Quality of the beats are sufficient but hard to find rappers

SHIFTontheTrack

First of all, since I am new on this forum, let me introduce myself.

I am SHIFT, 20 years old from The Netherlands. I fell in love with Hip-Hop years ago and about 4 months ago I got into producing.
I've always been very much into music and played guitar before. Also coming from a musically gifted family gave me a basis to build upon.
Don't want to say I am because that is something I will have to find out over time ;)

Basically I feel like I got to the point where I believe my music is suitable for rappers to spit over. In the small time I've been doing this I've dedicated all of my free time to producing and getting to know as much as possible which is now starting to show off. Promotion is a thing which I've started doing a lot for the past week by making a twitter and instagram page and posting loads of content and traffic is slowly starting to rise.

Now to the main question as I've been talking way too much about other stuff;

How did you guys sell your first beats, did rappers come to you, did you go to them with your beats or any other methods?

Any advice is welcome, I just want my music to get that finishing touch.

Most people favour the YouTube, Soundcloud and various beat-selling websites that are out there; and there is money to be made that way if your marketing is on point.

Personally, (and as income isn't my priority) I prefer a more old school approach.
I carry a couple USBs with a couple tracks and a word doc with my details on when I go to gigs, chat to people; buy mercy from the artist and if I rate them - hand it over.
They'll either get back to me or not - and I'm still supporting the scene with my entrance fee and merch purchases.

Also means I can vet who is spitting on my beats - do you really wanna hear something whack or off-kilter (racist shit for instance) on one of your best beats; and to then be associated with that rapper (I'm hesitant to use the term artist in this instance)?
Cos, as unbelievable as it may be - the right-wing has begun to permeate into hiphop and I believe you need to be careful who you work with; reputations are hard-built and easily destroyed.

Last edited:
How did you guys sell your first beats, did rappers come to you, did you go to them with your beats or any other methods?

Congrats Shift on putting yourself and your music out there.

I personally attract paying artists to me just by marketing effectively.

I do pursue artists at times, but the more I progress I do less and less and get paid more and more. Its fairly simple, although does take a small tweak on how you approach things.

To this day my best clients approached me initially through my marketing 'bait' and I've continued to build the relationship and continue to create music with them.

My best advice would be to invest in your knowledge and then apply. Take massive savage action!

Back