Reason noob, needs some explaining? please

Mr.BiG

Ok im not really stuck with anything yet on reason 2, i just want to know what does what and how, e.g how do i actually work the matrix pattern sequencer. What does it hook up with and how. So could someone do this for me.

Module: (module name)
What It Does: (insert main function here)
What It Hooks Up To: (what it hooks up to e.g do i have to press tab and manually hook it up with stuff)
How Do I work It: (--------------)

Thank you i appreciate it. :)

Last edited:
first of all put in amixer so everything will autmatically connect to it. (to connect your self press tab)

1. synths- malstrom and..... another one
used to make parts of a beat with synth sounds.
hook it to the matrix ( just put the matrix in directly after and it should hook up itself) then just put the midi dots where u want them and the volme u want them. ( u can also use the main sequencer, its a little more complicted.)

2. samplers- nn19 and the advancded one
used to amke beat parts with ur own samples or the samples they give you on soundbanks. (also uses matix or main sequencer)

3. also, there effects, which are basicaly self-explantory.

ok thanx butiv hooked up the subtractor synth to the matrix sequencer and iv jus put in any old pattern and pressed "run" and theres no sound????:( (and the red button sayin pattern is on)

ok u see where u place the red dots there should be an empty space under it. if u click there its volume that u have to raise it for each little midi dot.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's actually a really straightforward tutorial regarding the use of the Matrix in your manual...

ok shortly after i posted i did actually look at the demo song and see the volumes at the bottom so iv got it now thanx. I didnt get a manual with my version ;)

The key to Reason is not to give up.

It does look and appear very confusing at first.

If the Matrix is causing some confusion try ignoring it for now and instead, use the main sequencer window's piano roll edit grid to compose instead until you get the hang of things and then go back to it later.

OK let me see if i got this right,
iv composed a melody on the matrix tweaked it, then do i put it into the piano rol on the main sequencer and copy from the matrixto the main sequencer?? Thats what iv done so far :D

Mr.BiG said:
OK let me see if i got this right,
iv composed a melody on the matrix tweaked it, then do i put it into the piano rol on the main sequencer and copy from the matrixto the main sequencer?? Thats what iv done so far :D

Yep!

Once you've composed your pattern simply set the left and right markers in the main sequencer window and then click 'copy pattern to track' button on the matrix sequencer (make sure that you have selected the correct sequencer lane on the main sequencer so that you have the little midi connector icon showing against the synth lane for the unit attached to the matrix).

That's it.

:)

i got a question for the NN-XT, NN-19, REX PLAYER, and whatever.....whenever i load a sample, loop or whatever file in there....i'll play it out in my sequencer....then let's say i wanna load another file in there....how do i do that....? do i have to load another sampler/rex player there? been meaning to ask this for a while.

I found that their training CD is really great for the basics.......Its like 30 bones.

Sorry homie,, Didn't mean to dis the question.. You just need to bring up a new sampler and load the new sample in there.

Peace,
Dylan B

Last edited by a moderator:
dealinbeatz said:
I found that their training CD is really great for the basics.......Its like 30 bones.:monkey: :monkey:

why you gotta do me like that kid....?

Big Corleone said:
i got a question for the NN-XT, NN-19, REX PLAYER, and whatever.....whenever i load a sample, loop or whatever file in there....i'll play it out in my sequencer....then let's say i wanna load another file in there....how do i do that....? do i have to load another sampler/rex player there? been meaning to ask this for a while.

OK.

As far as I am aware, only one loop at a time can be loaded into and played through the Dr Rex loop player so if you want to use the Dr Rex for your loops, you need to create one per loop required in your track.

However, with the samplers, it is possible to map out various different samples to differing keyboard notes in just one unit (whether virtual or to play through your hardware synth) but I do not do this since I like to have a separate Reason unit for each individual sound so that it is easier to control the volumes of the individual sounds in the mixer.

:)

Back