Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Real Difference between a Producer, Composer, and Beatmaker!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Originally posted by LANSTARR.COM
    1) No one said you have to play many instruments to be a producer. Everyone is taking that part way out of context. That section was a list of quality that helps make a producer better. Any added musical knowledge will give a producer an advantage. Even none musical things that can apply to music (e.g. physics) can give a producer an advantage. How can you argue that gained knowledge is not advantageous? Again, you don't have to play many instruments to be a producer, these were just a list of the most common qualities that can help a music producer to become better or to tell someone looking for a producer what sort of qualities to look for.

2) Like someone said above, Clive isn't really a music producer, he is an executive producer. There is a difference. He is involved with the business aspects and decision making more and not the creation of the actual song. A music producer is involved more with the creation process involved with making a song. Remember though, the jobs people do cross many times, just like in any business. A techie may do some coffee getting for his/her boss just as a secretary may fix a paper jam in a printer. Sometimes an executive producer may do some of the jobs a music producer does may do some of the jobs a songwriter does etc and vise versa.

3) Hip Hop has distorted the meaning of what a producer is. When you bring this discussion to the table of people involved in many other genres, you don't get the same backlash. And like someone else said, back before hip hop when songwriter and musicians made the underlying music for singers, they were not called the producer of the track. They were given credits for writing or composing the song. In hip hop, the producer also makes the beat a lot of the time, so people started to confuse the titles. I was just attempting to clarify that. I figured I would get a lot of backlash from many people. But as I said in my original post, don't argue with it just because you may not fall in the category you desire to be in. This was just meant to be a reference, copy and pasted (some parts) and paraphrased from other publications for validity. This is not solely my opinion.

4) Also, as someone else said, these are just titles, who cares? I agree with that statement. In my original post I did say to continue to do what you do. But you can't argue with a definition. An apple is an apple. How can you argue that no, an apple is an orange? Maybe you don't care whether it is an apple or an orange, you just care that it is a fruit. That is fine. But that doesn't change the fact that it is an apple. If I am a CFO of a business, I may do some of the things a CEO does and the CEO may do many of my jobs. Does that make me a CEO? No. Does it matter, as long as the job gets done? No. After all, it is just a title.

I was just [attempting to] clarify things for some of the younger people who make beats and all of a sudden call themselves producers and CEOís of fictional record labels. I did the same thing when I was younger. Itís fun to play pretend when you are a kid. But sometimes people start to think the pretend is reality and confuse the difference.

I didnít mean to ruffle anyoneís feathers. Continue to do what you do. Keep banging out them beats and trying to improve your game. I know thatís what I am trying to do.

Peace

you just confused everyone that has no idea how the real thing really is. that's misleading to try to copy and paste other's opinions and make it seem concrete when it really isnt. every term that we use in music is trend based in terms of definition and you are confused by this but you are genuinely tryin to help out others. that's bad tho. you are like that policeman in "THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW" that lead all the people out of the library to freeze in the cold. didint mean to kill them but that's what he did. you dont understand something but you find a sudden sense of epiphany and wish to share it. in the future i think you should hold off on the sharing until you become an actual participant in the field that you are trying to "drop knowledge" on.
    once again lan.. you my boy.. no offence meant.

Thanks
    Originally posted by j-traxx you are like that policeman in "THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW" that lead all the people out of the library to freeze in the cold. didint mean to kill them but that's what he did.
    Damn kid... going for the kill right there.

Still I feel everything I posted is valid, and obviously the industry "experts" feel it is also. I just chose to paraphrase from others to add validity to the definitions since "I am no one" and I knew I would get that "who are you to make up these definitions" statement. Of course in a forum where the majority of people "produce" hip hop they are going to disagree with the definitions because it is telling them they are not producers or composers. But I trust the views of a person 20-30 years deep in the game rather than a neophyte hip hopper especially since we can see that by industry standard the definition has become distorted by the said hip hopper. But anyway, like I say, it doesn't change anything. Continue to do what you do and bang them beats out.

PS this is not something I suddently stumbled on. Just decided to put it together after seeing a number of people on another forum talkin about it.

