Reason 6 vs. FL Studio: Which is better?

What should I get?

• Total voters
Learn for my mistake.

Mine was a home based studio and it was broken into while I was working a full-time job. Who ever did it obviously knew who me. I have my suspensions, but no evidence yet. Stay with a small set up if you're a producer and rarely, if ever, record people at your crib. Those of you who insist on building a home studio and recording people continuously should seriously consider:

• 24/7 security
  • property surveillance
  • equipment tracking
  • home business insurance
I'm much wiser from this experience now. Don't even think about it if you have to work a full-time job somewhere else.

Does reason do VST yet? It's used to be more of a soundmaking/loops-programming software IMO and not actually a DAW. FLStudio on the otherhand is a complete studio. They are both good at different things, but I've used reason 3 and 4 and while it has good sounds I didn't really like the only vertical interface and how it doesn't fill the screen left to right (Maybe is different now.) FLStudio just gets better and better and has lifetime updates so is absolutely my favourite DAW by a long shot. I use it for all of the electronic music I make. Though I do use reaper for recording some actual instruments and vocals etc when I record other people. Reason 6 seems to look quite good but this (from the site FAQ) : "What kind of copy protection will Reason 6 use? - Reason and Reason Essentials use the Propellerhead Ignition Key for authorization."

Required:

• Internet connection for registration
  • Free USB port for Ignition Key
FAIL. I wouldn't buy it personally for this alone. Sick of all these crappy protection schemes (paticularly dongles) that don't work anyway. IMO cracked software is unavoidable and I buy the software I like and wish to support anyway. Same for music. Reaper has the right idea for it's licensing scheme. I bought it because I could afford the fair price and I like their work. Same for FLstudio: Simple registry key which is always available from your account online, and it makes the demo version instantly the full version + you get lifetime upgrades. Win. Like any music software, 'Which is better' is subjective and not something you can define really though. Demo them both, try both, use both? Having said all that; For the price reason has nothing to offer me personally.

Last edited:
LMAO for some reason I can see OP as the guy all like "HAI GUIZE I HAVE A REALLY SICK STUDIO AT MY CRIB WANNA COME SEE???"

Yeah you got nice stuff, personally I wouldn't let ANYBODY in my house or know what I have as far as equipment or hell even computer programs.

Does reason do VST yet?

I've always felt that it was best to use reason in Rewire mode with other programs like pro tools or cubase. I haven't had any experience using logic but I'm guessing it works pretty much the same. This is the only way that I know to use reason and vst together.

Sick of all these crappy protection schemes (paticularly dongles) that don't work anyway. IMO cracked software is unavoidable and I buy the software I like and wish to support anyway.

That cracked software comes from collections of stolen software, like mine! This is why nobody is allowed in my studio, ever. All tracks must be sent via email.

Its funny about the pay what u want thing. Ppl on the props website are flipping out over people saying I'm just paying $1. Shouldn't give the people the option if u don't want them to use it

i like fruityloops.....but F*&$ man i been using it since 98 so of course im gonna say FL...but the question you should ask yourself....(and you should already know the answer) is what do i work better with?....or juz flip a coin

I usually don't comment on blogs but this blog inspired me to make one compliment as I know it's not enough for the meaningful context in your writing as one could understand it easily. Thanks for sharing.

I dont know what production software to use to start out producing beats.. I am a total novice at everything pertaining to software and wonder what program would be best for me. Garageband doesn't seem to have any really hot sounds for hip hop music and when I try to manipulate the sounds they sound even worse. I have a mac and thats it so maybe someone can also give some knowledge about equipment I should buy also
Anyhelp much appreciated..

LinearDrummer1

Back