Problem with Emu

K

koto

Hello,

I am pretty new to recording. I have been fooling around with the following software/hardware for a couple of months now and still can't get a clear sound,

1. Acid Pro
2. Emu 0404 (with Patch Mix DSP)
3. Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer
4. AKG 3000 mic

I have recorded and it sound pretty good, but I know it could be a lot better. The software (Patch Mix) is ok, but I can't seem to record what I am hearing. For some reason, for example, if I put on an effect like echo, I can hear it but not record it. So when I playback sound in acid pro it comes back without the sound effect.

I am sure it has something to do with the way I have the software set up in the program (Patch Mix) it is not sending the sound to Acid Pro.

Any advice on what I could do?

Thanks

Koto

IF YOU DOWNLOAD the newest drivers from www.emu.com it comes with something called "power fx" which is something that lets u use all of your DSP effects as a vst plugin in your program. i never knew how to fuvk with that patchmix stuff anyway..

-grissom

Set the effect on the input channel.

But it's better to record the signal dry and then add effect later in case you change your mind about the effect that you are using.

^^^ i didn't know that sleepy... so say id i put a compressor on there "input" would it be like compressing my vocals before they go into cubase before i record?

-Grissom

Gil Grissom said:
^^^ i didn't know that sleepy... so say id i put a compressor on there "input" would it be like compressing my vocals before they go into cubase before i record?

-Grissom
Ur right on. I used to do that when I used my 1212m. I dont like using the effects in that nature tho. u can run into issues similar to this thread. What Id suggest is just using ur effects in Acid and doing all the fx work there.

Gil Grissom said:

-Grissom

The important thing about using a hardware compressor is that it keeps your signal in check so as to not overload the analog to digital converters.

If you have a signal that would clip the converters and the compressor brings the signal down to a level that will not overload the converters then the signal will be recorded "hot" but not to the point of clipping.

If you have a loud signal that you are recording and that signal overloads your converters then you are compressing a clipped signal to lower levels. This is the same as pulling down the volume on the signal minus whatever character the compressor adds to the recording. And if your compressor settings were not too well you end up with a bad recording that you can't fix because the compression has already been applied.

Adding an effect in the digital domain within the computer while recording or after recording will give you the same result. Except that in one case you can change the settings of the effect and on the other you're stuck with what you have like it or not.

Back