please help........ready to give up !

1900hustla

was up guys,
can someone please help me in the way music is actually made? my current set up is a mpc2xl, microkorg and a mixer as well as my turntable and mixer setup. im having a really hard time getting my beats to sound rite. i tried adjusting the notes but i still cant get it. i have a love for music and really want to excel in what i do.. can someone please help me or give me some advice. i am really starting to get discouraged! also what is the process as far as making a actual song? is the whole song made on my mpc or jus the hook and main verse section then put together with logic or protools? i know the mpc has a song mode but it doesnt sound rite when i loop it. can any of the advanced members please help....
thanks in advance

Keep tryin and then when u give up, to help the cause send that microkorg or that mpc to this young and poor and underjunded 12 yearold producer eh!

Maby try using a sequencer like cubase or even acid. Once you get your loops together, its all about just placing them in the right way. Thats how I look at it.

1900hustla said:
... i have a love for music and really want to excel in what i do.. can someone please help me or give me some advice. ...

Let's explore this a bit and see if you can get pointed in the right direction.

Forgive me if I get a little philosophical here. Youe say you "have a love for music". OK ... cool enough. The thing is, I could probably walk up to the next 100 people I meet on the street and ask them if they "love music", and almost everybody would say "yes".

The reason why I am bringing this up is that it matters what kind of "love" you have for music.

Did you know that musicians brains are actually wired differently than non-musicians? I'm not kidding, they can do CAT-Scans and MRIs, EEGs, etc. and show that when a musician listens to a piece of music, the pattern of brain activity is completely different than that of a non-musician.

Now, you might say to yourself "Damn, what if I'm not wired that way?" The good news is that the more you work at it, the more your brain "rewires" itself to deal with musical information.

Now, you say you want to excel at making music, right? Let's explore that for a moment.

Lot's of people "love" cars. But people who want to excel at being a mechanic or a professional racecar driver are sortof in a different league, right?

What's the difference? Effort ... plain old day-after-day, year-after-year work. Lots of it.

So, here's the deal. People take years to learn to play the piano, guitar, trumpet, etc. at a professional level.

Whether anybody clued you in to this idea or not, your MPC2000l and MicroKorg are musical instruments. It might take weeks or years before you can do anything worth a damn.

Take some piano lessons, or drum lessons, or something to jack your brain in the right direction.

Yes, I know it's frustrating, because it seems like some people instantly just "get it" from day one. Don't worry about them. Worry about you, and how you are gonna get from where you are now to where you want to be.

Learn your gear, learn music theory, practice, and listen to lots of music. There are no hard fact methods to creating any artform, anyone who tells you this, is a lie, and it goes against any logical definition of "art". There are no correct reasons for doing art, so if you want to do it, learn it, and do it, and steer clear of others who tell you otherwise. Art is a life long learning process, there are no gurus, only other artists.

There are things you should know, which are the foundations and conventions of music, and these are music theory and how to use your tools. Study your intended genre of music, listen to what they do, then go back to the classical genres and round your understanding to apply them to your musical goals.

dansgold said:
Did you know that musicians brains are actually wired differently than non-musicians?

WOW! We're..like.....differently wired or something. You must be a scientist of the mind or whatever.

A Brain Doctor of people.

I took an scan this morning. Suffice it to say I am not *sniffle* a musician. I shall be selling my equipment in the next fortnight.

Back