Is Producing music really that hard?

It's only hard if you make it hard. Playing an instrument really helps though. Join a band, play shows so you can learn what people like, and over all, like what you make and make it till you like it.

An advice from me:
try to get know yourself better. Example: I know when my body/brain sends the signals that something is not what I wanna do atm. And I dont push myself at this moment, beacuse I know that after a break I will come back and make more music. Don't get me wrong, its just my personal experience. I got times when I make 5 beats per day like 2-4 weeks straight and after that Im burned out. I cant do anything new. So I take a break and I know that one day Ill got again this feeling "Omg lets produce something my head gonna explode in few mins cuz i got way too many ideas".

Its all about creativity. You cant make Yourself to be creative. You can expand Your creativity but You cant make Yourself be creative.

Hope You will understand what I mean :x

Actually, a professional producer will more than likely be in a position where you will have to produce even though you don't have the inspiration.
I work as a creative professionally .... (Not as a music producer).... The reason people hire me is because I can deliver consistently..... I don't love every gig.... But I find ways to add my spin, to be inventive and to push myself outside of my comfort zone on every project...

One of the sickest creatives I know once said to me "always aim just above your pay grade "

I was just like you a year and a few months ago. However, i believe i just have natural talent as an artist (i drew/tried playing drums as a kid), and now i produce.

Just keep working. You may think your beats are hard at first, and then after a few months you'll go back and think "... what was i thinking?" lol

I was planning on watching a bunch on youtube videos on logic tutorials to better understand it. I was also gonna teach myself the keyboard. And I am willing to put in the time, I really will be spending about 10-15 hours a day on this.
You CAN do it. I for one started playing keyboards at the age of 27. I was totally tone deaf and did not know what a C major was. hehe. Those were the times.
Your plan using youtube videos is good.
Do not expect yourselves to be able to deliver hit songs after 12 months. It could happens sure, but the odds are thin.
The more time you put into it, the faster you become good at it. But prepare to get exhausted mentally. It is such an overwhelming mountain(s) of information to take in and process that sometimes you will really - after those 12 hours - "give up". Then get some sleep and come back at it. On and on again.
You can do it. By far.

And trust me, nothing gives a better feeling than when you start to get a grasp of songwriting and production and putting songs together that really starts to shine. The feedback of people having heard your first songs, now, some years later they have no clue how you did make it THAT far. Ofc it is hard work, but they never did put that much into music so for them it´s pure magic. :)

You WILL get there; if you never give up.

I´m on Logic too and have given some tutorials on Skype to some beginners. They appreciated a lot.

Hit me up when you are up and running and I´ll do the same for you if you are interested.

Last edited:
I don't know why this thread was brought back up but I'm no longer interested in producing. I'm hoping to get into artist management. I'd love to be a songwriter but I can't figure out melody's.

Ah ok old thread, sorry did not check for that.
I´m sure you are wrong. You can figure out melodies.
But management might be where you shine more.
Start networking! Nothing is more important for a manager. Besides a great act with great songs of course.

Last edited:
Ah ok old thread, sorry did not check for that.
I´m sure you are wrong. You can figure out melodies.
But management might be where you shine more.
Start networking! Nothing is more important for a manager. Besides a great act with great songs of course.

To be honest, I'd much rather be a writer. I've always enjoyed poetry and writing. I just can't for the life of me figure out a melody when I listen to an instrumental.

Last edited:
It´s easy. You just need a push in the general direction. And it helps to know the chords of the instrumental and to have a chord progression that is easy.
Making a melody is easy. Making a good, original an memorable melody, producing it contemporary (or whatever) and writing and ok lyric with it is a tad more of a challenge.
Which is what makes this art form/work so facinating for me.

Know the key of the song, hook up a mic and auto tune and try to sing something in. Voila; you got a melody. You can even talk just over an instrumental track. Just make sure its somewhat in time with the beat. Auto tune will make your talk into a tonal melody. Then you listen for the part you like the most and move them around a little.
Thats a start. But this is something that has to be practiced. Over and over. To get better.
Noone decides to make songs all of a sudden and comes up with fantastic melodies. It took Max Martin (Britney, Backstreet) 2 years to make melodies/songs that worked well enough to be published for the pop industry. And he was a good rock singer even before he started doing pop and production.
He worked every day 10 hours or more straight for 2 years. Under guidance of one of the greatest pop producers who has ever lived (Denniz Pop R.I.P.)
Never give up!

Last edited:
I just don't know if it's worth going after or sticking with artist management. I'm going to Berklee Online in September for a certificate in artist management, but I'm not sure if it's what I really want. I'm trying to relocate to either TX or LA in the coming weeks.

Back