PPS, I am a musician first before anything. Been one before I ever made a beat. I am a beat maker after that, followed by a producer. Not a composer at all, even though I have composed music in the past. So I am not dropping knowlege on something I know nother about. But at the same time I am not going to act like an expert. I am still learning. 15 years deep in learning.
    Last edited by LANSTARR.COM; 02-14-2005 at 04:42 PM.
    Personal Site: LANSTARR.COM
    STARRSYNTH, ELEPHO, and STELLAPHEX VST

Tutorial: Making your Basslines Thump

Thanks

Damn kid... going for the kill right there.

Still I feel everything I posted is valid, and obviously the industry "experts" feel it is also. I just chose to paraphrase from others to add validity to the definitions since "I am no one" and I knew I would get that "who are you to make up these definitions" statement. Of course in a forum where the majority of people "produce" hip hop they are going to disagree with the definitions because it is telling them they are not producers or composers. But I trust the views of a person 20-30 years deep in the game rather than a neophyte hip hopper especially since we can see that by industry standard the definition has become distorted by the said hip hopper. But anyway, like I say, it doesn't change anything. Continue to do what you do and bang them beats out.

PS this is not something I suddently stumbled on. Just decided to put it together after seeing a number of people on another forum talkin about it.

PPS, I am a musician first before anything. Been one before I ever made a beat. I am a beat maker after that, followed by a producer. Not a composer at all, even though I have composed music in the past. So I am not dropping knowlege on something I know nother about. But at the same time I am not going to act like an expert. I am still learning. 15 years deep in learning.
    Well said Lan, I feel where you comin' from on that. I understand your thoughts too Traxx, but I do have to agree a bit more with what Lan said.. an apple is an apple, so define the terms as it is. The music industry, particularly the hiphop/R&B part of it has tainted producer a bit much, and I do agree that it seems that nowadays, a "beatmaker" can send a beat that an artist really really wants, and the artist will then in turn list him/her as the producer of the track, which went to my question earlier on the post which was not answered. I've been doin' beats for a few years, and whether people consider me a producer, beatmaker, fruit user, etc... makes no difference to me.. as long as my credit is given wherever it belongs, that's fine.. if I make a beat and it's used by a major artist, I'd want credit on the album, whether "produced by" or "beat provided by" or "instrumental made by".. it don't matter. One thing I strongly agree on is what Lan said... do what you do, bang out the beats.. that's what it all boils down to.. the most persistent and devoted will be recognized however you want to slice it, beatmaker, composer, producer, sampler genius, drum stroker, etc etc.. it's all about pushing forward, tryin' to achieve what you want to do, and ultimately getting your name out there to where it's more known and you have the knowledge to ensure that you are given the credit you deserve for whatever craft it is that you do, whether composing, producing, beatmaking, etc.

Keep doin' what'chu do, like Lan said.. that's what matters.. CEO, CFO, producer, beatmaker.. my main concern is that I get recognized, I learn what I can, and I continue creating what I truly love to create.. music, whether hiphop beats, movie scores, whatever. It's all about the music in the end.. well, for some of us it is.. for others, it's all about the label, the title, or the money overall. Be eazy, and good luck to all of you, however you want to be titled.. beatmaker to me is fine if that's what peepz wanna call me. I'm a still hustle mine. Bless. Peace.

Genycis
    www.genycis.com
    www.soundclick.com/genycis
    Hip Hop Beats at Genycis.com
    Sound Samples for FL Studio, Reason, Etc at SoundsForBeats.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Genycis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    From the websters dictionary

"produce" to make or to create,to present or bring into view.

"production" the proccess or act of producing,ie a play,a lyric, or piece of music.

producers come in all kinds we are all producers because the definition of produce is to make or create we are all creating or making in some form or another so there is no difference in a composer,beatmaker, or a "producer" they all create there for they all produce so fuk anyone who thinks otherwise!

IMHO the only execption to all of this is people who "produce" something thats allready produced you know who you are!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 187 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hip Hop has distorted the meaning of what a producer is.
    Originally posted by LANSTARR.COM Of course in a forum where the majority of people "produce" hip hop they are going to disagree with the definitions because it is telling them they are not producers or composers.
    That pretty much sums it up. The thing is, there's your definition, my definition, and Websters definition of a "producer" . . .

