Plugging synths to my PC USB interface causes NOISE! Also cable confusion.,

bussy233

edit: Plugging synths to my PC USB interface causes NOISE! Also cable confusion., - KVR Audio Forum

I have this USB interface:
Roland - DUO-CAPTURE | USB Audio Interface

There is distortion/noise not matter what settings/buttons on the interface I do. For guitar I was using a 'noisy pickups' fender strat type guitar and it wasn't too bad but still hearing some noise and it does that stupid thing where you have to be like facing a certain direction or the noise is really bad, IDK, I'm not playing guitar or buying a new guitar until I figure other things out first, so maybe that'll be yet another help wanted thread.

Anyway, if I plug headphones (KRK KNS 8400 $150 studio monitoring, pretty good headphones) directly to a synth like a Roland MC-505, JP-8000 etc, the sound is perfectly clear as expected. It seems I can sort of get the interface to be noise-free if I get the IN volume slider perfectly set and the OUTPUT volume slider, and also the Volume knob on the synth itself, but there's still some noise and if I change to another preset patch it often has to be perfectly reset again or it'll sound distorted and show/blink red light on the interface.

I was told this interface is as clear as audio can be. I'm willing to upgrade but unsure if necessary but something's not right.

For cables I made this thread a while ago and got good help but still unsure.
did I connect cables correct? mono out to stereo jack to mono adapter? - Gearslutz

I was told if playing Stereo through the interface to use STEREO BREAKOUT CABLE. I bought the HOSA CMP-159 which has 1/8 TRS to plug into the interface's 1/8, and then the two 1/4" TS male plugs go into the R and L on the synth.

The CMP-159 cable seems to be broken. I barely used it and it's been stored in a box I must have checked it working decent originally though. No matter what button/slider combination I select on the interface I just makes very bad noise, I get no sound at all from the synth, and if not even pressing a key it's just noise. If I don't even connect the other end to the synth all I hear is this loud noise. I tried using an adapter to make it 1/4" and use 1/4" input on the interface but still get just noise.

The 1/4" interface port labeled MIC/GUITAR works with synths for a mono signal except as mentioned I still get some noise.
For this 1/4 cable I was told to use a 1/4 male both ends, Guitar AKA PATCH CABLE/INSTRUMENT CABLE, UNBALANCED 2 CONDUCTOR TS cable. There are 2 black rings on the 1/4 plugs but I guess it's still a mono signal because I'm plugging it from the HEADPHONES port on the synth (or the mono).

I just want to get the same clean signal to the computer as I do when plugging headphones directly into a synth.
Any help?. I hate this shjt with these cables etc, sorry. bless you!

Last edited:
Back