records...

A

A_Plus

I have been doing a lot of reading (on this site, and the web), and I am planning on getting some tables, but before I even buy tables I know I need to know all the music I am going to spin really well. I plan on buying one table and then start buying records for the time being so i can listen to them and get very familiar with them, then buy my second table and begin practicing.

would anyone have any sugestions to some good records that I would be able to beatmatch fairly easy? just something to get started and wouldn't be too hard to do. Would going out and getting records of my favorite djs be the best? or what, the record part is the part of all this I am most confused about. hell, I might even be going at this the tottally wrong way, but that is why I am posting this note. any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

AdAm

Hey there...I know what you're going through right now, so I'll try and give you some advice.

First off, it seems like you're not sure what music you would like to spin. This brings up the question: is DJing really for you? Are you willing to invest time and money in learning how to mix and buying records? You should go into it with a clear idea of what you want to accomplish and get out of it.

If DJing is the right direction for you, I think its best if you find yourself a good set of decks. Even if you don't have a big budget, you can find yourself a decent set. I started with direct drive, since they have a good start/stop speed compared w/ belt drives. (if you are in the U.K., the shop Sapphires offers Citronic PD-1 direct drive decks plus a mixer for about 330-350 pounds! This is a good deal for a set of solid decks).

In terms of initially learning how to mix/beatmatch, you should be looking at house records. This is because of their clear 4/4 beat structure. Mixing house is pretty straightforward compared to other styles and is probably the most basic. Once you learn the basics using house tracks, learning the other styles (D&B, trance) will come easier.

You must be wondering what to buy. Try going to stores where you can listen to the record before you buy it. Just buy maybe 2 or 3 tracks. Make sure they have a clear 4/4 bass drum, since it is easier to learn how to beatmatch w/ this.

Whoa...I hope I don't overwhelm you. I think I wrote too much!

peace!

//A S U R A\\

Honestly records are fairly cheap for the most part, try http://www.waxstreet.net , and if you think that DJ'ing is for you and your confused on what sort of sound you want maybe you should get a few of the majors, Trance/House/Happy, etc, and see what you feel comfortable with and maybe all ya need is a few mins spinning these to determine what sort of sound you like creating. Its a hard process, but hey..lol.. someones gotta do it!

Laterz,
Dave K
a.k.a Digital_K
http://www.plur2k.com

I want to end up spinning tech house. I was just wondering what some good records are that I could match the beats of fairly easy to just get started. Do you usually always start out spinning house because it always seems a little simpler and sort of basic, besides the scratching?

I don't know if I am putting my questions right out on paper, all I know is that I want to make some music, from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep (when not in school) I am listening to some kind of "techno" music, I just want to be able to spin my own music and make it sound decent.

Back