producer points how do they work

rellruger

Ok if a producer is asking 3% royality for a track on an album. How is that broke down along with all the other producers and what they are asking. I know this cant mean the producer gets 3% on the whole album. Say the artist is getting 12% and if every producer is asking 3%. If so, If there are 5 different producer the artist is getting 0%. Someone enlighten me on this

rell...

If your label is commisioning only 3% for your track on an album, then it is likely that other producers would get around the same rate, depending on your popularity in the music industry.

By the sounds of it, its is a percentage of the % if you get me.

10 Tracks on the album.
you get 3/1000 and the artist would get 12/1000.

And im pretty sure compilation and album deals work differently.

Babyfingaz

yo, rell everything in the music business is broken down in pennies not dollar amount.

in a "all in" deal, you combine artist and producer % together.
your artist @ 12% and the producer(s) @ 3%. and let's say you have 5 different producers on the album all of the %'s will be added and broken down to pennies. the artist would get 12 cent and all the producers will get 3 cent apiece, per number of tracks that they produce.
example:

producer #1 produce 2 tracks = .06
producer #2 produce 3 tracks = .09
producer #3 produce 4 tracks = .12
producer #4 produce 1 tracks = .03

so if the album sells 100,000 units
producer #1 get's $6,000.00
producer #2 get's $9,000.00
producer #3 get's $12,000.00
producer #4 get's $3,000.00

this doesn't reflex advance money or recording cost.

maddog000 said:
yo, rell everything in the music business is broken down in pennies not dollar amount.

in a "all in" deal, you combine artist and producer % together.
your artist @ 12% and the producer(s) @ 3%. and let's say you have 5 different producers on the album all of the %'s will be added and broken down to pennies. the artist would get 12 cent and all the producers will get 3 cent apiece, per number of tracks that they produce.
example:

producer #1 produce 2 tracks = .06
producer #2 produce 3 tracks = .09
producer #3 produce 4 tracks = .12
producer #4 produce 1 tracks = .03

so if the album sells 100,000 units
producer #1 get's $6,000.00
producer #2 get's $9,000.00
producer #3 get's $12,000.00
producer #4 get's $3,000.00

this doesn't reflex advance money or recording cost.

how would this work if there was 15 tracks on the album and 5 different producers

producer #1 produce 5 tracks = .?
producer #2 produce 4 tracks = .?
producer #3 produce 3 tracks = .?
producer #4 produce 2 tracks = .?
producer #5 produce 1 tracks = .?

thanks maddog. I see how it gets broke down. the producers would be getting 3cents on the dollar .

so would it be 3% of the cd whosale price / times the amount sould

so if the cd whosale at say $10 wich gives you .30cnts per song per cd. is that how you figured $3,000 per trk at 100,000 sold

so i guess if i produced all 10 songs i would be intitled to .30cnts times 10 + $3 per album

so 100,00 sold i would recieve 30,000 from 3% royalty

BUT I THOUGHT THE PRODUCERS POINTS CAME OUT OF THE ARTIST POINTS. SO YOUR SAYING IF THE ARTIST IS AT 12% MY 3% IS COMMING FROM THE LABEL? WHAT IF THERES A BIG NAME PRODUCER ON THE ALBUM WHO WANTS 6 OR 7% ....... IM STILL KINDA LOST:rolleyes:

retail price = 14.98, 15.98, etc

wholesale= ~$10 (this is what the distributor sells it to the blockbuster music for)

the label gets ~$7 to $8 per cd, then kicks the artist a little as possible..(major labels that have there own presing and distro channel get probably $10/ unit) remember vh1, TLC as a group was making less than $0.60 total on every album sale(and thats beefore the company start recouping and packaging)...they had to split that between em....lol thats how the rich stay rich and artist stay poor as hell

everthing is always based on the retail price, that i just how it is

Asa said:
retail price = 14.98, 15.98, etc

wholesale= ~$10 (this is what the distributor sells it to the blockbuster music for)

the label gets ~$7 to $8 per cd, then kicks the artist a little as possible..(major labels that have there own presing and distro channel get probably $10/ unit) remember vh1, TLC as a group was making less than $0.60 total on every album sale(and thats beefore the company start recouping and packaging)...they had to split that between em....lol thats how the rich stay rich and artist stay poor as hell

everthing is always based on the retail price, that i just how it is

Ok I'm still confuse lets slow it down a lil bit,

Lets say for example I have an indie label:

I whole sale the cd @ $5.00 to Blockbuster
Blockbuster sales it for $10.00

And lets say my company and my artist has a 50/50 split
per project release...now if I pay them 50% of the retail price I would be givin them all the money

Shed some light on the situation because...to me it seems smarter to negoiate on the wholesale price than the retail since the stores jack up the price so HIGH

Please explain how the producer would get paid....is that a 50/50 split from the label and the artist or is this 100% out of the artist cut?

Ok I'm still confuse lets slow it down a lil bit,

i wouldn't give a artist a 50/50 split on nothing, if i'm fronting all the money. or have a partnership on the DBA. a first time artist on a indi label should get 10% royalties. but to answer your question:
you wholesale the cd to blockbuster for $5.00 dollars and blockbuster sell the cd for $10.00 and you have a 50/50 split with your artist. you both will be splitting the wholesale price. because you have an investor agreement contract with your arist and not a artist contract. you set the retail price with the distributor not the store. the store only sell your cd at the distributor list price.

Back