Quick little question for yall

makingofgotham

If you were to spend 500 bucks on hardware/software starting from absolutely nothing (only FL Studio and a laptop), what equipment/plugins would you spend this money on?

First, I'd raise the budget and going forward I wouldn't spend on plugins, instead I'd master the stock sounds. I'd spend on an interface under the aforementioned price but I'd get one based on my wants/needs and not marketing hype.

You didn't mention what kind of music you wanna make... And if you don't know what YOU need, all you need is barely nothing.

I'd get studio monitors and an interface... probably cost a little more than $500 for something decent, but not a crazy amount more

I think I've spent less than that so far and I'm pretty happy.

If you have FL get some good speakers and/or some good headphones.

That's all you need.

Oh didn't read that right, so if you already use fl studio and a laptop I'd suggest then:
Focusrite solo
Klipsch 2.1 promedia.
Sennheiser 448, shure srh440 or maudio q40

Thanks to everybody for your advice, really appreciate the feedback I get on this forum. Now if you want you can drop your soundcloud links here below so I can show some love back to yall !

First, I'd raise the budget and going forward I wouldn't spend on plugins, instead I'd master the stock sounds. I'd spend on an interface under the aforementioned price but I'd get one based on my wants/needs and not marketing hype.

So basically what most of you guys are saying is hardware > software?

$400 on studio monitors and an interface, $100 on a midi keyboard.

Yea that was what i was thinking, now I'm having doubts whether I should buy something like the m audio keystation with 49 keys (giving me the ability to play multiple octaves) or something like Arturia Mini Lab (which has key sensitivity AND would give me 5000 sounds which seems kind of a big deal when you only have stock plugins).

I think I've spent less than that so far and I'm pretty happy.

If you have FL get some good speakers and/or some good headphones.

That's all you need.

So you feel like the stock sounds in FL sound any good? I mean I can make some decent sounds in Harmor and GMS, I even like Sakura sometimes but if I want a less electronic vibe things like FL Keys or Slayer suck so bad imo

All daws can use vsts. There are too many good ones.
Freeware, and paid.

Stock plugins are good. No daw has everything in it by default.
If you don't want to learn your stock plugins you don't have to, but if you do then realize they are very versatile and cover many bases.
Audio interfaces are dedicated soundcards, not analogue hardware, and they are used for asio drivers than reduce latency.

Last edited:
An Audio Interface for sure in my opinion, because you are running a Laptop it will obviously be outboard, choosing between USB & Firewire will have to be a choice...

"SOS Editor In Chief Paul White replies: After speaking with various interface designers, it seems that both USB 2 and Firewire 400/800 are equally capable of handling in excess of 16 channels of simultaneous audio (which, of course, would be well over the top for your current needs), while USB 3 is considerably faster than Firewire and can handle a huge channel count. However, USB 3 audio interfaces are not yet widely available, and the only model I know of to date comes from RME, who use field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) to create, in effect, their own USB 3 equivalent." Source: http://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-usb-firewire-or-thunderbolt

Back