Safe to rewind vinyl records with hands while its playing ???

apexxhiphop

Just wondering cause i recently got a turn table to do sampling on and when I wanna play a part back i would pull the needle up and try my best to just slightly move it back so i dont go to far and that can get quite annoying cause sometimes you go to far and gotta pick it back up and adjust again etc etc so i started to just spin the record back with my hands cause its much easier and efficient to get to where i wanna go. I just want to know if thats bad for the needle and or record. Does it affect the life span on the needle???

example:

he does what im talking about right in the start of the video you cant miss it

of course its safe its the same as scratching, but i suggest you to do this ONLY with good cartridge and needle

Exactly - scratching is nothing else but moving the record back and forth (and some crossfader action).

And like viksamkd said, it’s important that you have a needle that was built for that. The reason is you could damage your vinyl (and you needle). Basically on the vinyl you would have like „tracks“ which are in „V“ form. The sound will be on the walls of that „V“ (you see, the letter V forms like the walls that join together at a point at the bottom). „Needles“ are actually diamonds. The high-end ones (for audiophiles, for high quality listening) will be in some sort of „V“ form as well. And that diamond will go into the „track“ on the Vinyl. That will be like a V that goes into a V — they fit perfectly together. The deeper it goes down, the „more“ sound it has (just remember that). Scratch needles are a bit different, they are not in V form. They are more like a V that was cut at the half… a bit like this: \_/ (instead of „V“). So it will not go to the very bottom of the tracks. That is because every time you move it on the vinyl, there is actually some wearing. With an audiophile needle, if you scratched with it, there would be much more wearing than with a scratch vinyl. So scratch needles are made to „harm“ the vinyl less, since you will be moving it back and forth. I suck so hard at teaching, wow! But I hope it helped somehow...

Back