question

evann

i am halfway new to this. i have been using my uncle's equipment for a while but he has a differnt time of computer than i do. i want to start creating at home. what kind of program would you reccomend for an iMac with MacOS 9?
thanks
evann

oh no not the MACs , i would help ya but i dont have a clue about macs :P

my advice buy a PC :) :P

Sub

one more thing

hey now- i may me new to the music scene, but i'm not new to the computer thing
and don't get me started about pcs
so i guess my question is (since i did a little research myself)
would you reccomend Rebirth or waiting to get Reason?
evann

Rebirth and reason are very different, but Reason is going to be really good supposively. Both will work perfectly on your MAC.

If you love the TB303 (acid sound) go for rebirth and have fun.. If you want to integrate samples easily, and other synthesizers, then go for Reason.. It shoudl eb out ina month or so. There will be a fullr eview of it on this site

Take care

HaHa.
Something bad has happened to everybodys keyboards in this post.
maybe someone have swapped keys or spilled some cola? :)

This is just a question:
Aren't the programs basically the same when there's both a mac and a win/pc version?

Yes I think there are basically the same, some functions will be different I think like the midi support, Macs use mostly OMS by Opcode to synchronize music softs and hardwares.

evann, you could already take a look at rebirth, but you'll feel very limited with it quickly, it's only have two monophonic modules (clones of TB303) with the TR808 and 909.
But if you're using a soft like cubase you could use too the Quicktime GM sounds to add piano or basic sounds.
If you like synth programming, go for Reaktor the ultimate synth soft, you can use modules or create your own ones. :)

Hey DJ Sub, most of the professional studios are using Protools on Mac platforms ! ;)

hehe yeah but..

There is a big difference between home user and professional studios. Home user will use the PC for a wide range of uses and does not have the money to waste on expensive prices and repair prices on MAC’s. Professional studios have loads of money to waste the only reason that some studios uses Macs are because back a lil while ago Macs advanced more than PCs did. That is the only real selling point for them and some peeps get conned into thinking that Macs are better still than PC's.

PC's are the standard therefore all the hardware and software company’s are competing in a competitive market and have to compete all of the big company’s efforts are put into PC's eg: intel, Amd, STB, creative that’s why you have better components for pcs and at more competitive prices.

I’m sure Macs are good and im not saying that people don’t write software for em like you have said there is good software for Macs out there, just not as much as there are for PC’s,

So me bottom line is stick with what is cheap and makes computing fun PC’s: )

Ok im sure ya all have ya own opinions and you stick to em , but it needed to be said: P

Sub

I agree DJ Sub, macs are most expensive than PCs...and I'm not really happy with that...but they make some efforts to make them more cheaper now...about audio softs, look at the main ones, they're all avalaible for macs (logic, cubase,...), and macs are also great for some experimental sound design (Metasynth, Cecilia, Max,...).

About OS, I used 8.1 (I got a powermac 7600/132...an old one)...and I can't say it's always stable, but I've good hopes regarding Mac OSX, a more opened OS and you'll be able to use linux base apps, a really good stability, and the management of multiprocs...
About hardwares and repair prices...I'm using my 7600 since more than 3 years, and I never had a problem with it, all the components are assembled and optimised by Apple.

I know that PCs are now much, much better than before, and less expensive. I think I'll change my computer soon and I don't know if I'll stay on mac or not if I take a desktop, but if I go for a laptop, Mac are really better than PCs regarding the specs and the price.

I'm a Mac lover, not a Mac fanatic. I won't say that PCs suck, both platforms have their advantages and disadvantages, maybe Macs are just more easy for newbies. :)

hehe

maybe or maybe not.. :P

But for a newbie how could a PC not be easy ?

Im gonna shut up otherwise u wont here the last of me , but im sure your right and im right : )

But tell me how is a laptop differnt to a desktop machine except its smaller and more expensive?

Sub

I'm not saying I'm right, I just give my point of view...I don't say I got the truth. :)

For me I think that the OS is more simple on Macs for a newbie than on PCs, through my own experience. I got some friends who didn't know a sh#t about computers and they felt more easy with the mac interface.

For laptops, it's different like for displays, coolers, etc...it needs to be more resistant than desktops....

I really don't want to go in an endless debate about Macs against PCs...I just don't want to hear that Macs are sh#t, because it's not the truth.

:)

They don't function 100% the same. To optimise space they usualy use generators to make one item do more than one thing which slows down some functions. I'm not a genius on the matter, but this is what I was told when I asked why my laptop was slow on some functions and not on all (compared to my desktop which has the same specs).

Lets stop now before we all get pissed off with each other , we think what we think : )

Back to the topic !

Evann, check this site for music sharewares for macs :

www.hitsquad.com/smm/mac/

I'll try soon to make a search for useful links for Macs and post them in the Music Portal page. :)

Back