Piano Facts for beginners like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonKossKang

Ozagas
Ill put a list of stuff that makes learning piano easier from ****ing around with it in zebra.ten things ive learned I think:
  1. The first lone BLACK note is also A sharp,so anything left of it is a natural A
  2. ALL Double BLACK notes are C and D SHARP/D and E FLAT
  3. ALL Triple BLACK notes is F,G,A SHARP
  4. Double WHITE notes to the left of the DOUBLE BLACK keys are ALWAYS B,C
  5. Double WHITE notes to the right of the DOUBLE Black keys are always E,F
  6. D is always located in between the Double BLACK keys
  7. A is ALWAYS to the right of the middle Black key in the Triple black
  8. 88 key is the easiest to use because there is less limitations than the 76 key one.
  9. All notes that have the same letter have the same SOUND in a DIFFERENT PITCH
  10. You can use the black keys to find White keys easier because of this stuff
Is this correct or was that pure baka?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Ok lemme add some more things to this list.

"chords" are 3 notes and like i said earlier,identical letters will sound exactly the same but in a different pitch/tone
like eh...A,C,E Middlerange (i still cant read symbols so ill just give em my nicknames)

Play another three notes but they ot to be the same thing like Bass A,C,E or treble A,C,E to understand whats goin on alittle bit.
The first note on a real piano is always A,last is Always a C

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

To make playing this big Ass thing easier i suggest you sit in some type of chair,and have your left arm in the second Triple black while having your right arm in the area of the 5th/6th triple black notes so you can reach notes alittle bit faster.

Could be wrong about this though.I'll keep adding to this thread to try and help myself/you guys out if you are like me and literally just got an 88 key midi keyboard a month ago.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Another little thing ive noticed,most songs start with a C note almost every time so i think you guys already know what C sounds like,so just keep pressing the keys of the piano in an order to learn the sounds of each letter.like eh...

For instance press A all the way to the left,then keep pressing each A till you remember their sound,then learn B's sound,then C etc.
I believe they call that "learning by ear"

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Now if you are trying to play a midi keyboard without even looking at the notes i cant help you with that,i guess that will have to be a self taught thing for you guys.Damn wait a second i forgot to mention something,if your computer has more than a 700mhz cpu download a program called pianissimo so you can practice as loud as you want without disturbing your family,it emulates a real grand piano and sounds DECENT compared to the real thing.this WILL NOT sound as rich as a real piano because its 80 mb,but it sounds good.

Last edited:
88 key keyboard is being discussed.

The first black note at the left hand side of the piano keyboard is A#/Bb

This makes the white note to the left of it, A (also the lowest (or left-most) note on the keyboard) and the white note the right of it B

All pairs of black notes, between three white keys are C#/Db and D#/Eb.

This makes the three white notes from left to right, C, D and E

The group of three black notes, between four white keys are F#/Gb, G#/Ab. A#/Bb

This makes the four white notes from left to right, F, G, A, B

Playing notes together will create diads (simple two (di) note intervals) or triads (three (tri) note chords) or larger chords or clusters of notes.

beyond this take some time to learn the proper names, your dad will respect you more and the musicians you work with will at least understand what you are talking about......

ok,what else...?

Ah ok,there are some good tutorials on youtube from some guys,but for me they didnt explain it too well(for me) but you guys might have a different experience with it.

If you use fl studio,the C3(main note) is C5(i find this retarded)
In ableton or reason i think c3 is still a c3.

a real piano has 88 keys so i think that is 7 1/4 octaves.
60 keys have a max of...i believe like 4 or 5.
49 keys is probably 3 or 4.
I highly recommend (again) you get a 88 key or atleast a 76 key midi keyboard/piano(again trust me,it's bigger but less complicated)

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

ok im trying to make a thread with this info so nobody has to look everywhere on the net lol.Basically im trying to compile all of that stuff into one long thread (if its already been done sorry)

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 PM ----------

A black note to the RIGHT o a white note is a...Sharp i believe while to the LEFT is...a flat.probably.like if you are moving from left to right with the black notes you are (i'll just say sharpening)and if you are moving backwards(right to left) you are flatlining/flattening/flattering.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

one sec dudes.

After looking at all of this piano hell,i understand why most of it's used the way it is in music.its basically the old way of arranging things simpler.it seems to be a system for well,helping those arrange sounds together slightly better than the previous.heh, well this is just my opinion but:
learning notes on a piano actually helps you be able to use more than one D.A.W. in conjunction with each other faster.
learning piano key sounds helps you lay out a melody alot,A LOT FASTER.this doesnt change your style it SPEEDS UP THE PROCESS OF FINDING THAT RYTHM TO JAM TO.

