Is it really better to sample from vinyl? What setup would you recommend?

peshti

Iv'e done a lot of e-diggin, I mean I have a lot of artists I can sample from. Since I don't sample from vinyl I don't really see the benefit, what does vinyl add to your beat?

I mean does the beat sound better/fuller etc if you sample from vinyl? I'm just wondering and I'm trying to justify if I need a technics turntable or not.

Any input would be much appreciated :).

Thanks

Peshti

I used to e-dig a lot but much prefer to sample from vinyl now... For me it's partly workflow (Maschine) and partly the excitement I get from coming in after a shopping trip and listening to what I got, finding something I can use and getting it in quick.

My turntable is the fixed stylus hifi type - came out of a junk shop for 12 quid and has a built in phone preamp so goes straight into my interface.

For sampling any turntable will work - I would've thought that the cartridge/stylus/needle would be a more important couice than the turntable itself...

I think them huge black Cds have a samplerate of like...50khz or something so it might be better than cd since cd is 44.1khz.
But in general it depends on samplerate.

Not sure if upsampling even does anything tbh but then again never tried such a thing yet.
An advantage of those would be that, and that only matters cuz timestretchin.

Better is a subjective term, nadamean? Old head's swear by records, younger dudes swear by YouTube. It's all a preference on what works with you and your workflow. "Fuller" happens in the mix. Some e-digging gives you horrible quality. Just gotta take it on a case by case basis. I prefer vinyl just for the simple fact it is more fun for me.

I think them huge black Cds have a samplerate of like...50khz or something so it might be better than cd since cd is 44.1khz.
But in general it depends on samplerate.

Not sure if upsampling even does anything tbh but then again never tried such a thing yet.
An advantage of those would be that, and that only matters cuz timestretchin.

Analog doesn't have a sample rate. It's a continuous signal, not a discrete series of samples.

...That's an interesting bit of info. So those fellas who prefer analogue can timestretch without artifacts?
That would be one big advantage.

...That's an interesting bit of info. So those fellas who prefer analogue can timestretch without artifacts?
That would be one big advantage.

No because as soon as you put in your DAW and convert to digital you lose that advantage. I can't think of any way to do an entirely analogue timestretch without affecting pitch at the same time, but if there is a way it would probably involve a huge mechanical machine and be really expensive and laborious.

Last edited:
Maybe doing 88.2 or 96khz in daw settings.
But if analogue has no samplerate [WTF O__O]
That would mean it goes beyond even the 192khz samplerate.

So one of them things...plus a high samplerate setting in a daw would be nuts but I'm stickin to digital and midi devices.

i actually do both. vinyl and mp3. but i love shopping for vinyl because you can almost feel the history behind the music when you first put that needle on the record. plus, it gives you a cool collection. some of my vinyl inherited from my grandparents when they passed. the rest, i purchased from princeton record exchange, the best record store in NJ. i also go to this other place not too far from my house called spina records. but to each his or her own, as long as the beat comes out dope, that's all that matters.

I thought analogue stuff was bound some of the things digital coding was at first.

But after reading this thread, it is now understandable why some choose the hardware route.

Back