Recommended Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staggerlee

As per hitz suggestion Im making a list of recommended books.

Books concerning overall success in life:

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
-A MUST MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST read book about pretty much how to use the most valuable asset you will ever have - your head.

Any other books by him are great as well.

Music Theory

"Theory of Harmony", "Counterpoint" and "Fundamentals of Composition" by Arnold Schoenberg - a contemporary composer, the first 2 books will give you a wealth of knowledge that can pretty soon teach how to compose entire symphonies.

"6 Steps to Songwriting Success" - Jason Blume, a good read with some real gems.

And add some other stuff dudes, I aint doin all the reading.

The Art of Mixing: A Visual Guide

The Recording Engineer's Handbook

The Mix Engineer's Handbook

Mastering Audio: the art and science

How to Get Signed

basic series

Tons of great books out there.

The Business of Music by [SIZE=-1]Sidney Schemel, M. William Krasilovsky

All You Need To Know About The Music Business by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Donald S. Passman

Music Publishing: by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tim Whitsett

Confessions of a Record Producer by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Moses Avalon

The Self-Promoting Musician by Peter Spellman

READ UP! :cheers:
[/SIZE]

PlanetHitzProduction said:
The Business of Music by Sidney Schemel, M. William Krasilovsky

All You Need To Know About The Music Business by
Donald S. Passman

Yeah, I would agree with both of those reads, we actually used them last semester as our text books.

For those who midi and software challenged, "Complete Guide to Digital Audio" by Chris Middleton is a must have...

Mix Engineers Handbook mentioned before is an awesome read....lots of valuable and useful tips and techs......

Any Books by Paul White, (Sound On Sound editor), and of course Sound On Sound itself.

ELectronic And Computer Music by Peter Manning is a good read, though very advanced for me in some places. It deals with the very roots of electronic composition and is relevant to anyone here who uses a computer to make any sort of sound.

GENERATIONTERRORIST said:
Any Books by Paul White, (Sound On Sound editor), and of course Sound On Sound itself.

ELectronic And Computer Music by Peter Manning is a good read, though very advanced for me in some places. It deals with the very roots of electronic composition and is relevant to anyone here who uses a computer to make any sort of sound.

Paul White is incredible, he did part of the basic series, I think he did basic Effects & Processors, great book for under $10 with loads of information.

He has to be one of the better writers of production out there... He's easy to read and understand.

Staggerlee said:
As per hitz suggestion Im making a list of recommended books.

Books concerning overall success in life:

"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
-A MUST MUST ABSOLUTELY MUST read book about pretty much how to use the most valuable asset you will ever have - your head.

Any other books by him are great as well.

Music Theory

"Theory of Harmony", "Counterpoint" and "Fundamentals of Composition" by Arnold Schoenberg - a contemporary composer, the first 2 books will give you a wealth of knowledge that can pretty soon teach how to compose entire symphonies.

"6 Steps to Songwriting Success" - Jason Blume, a good read with some real gems.

And add some other stuff dudes, I aint doin all the reading.
To add to that list my friend I bring the following to the table...

Life and Financial:

Rich Dad, Poor Dad [Robert T. Kiyosaki]
- If I was on my death bed and had to pass on last minute
advice, it would be to read this book.

The Slight Edge [Jeff olson]
- Another great book on the same scale as Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

How to Win Friends and Influence People [Dale Carnegie]
- Again, a great book to read, especially while looking to better
yourself in this industry.

and pretty much everything else by John C. Maxwell and Robert T. Kiyosaki too.

Music:

www.perfectpitch.com
(not a book, but audio CDs) helps you to... oh hell, go to the site and it will explain :D

Phobik1 already listed what I would list, as far as other books.

Last edited:

I hope thats good. havent had the chance to read it yet. Ha anyone had the chance to read Think and Grow Rich? I guess not, otherwise i would have heard it, lol. Read it.

Staggerlee said:

I hope thats good. havent had the chance to read it yet. Ha anyone had the chance to read Think and Grow Rich? I guess not, otherwise i would have heard it, lol. Read it.

Think and Grow Rich was going to be the book I was going to read before I got Rich Dad, Poor Dad. I just started with the other, but I am definately aware of it and it's on my list.

"Making Beats: The Art of Sample Based Hip Hop" is a must read. It's real producers talking about ethics of sampling, sampling from vinyl vs. cd, what is real hip hop and why a lot of the producers interviewed for the book don't like RZA's beats. There's much more than that though, just read it.

primofan34 said:
"Making Beats: The Art of Sample Based Hip Hop" is a must read. It's real producers talking about ethics of sampling, sampling from vinyl vs. cd, what is real hip hop and why a lot of the producers interviewed for the book don't like RZA's beats. There's much more than that though, just read it.

Well, its only a must read for sample-based hip hop producers. A very, very, very small percentage of music producers out there.

SP

Well, its only a must read for sample-based hip hop producers. A very, very, very small percentage of music producers out there.

SP

True. It is an interesting read even if you don't sample though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back