What else...?GOT IT one sec.

Ill put a list of stuff that makes learning piano easier from ****ing around with it in zebra.ten things ive learned I think:
  1. The first lone note is also A sharp,so anything left of it is a natural A
  2. ALL Double BLACK notes are C and D
  3. ALL Triple notes is F,G,A
  8. 88 key is the easiest to use because there is less limitations than the 76 key one.
Is this correct or was that pure baka?

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------

Ok lemme add some more things to this list.

"chords" are 3 notes and like i said earlier,identical letters will sound exactly the same but in a different pitch/tone
like eh...A,C,E Middlerange (i still cant read symbols so ill just give em my nicknames)

Play another three notes but they ot to be the same thing like Bass A,C,E or treble A,C,E to understand whats goin on alittle bit.
The first note on a real piano is always A,last is Always a C

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 PM ----------

To make playing this big Ass thing easier i suggest you sit in some type of chair,and have your left arm in the second Triple black while having your right arm in the area of the 5th/6th triple black notes so you can reach notes alittle bit faster.

Could be wrong about this though.I'll keep adding to this thread to try and help myself/you guys out if you are like me and literally just got an 88 key midi keyboard a month ago.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Another little thing ive noticed,most songs start with a C note almost every time so i think you guys already know what C sounds like,so just keep pressing the keys of the piano in an order to learn the sounds of each letter.like eh...

For instance press A all the way to the left,then keep pressing each A till you remember their sound,then learn B's sound,then C etc.
I believe they call that "learning by ear"

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Now if you are trying to play a midi keyboard without even looking at the notes i cant help you with that,i guess that will have to be a self taught thing for you guys.Damn wait a second i forgot to mention something,if your computer has more than a 700mhz cpu download a program called pianissimo so you can practice as loud as you want without disturbing your family,it emulates a real grand piano and sounds DECENT compared to the real thing.this WILL NOT sound as rich as a real piano because its 80 mb,but it sounds good.

I know how to play piano, and I'm looking at all this like....

The reason why there are sites like:
musictheory.net
Learn Piano Notes For Beginners – MyPianoLessons.net
and guys like this:

is so other absolute beginners don't have to waste time trying to understand crap like this:

1. The first lone note is also A sharp,so anything left of it is a natural A
  2. ALL Double BLACK notes are C and D
  3. ALL Triple notes is F,G,A

Last edited:
im an absolute beginner,what i typed was simple ash hell lol

Anyways im not done updating this and thank you for adding that video to this thing.Hm...I might have to turn this whole thread into a TXT file or soemthing :rolleyes:

Ok,from left to right is a regular book while going backwards is like reading well,manga.so for me i'll just do this:

Going up in pitch: Novel
Going down in pitch:Manga
I use that analogy because it seems simple to me,and since that guy's video helped out I now see my midi keyboard like a book now xD

Ok im running out of things to put cuz I said almost everything for the simple part,now to find every website with information about pianos ever.One Sec.

---------- Post added 05-21-2013 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-20-2013 at 11:33 PM ----------

:alcoholic:
  1. http://www.learningpiano.net/how-to-read-piano-notes.htm
  2. http://www.learningpiano.net/piano-keyboard-layout.htm
  3. (i cant understand this one)http://www.learningpiano.net/how-to-read-piano-tabs.htm
  4. http://www.learningpiano.net/how-to-read-piano-chords.htm
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano
    2. http://piano.com/
    3. http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=11970071

www.Pianomarvel.com
    This will be updated.

---------- Post added at 12:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Just noticed another pattern on the keyboard.

Ok how about this?

AB,then after that just keep doing CDE then FGAB.
    Ill say it again.AB is ONE TIME only.then CDE,FGAB 6 times then last is a C.(also one time only)

AGAIN:
    2 black notes will always have CDE white notes.so everytime you see 2 black notes together its CDE
    3 black notes will ALWAYS have FGAB as white notes.every time you see 3 black notes it's FGAB.

Last edited:
The easy way to remember the notes on the keyboard (for non-morons)

PianoNotes.gif

---------- Post added at 10:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Not to bring negativity and stuff but there are TONS of whole websites dedicated to this.. Not to mention youtube alone.. Why create a thread spewing out unstructured facts?

Seems like it would be exceedingly difficult to benefit from something like this. Just my two cents.

I agree. I think we need to rename this thread "How an absolute moron sees the piano."