To me, when I hear a person who's made 5 beats, can't play an instrument, and doesn't know any music theory refer to themself as a producer, I think it shows no respect for the term "producer" - as if anyone can become a producer overnight. That's because to me, a producer is someone who fully understands every aspect of making a track.

But if someone wants to call themselves a producer right after they made their 2nd beat and touched an EQ knob for the first time, so be it. I suppose because you created something, or "produced" something, that makes you a "producer". So, as long as we can communicate effectively, I'm cool with whatever you wanna call yourself - I may still disagree, but I respect the fact you are entitled to your opinion.

The bottom line is everyone has an opinion. To some people it's just semantics, but to others its not just semantics. Some people have strong meanings attached to certain words you may not. I don't think either side can definitively tell the other they are wrong - not in the "everything is relative" world of today.

The problem I have is when one side aggressively defends their position as absolute truth, resorting to calling the other person names, and telling them they don't know ****. **** that. Just because you don't agree with their definition doesn't mean it's wrong. If you show no respect for other peoples meaning of words, why should they respect yours?
    Crunk off.

Thanks
    for me...i dont call myself a producer,beat maker or any of those things..i would consider myself an aspiring musician ... i take piano lessons ... already play drums (my girl bout to break bread for a new V-studio set for me yyeeaaahhh) i enjoy listening and attempting to reproduce all types of music .. classical,country,rock,hip-hop,r&b
    we all forget that theres a beauty in music..a lot cats are stuck on
    "im a hip hop producer"

actually when you catagorize your self a beat maker .. producer ..you miss the bigger picture of musicianship which is what makes a good producer,beat maker the knowledge of the music ... ive heard good hip hop as well as bad by well known artists and underground musicians...hell ive heard some hot stuff here.. all im saying is learn the math of music ..theres a beauty in all music as a MUSICIAN you can see it .. producers beat maker ... why cant we just say musician .. is all im sayin

(sorry for the soap box speech)
    [url=http://www.discfunktional.com/demopage.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/bone_collector/shine.gif[/IMG][/url]
    [color=yellow][b]Click Sig to Hear Filthy Crook Beats[/color][/b]

[img]http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/finger.gif[/img][b][color=yellow] The N!GG@ ya love ta hate[/b][/color][img]http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/finger.gif[/img]

Thanks
    Originally posted by mistaox

nice find...still proves my point...you dont have to play "many" instruments to bea a good composer/Musical director/producer..
    correct ...not many just 1 or have a knowledge of music .. quincy jones is one of the greatest producers / musicians of all time and his primary instrument is a trumpet .. but he composed major musical pieces and launced some of the biggest names in the industry.. P-Diddy has been using samples for ever and is considered a great producer..but he has himself admitted he is no musician ?? go figure
    good music = good music regardless the genre' or production process ... how many times on this site have you heard a smokin beat .. but the artist lacks the equipment to finalize it so it sounds hollow .. does that make the beat anyless hot ... is that a clue of horrible production work or a lack of musicianship .. truthfully you NEVER finish learning the art of makin music i think this is something we all need to grasp on to
    [url=http://www.discfunktional.com/demopage.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/bone_collector/shine.gif[/IMG][/url]
    [color=yellow][b]Click Sig to Hear Filthy Crook Beats[/color][/b]

[img]http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/finger.gif[/img][b][color=yellow] The N!GG@ ya love ta hate[/b][/color][img]http://www.novahq.net/forum/images/smilies/finger.gif[/img]

Thanks
    this is a perfect answer to a lot of my questions... Thank you so much. Its confirmed, I am a PRODUCER, COMPOSER, ARRANGER, meaning I play several instruments, and finish the song to make it Radio Ready. Cool.

Thanks
    We are glad this zombie thread has been of service, then!

I cannot at this time personally vouch for the accuracy of any information contained herein, as I have not read the entire thread (and will not at this time). But your conclusion is sound.

GJ
    Gregg Juke
    Nocturnal Productions
    The Sonic Vault Recording Studio
    Drum! Magazine Contributor

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rhythmgj For This Useful Post:

Thread Information