question about the Roland SP-606

P

prolific

I'm pretty new to everything. . but I was planning to get the Akai MPC2000xl and went to samash yesterday to check it out. . as it turned out, it had no sounds on it. . couldnt do much. . but there was a Roland SP-606 on and I was ****in around with it... **** wasnt that bad, I was goin pretty crazy wit it.. so my question is. . since I'm a beginner. . would you guys say I should cop that to start out with?. .
also. . does anyone use the Roland SP-606 to make their beats? If so, let me know. . thanks, I appreciate all suggestions,opinions, and info!!

prolific said:
I'm pretty new to everything. . but I was planning to get the Akai MPC2000xl and went to samash yesterday to check it out. . as it turned out, it had no sounds on it. . couldnt do much. . but there was a Roland SP-606 on and I was ****in around with it... **** wasnt that bad, I was goin pretty crazy wit it.. so my question is. . since I'm a beginner. . would you guys say I should cop that to start out with?. .
also. . does anyone use the Roland SP-606 to make their beats? If so, let me know. . thanks, I appreciate all suggestions,opinions, and info!!

I'm surprised to see the MPC had no sounds on it, my guess is that you've never used an MPC (not that I'm any good with one) or read the manual.

But, onto your question.

The SP-606 is a good machine, and yes you can make professional quality beats with it. Since it is a box, it is limited to what it can do and how you achieve this, but that goes for anything.

I can't think of any one producer who uses this machine off the top of my head, not that I care, but I'm sure the big shots either use it still or have at least smashed out one bager with it.

This is an upgrade from the 505, so anyone who used the 505 would also know a thing or two about them. This is an expanded model, but based on the same princicple from the 505.

I like Roland stuff, definitely in my top brands for equipment. Good name means a lot when it comes to gear.

Also, I tend to like the removable storage idea, compactflash, upto 512, but you can just buy like 10 of those over the next couple years when they fill up with the bangers.

Also, if they didn't do you enough justice with that, they toss in the USB connection, so that right there makes it worth the while, no need to store anything on the machine itself for too long.

You can also import wav and aiff files from the CF cards, which is nice if you find a sample online that you want (that's also saying you have a CF reader).

There is tons of info on this machine that make it sound good, though I have not actually played with it to my knowledge (I've played with too many to remember every single one).

I do think Roland is a good company and if you started to get used to it just in the store, then I'd suggest that you really look into everything you can find on it, learn about it, and really mull it over for a bit. Find a good price after thinking and researching, then buy it.

Without the proper knowledge of a tool, the tool with remain useless.

i had a sp-606
making high quality music? possible, but it has its limitations

for instance, the 4 track sequencer - not really adequate. there are ways to get around it, but this shouldnt be so difficult

also, the sequencer itself has limitations - like if u have a long kick at the end of your track, it will get cutoff every time the track repeats

i did love all the effects though.

in the end i didnt feel it was worth it

so, do yall think I should just go with the MPC-2000xl rather than the SP-606? (Keep in mind I'm just startin out too)

I dotn own either and Im in the same process as you for tryign to choose the rigth ssampler for me. I would go with the MPC if you can afford it, alot more options from what I read. You would definatly be able to do alot more stuff on the mpc.

Since your starting out there is still the possibility that you might get board of this in a while. Im convinced I wont because I cant keep my mind off of this stuff.

I know some people that are pretty happy with the sp606.. Since your just starting off i think that i would be a good beginner tool. but after you start getting better you might get bored with it quick... On the other hand, the samething could happen with the 2kxl.. So i guess it also depends on how serious you are about music..

If you want to start out slow then go with the sp606... I had the sp and now i got the 2kxl.. so i'm going by personal experience.. I know i didn't help much.. lol.. But good luck..

yea, thanks man..
I am serious about music tho. . verryyyy serious.. I'm also looking into the mpc2500. . I heard it's a little better than the 2000xl and easier to make beats with it too

prolific said:
yea, thanks man..
I am serious about music tho. . verryyyy serious.. I'm also looking into the mpc2500. . I heard it's a little better than the 2000xl and easier to make beats with it too

A much needed upgrade to be very honest.

Takes the grandfather of sampling and breathes in new life.

A bit easier as to the menu functions, and I think there is a CD burning option, if memory serves correct.

Thing is, you lose the 12 bit sound the original 2000xl had, but the 16 isn't bad, you can still grimey stuff up later in before final mix downs.

I think if you're really serious, go with the MPC, much more functions.

Just remember, the SP 606 is a great machine, you just have to look at what the limits are.

RZA, great producer by any standards, says he tries to buy a new drum machine/sampler for every project.

He has the MV 8000 by Roland now, and that has become his favorite tool, doesn't even touch his computer anymore.

Chops and all right on the MV.

So it really depends on you, your pocketbook, and features that you need and want.

MPC is great, more tools but more expensive.

SP 606, a bit limited, but you can always use a computer for the rest.

unless i was on a tight budget id get the mpc and only the 1000 and 2500 come with sounds and they arent that great. the idea of the mpc is that its a sampler and a midi production station so sample ur own drums into it

Xabiton said:
unless i was on a tight budget id get the mpc and only the 1000 and 2500 come with sounds and they arent that great. the idea of the mpc is that its a sampler and a midi production station so sample ur own drums into it

Forgot about horrible stock sounds, but I could remember playing with something on the floor models.

MPC is ideal, but there are a lot of gear and machines out there that do the same thing in a bit different of an approach.

i believe madlib uses a 606 for a lot of his stuff, or maybe it was a 303 (if there even is a machine called the 303, memory is hazy)

MintyFreshBeats said:
i believe madlib uses a 606 for a lot of his stuff, or maybe it was a 303 (if there even is a machine called the 303, memory is hazy)

Are you talking the MC 303 groovebox?

I do know about that... Also, the TB 303 sounds are so old school west coast feel...

yeah i read an interview with him (it MIGHT... have been mf doom but im pretty sure madlib) where he talked about the sp-606, (small chance was the 303 groovebox) but i think it was the 606.

MintyFreshBeats said:
yeah i read an interview with him (it MIGHT... have been mf doom but im pretty sure madlib) where he talked about the sp-606, (small chance was the 303 groovebox) but i think it was the 606.

Lib is on the 606 tip, but don't mean that MF Doom hasn't touched one too.

I bet both of them have done production with it either now or in the past.

I think you have alot of great options on the MPC 1000 that oyu dont have on the 2kxl, like hte ability to have a harddrive (up to about 120gigs) 4x the memory and usb connection, and it has most if not allo of hte same features with the new os, its is worth looking into it.

Ive got the 505. I like the fact that i dont have to use any software with it. ( i think you do with the 606 ) All in all its a baby MPC but only with a 4 track sequencer and a little less features. ( i use a different sequencer )

I dont like some of Rolands effects on it too. such as the bpm change ( if you go down over 3 bpms your sample starts getting choppy )

MintyFreshBeats said:

he uses the sp-303 and a korg multitrack for alot of his ****. i think i seen a pic of him and Doom using it.

Back