I have to admit I am kind of weird lol.The way I remember it is that A is first then CDE,FGAB shows up after then takes over till it's just a C at the end.
Basically I remember it from Left to right,a to c

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

You aren't being negative man.I made this thread in hopes to have like one long sheet with a bunch of links and explanations I thought were simple then mesh all of those into one area for later use.basically my goal is to have this stuff,thena bunch of links all in one area so I don't have to bother with google anymore.

---------- Post added at 01:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 AM ----------

thanks for that video I didn't know C# and Dd was one note

Okay so from his video the B doesn't have sharp notes.Had to add that in.

And it seems E only has a flat and no sharp.

E probably doesn't have a sharp since its the end of CDE.
And B doesn't have the sharp because its the end of FGAB o_o
Damn there is a lot of extra stuff I didn't see earlier

Last edited:
That is just the perfect read for all the novices at the piano. Piano is really an amazing musical instrument and is equally difficult to play. You really need to read this before getting your hands on to a piano.

THIS IS THE UNORGANIZED VERSION OF WHAT IM TRYING TO ACHIEVE XD

think of this is like a brainstorm session about the basics of this.if you learn the piano notes you learned everything.guitar,bagpipes lol whatever.
This is the beta(unfinished thread,demo)
I plan on copy/pasting toa different thread then remove this one for a more organized look.

It will be a huge ass post from me lol

I'll say it again,this thread will be deleted by the 23rd and a slightly more organized version will take its place.There will be 3 sections in three different posts So I advise those not to comment in the new thread when it comes or else it'll get cluttered again lol

First part will be basics of piano layout.

second will be example websites put neatly.

third will be videos from the youtube.

I want these three in one area so ill try to do the best I can to help if I can and make this process as simple as can be.

Last edited:
THIS IS THE UNORGANIZED VERSION OF WHAT IM TRYING TO ACHIEVE XD

think of this is like a brainstorm session about the basics of this.if you learn the piano notes you learned everything.guitar,bagpipes lol whatever.
This is the beta(unfinished thread,demo)
I plan on copy/pasting toa different thread then remove this one for a more organized look.

It will be a huge ass post from me lol

I'll say it again,this thread will be deleted on the 23rd and a slightly more organized version will take its place,then those who find THAT one will put their stuff in to help out alittle more then ill delete that one and make a slightly better version of that on the 25th.
Look out folks,
impending spam doom.
Why not start a blog? Maybe you could call it "Piano for the total idiot", or "Moron Meets Piano: Watch Me Learn the Piano" No need to redundancy when we have Google, its not that hard to use.

Last edited:
I apologize for that,ill delete this one after I make a new thread.The reason I started this was to well,compile everything into one place because google has a lot of search results.ill try to improve on this and make it decent.

Ill call the new thread eh...something along the lines of what you just said lol that's actually a good title for it.

My goal is to try to make this as easy as learning the alphabet if I can.i cant just give up yet at least.

then after I do the piano thing then ill find a lot of synth websites so the others don't have to look for them and save themselves some time.

Drums...well yall can take care of the drums that should be second nature by now.

Last edited:
I apologize for that,ill delete this one after I make a new thread.The reason I started this was to well,compile everything into one place because google has a lot of search results.ill try to improve on this and make it decent.

Ill call the new thread eh...something along the lines of what you just said lol that's actually a good title for it.

My goal is to try to make this as easy as learning the alphabet if I can.i cant just give up yet at least.

How about we just not make any new threads?
It already is as easy as learning the alphabet. Reading endless, indecipherable posts from someone trying to grasp something as easy as the note names on the piano is not very helpful to someone who is an absolute beginner. A beginner trying to learn from reading your posts would be even more lost because none of it makes sense, which is why its better to leave it up to a google or youtube search. That way, they won't get confused trying to understand whatever it is you're attempting to convey.

Last edited:
well...that also makes sense.But ima have to still do the compiling thing for me because well,im trying to ween myself off of google and bing.
I understand how you feel about this but I still gotta do this type of thing to at least help myself out.like ive said earlier,im quite...off as some would put it. I need things in a type of way :p

however,the links you provided earlier were very helpful and shall be used extensively :p

Last edited:
The problem with this thread is that if the reader has anything other than an 88 key keyboard it is wrong - the reference points on most other size keyboards start at c at the leftmost note and move to a c as the rightmost note.

I agree with pump here, it will end up confusing more than helping, but it is also why I chipped in right at the start and laid out some corrections, at least in the way what was offered was worded, to eliminate possible sources of confusion,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back