Poor Mans Soundproofing

ANdre518

I went to see the movies Hustle & Flow the other day and in it they used the cup holders that you would get form a place like burger king that holds four cups and cover all the walls in the there studio with them and said it was the poor mans sound proofing do any of you know if this would really work

It wouldn't hurt because it's better than a flat wall. A flat wall will have alot of unwanted reflections whereas a wall with alot of different depths will trap the sound or diffuse it.

i was cetainly sure that a post asking stuff bout the movie hustle and flow was close to come. i bet in couple days we gon have pages full of threads bout things seemed in that movie. and all em kids wanting 2 b producers cuz it's the "cool thing to do" kinda like wut happened after the fast and the furious shortly after every1 tought they were street racers and could do the shyt that was in the movie, causing a lot of dumba$$ teenagers in the hospital

remember ppl it's only a movie.

But there is an element of truth to movies, its not like fast cars don't exist, or midnight illegal drag races in industrial areas. It's an exagerated story based on reality.

As for the sound absorption, it would work to an extent, but it obviously wouldn't look as cool as pro stuff. I don't know how much better auralex stuff is i just think it looks hot, too bad its so damn expensive.

Last edited:
Seriously? You think that stuff looks hotter than a poster or something? There's much better ways to decorate a studio or room. That stuff serves a great purpose, who cares what it looks like?

But I do agree with your statement about the element of truth to movies.

Last edited:
this is exactly like the egg carton myth. All they're really going to do is dampen some of the really high frequencies. They'll do more harm than good.

bottom line is....there is no such thing as "poor mans soundproofing"

you have to go all the way or nothing if you are trying to isolate a room. This means proper construction of a free floating room completely detached from the surrournding walls.

Acoustic treatment is a different story and i think that the term "soundproofing" is used in its place incorrectly on this forum. Soundproofing is isolating one room from the rest of the building.

Acoustic treatment is treating the inside of the room with various acoustic devices (acoustic foam, resonators, bass traps) to make the room sound a certain way.

........stay away from egg cartons and cardboard cupholders!!!!!!!

actually you can do this....

HPIM0275.jpg

======================================
HPIM0273.jpg

======================================

but before i get a flame war started here...lemme be absolutely clear .. that is not aurelex ( www.auralex.com )
it is not studio foam ... its family dollar foam padding ... 2 layers .. it DOES NOT MAKE THE ROOM SOUND PROOF ...
the only way to have a COMPELETE sound proof room is loads of $$$ depending on the room you may not need a sound proofing treatment .. i mixdown in this room and the foam helped with bass reflection and high frequency dispersion but you can still feel the bottom end throughout the house ... but in the room the sound is really flat because it has no hard surface to reflect off of ... if you are attempting to put lyrics down .. a closet with the same inexpensive treatment or some old shag carpet will do the trick nicely ...

i think alot of us are confused with SOUNDPROOF and a SOUND TREATMENT soundproof leads one to believe you could have a semi concert in your studio and no1 could hear it but you...this is a very daunting task even in multi million dollar studios..
a sound treatment helps a room to sound better and can be accomplished with inexpensive materials and a little experimenting... the cardboard treatment..i wouldn't recommend it simply because there no absorbment properties in cardboard ....now if you can get some cardboard..and possibly mount some foam to it this will work loads better then str8 cardboard...

of course this is my humble opinion..i dont know how big your space is or how small but i would say if you can find some old carpet like at a second hand store .. or some of the foam as i have used you will get a much better result than the cardboard

yeah I actuall just got 3 queen size mattress toppers just to help lower the sound in my closet (Yup my vocal booth is in the closet), and it really helps. It also helps with the vocals alot. It may not be anything crazy, but it helps with what I needed it to.

why would anyone want to hang blankets and dovets onto their wall? What do you producers sleep with?

I put 43 layers of wallpaper on mine. It took a while but its good.

Dongle Dik said:
why would anyone want to hang blankets and dovets onto their wall? What do you producers sleep with?

I put 43 layers of wallpaper on mine. It took a while but its good.

well ... 43 layers .. thas alotta work ...what are the acoustics like...theres nuttin really there to absorb the sound energy???

BTW i sleep in a waterbed .. da betta' ta get my freak on lol

Like some one said earlier matresses are a really good idea, I was watching Lil John's crib and his vocal booth was surrounded by a matress, and if its good enough for lil john........ Once there is alot of base though there is no way of preventing it from travelling to other rooms of floors you can only deadn the sound a bit. Ive given up, i just moniter through headphones and play it back in a car so i dont have to worry about all that any more.

^^^^^^co-sign.

I'm setting up an studio and my biggest concern is acoustic issues. Stuff like that helps

no doubt I'm glad you guys liked the link I'm definitely working on doing stuff like what it says in the article to improve my mixing environment...

Peace

I'm lucky enough to be starting with bare cinderblock walls so I have a good place to start and I can follow suggestions like that

Back