Please Explain the Difference Between Granting Exclusive Rights and Leasing a Beat

Steve Sage

I'm looking for these types of contracts:

(1) LEASING RIGHTS: The artist is able to use the beat for only one profitable commercial purpose (album, tv, radio play, live show, etc), and it can be resold/leased to other artists. Also, the artist has to give credit to the Producer's work

(2) EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS: The artist is able to use the beat for all profitable commercial purposes (album, tv, radio play, live show, etc), and it cannot be resold/leased to other artists. Also, the artist has to give credit to the Producer's work.

Question:
1. Does a producer usually ask for a royalty of a leased or exclusively sold beat?

Any ideas? :)

Last edited:
search this forum for these contracts..we have posted plenty of them..

its no need to ask for royalties on a lease at all...and it uslely is requested on exclusive license if you feel the artist is goin to do something big that would be worth a royality in return..

i have it on my agreement, after the unit sales of 2,000 units then royalties will be paid..

its all on the agreement you and your client comes up with..you should treat every artist different..

IMO

Back