingly and not just pinned into a sequence. By the way, why the concern about the 5 month old beats? Why wouldn't they have sounded good?

Not that they dont sound good its just compared to some of my newer stuff its lacking. I've improved my musicianship quite a bit since then.

When this website I'm working on is finished then I can upload all the new stuff.

Peace

Mark DBX said:

The other couple of comments on this topic are true, there's no practical block on taking other hip hop producer's effected drum hits.

if you take a sample of a song that has had an SR filed for it this is copyright infringement, no matter how small the sample or what the sample is.. but the only time you have to worry about it is if your track blows up - and someone recognizes the sample .. there are lawyers who do this for a living

KomplexBeats said:
I dont think anyone sues for one shot drums. I've never heard of that happening.

Peace

it probably is unlikely... although i can't say id be too pleased if someone jacked drum sounds that i painstakenly created

Back