Production beginner looking for some guidance

Zach2598

Hey everyone, I'm a huge fan of 90s and early 2000s hip hop and R&B, and my love for listening inspired me to try and produce my own music. I have purchased both Logic Pro X and the AKAI MPK Mini controller, but I have no knowledge whatsoever on how to use either of them. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction and explain in the simplest possible terms for a beginner to understand how to get started. I've tried looking at youtube tutorials but they tend to be too advanced for me to understand. Thanks in advance.

I could help with non-DAW related topics, because I use FL Studio. ;)

I recommend you start practicing by making loops (4 bars sections) of the genres you want to learn.

At the same time, learn how to use:

-DAW
-How to open, save and load projects.
-How to use mixer, arrangement view, options.
-How to open Virtual Studio Technology Instruments (VST-i).
-How to open plugins in general.
-How to render project to audio and zip files.
-How to render stems (advanced).
-Read your DAW manual.

-Production and Mixdown Theory
-How to propely equalize elements.
-How to propely adjust volumes.
-How to use effects like reverb and chorus.
-How to sound design.
-How to use sidechain and compression in general (advanced).
-How to use panning techniques (advanced).
-Search for material to read.

-Arrangement Theory
-Learn how to make an arrangement by trying to remake a track of the genre you want to learn.
-Learn about Layering (this is crucial).
-Listen to A LOT of music.
-Search for books in the internet if you are struggling too hard.

-Composition
-Learn about music scales, chords, notes, etc.
-Learn about harmonic progression, harmonic field, melody, counter-melody, counterpoint.
-Learn how to draw MIDI.

Keep your master channel simple until you study mastering. I recommend you don't use anything in the master bus. (maybe one limiter if you are very beginner and your master bus is clipping like hell)

Consider going to music production college and/or doing online courses, it will speed up your learning curve exponentially.

And most importantly: ASK FOR FEEDBACK!! Don't you ever get butt hurted if you ask for feedback to a pro and you receive negative feedback. It is part of the process.

Hope you become a amazing producer ;)
-4ngus

Hey everyone, I'm a huge fan of 90s and early 2000s hip hop and R&B, and my love for listening inspired me to try and produce my own music. I have purchased both Logic Pro X and the AKAI MPK Mini controller, but I have no knowledge whatsoever on how to use either of them. I'd appreciate it if anyone can point me in the right direction and explain in the simplest possible terms for a beginner to understand how to get started. I've tried looking at youtube tutorials but they tend to be too advanced for me to understand. Thanks in advance.

Check out MacProVideo.com

You may also want to schedule some classes at the apple store. It should be worth it for you.

Last edited:
Dude, honestly there is a lot of trial and error involved and a slight learning curve - I guarantee you , you will feel comfortable within a month of work.
Just make sure you stick to one DAW - my favorite is Ableton, but thats only after working for a year or so on Cubase.

And some basic sound related classes just so you will understand the spectrum and the various basic tools like Compression and EQ -- I recommend Reid Stefans' tutorials on Youtube man!

Dude, honestly there is a lot of trial and error involved and a slight learning curve - I guarantee you , you will feel comfortable within a month of work.
Just make sure you stick to one DAW - my favorite is Ableton, but thats only after working for a year or so on Cubase.

And some basic sound related classes just so you will understand the spectrum and the various basic tools like Compression and EQ -- I recommend Reid Stefans' tutorials on Youtube man!

Yeah, I like Ableton, after learning to master Reason though.

Yo whats good my dude. welcome to the journey of creation through electronics. imma be real with you. shit is gonna fucking crazy at first. at least it was for me. there is so much to learn. but it will all make sense soon.

the fact that you are here means you are on the right track! so good job man! If you wanna make some sick music, heres what you gotta do.

make as much music as you possible can. the best thing you can do in the beggining is mass produce. Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.

this is the best advice i was ever given and ever could give to someone new at production.

thats what the majority of the people you look up to have done. start out small. really small. make a 4 bar loop. just kick, hi hat and snare. boom 1st track ever completed! congrats, you are now one step closer to making really cool art. now make a whole new song. another 4 bar loop. or maybe this time 8 bars with a bass.

its going to be very tempting to wanna fine tune every little aspect of your sound. but not only do you not have the knowledge yet for that, but you may not even have the ear. But you started making music for a reason. so you probably have pretty good taste. trust yours ears and do what you can with the tools and knowledge you have. dont be too hard on yourself also. and dont be afraid to experiment. make some whack ass lopsided beat just for the sake of doing it. you can learn quite a lot from just not giving a fuck and messing around. at least i sure did hahaha.:)

so what i want you to do is make 5 beats a day. yup. 5 whole beats. doesnt matter if its 2 bars or 200 bars. just mass produce. and hit me up in a couple months. id love to see where you are at at that time.

i hope this helped!

Love - Calectic

Last edited:
Yo whats good my dude. welcome to the journey of creation through electronics. imma be real with you. shit is gonna fucking crazy at first. at least it was for me. there is so much to learn. but it will all make sense soon.

the fact that you are here means you are on the right track! so good job man! If you wanna make some sick music, heres what you gotta do.

make as much music as you possible can. the best thing you can do in the beggining is mass produce. Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.
Quantity over Quality.

this is the best advice i was ever given and ever could give to someone new at production.

thats what the majority of the people you look up to have done. start out small. really small. make a 4 bar loop. just kick, hi hat and snare. boom 1st track ever completed! congrats, you are now one step closer to making really cool art. now make a whole new song. another 4 bar loop. or maybe this time 8 bars with a bass.

its going to be very tempting to wanna fine tune every little aspect of your sound. but not only do you not have the knowledge yet for that, but you may not even have the ear. But you started making music for a reason. so you probably have pretty good taste. trust yours ears and do what you can with the tools and knowledge you have. dont be too hard on yourself also. and dont be afraid to experiment. make some whack ass lopsided beat just for the sake of doing it. you can learn quite a lot from just not giving a fuck and messing around. at least i sure did hahaha.:)

so what i want you to do is make 5 beats a day. yup. 5 whole beats. doesnt matter if its 2 bars or 200 bars. just mass produce. and hit me up in a couple months. id love to see where you are at at that time.

i hope this helped!

Love - Calectic
This was an interesting read, why do you preach quantity over quality? Don't most people want quality over quantity?

This was an interesting read, why do you preach quantity over quality? Don't most people want quality over quantity?
I think its because the more you post the more people are gonna see your channel but at the same time you need to have something that sounds good to keep people interested in your music, but massproducing gets a lots of people to your channel (i think)

Sp quantity over quality is better for exposure than having quality beats, right? How about when it comes to learning how to make beats for the first time, is this still the best mindset for newbs?

Well i dont know, mabye search for feedback along the way to get better and better, and watch alot of famous producert to learn important stuff about musicproduktion :)

Back