Nominate a sticky!

sleepy

Any thread that you feel is helpful for beginners, post in here. I'll sticky a different one within a couple of days.

I want to get an idea of what people felt was helpful for them. I'd put a poll upafter and have people vote but that'd take too much time so I'll end up picking the thread out from the nominated threads. Might do all of them at different times depening on how many there are.

I thought the current sticky:

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210246

Was helpful and it kept with the spirit of the forum, which is why I sticki'ed it shortly after checking it out. Anyone can nominate. If any new member that can't post links yet wants to nominate, paste the thread title instead and I will search for it.

----------------------------

Freeware beat making tutorial!
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210246

There's no thread link, but a frequently asked question sticky would do some good. How do I program a synth sound from scratch, What are good magazines to read, What's the best software/hardware to start out with, etc. Some of the answers may be philosophical in nature, but basic recommendations can still be made (with links) and people asking the same questions over and over can be pointed to the F.A.Q. link instead of the same questions being answered over and over. People can add Questions and answers to it and the Mods can decide whether the Q&As are actually F.A.Q. worthy. It can eventually be cleaned up into a one-post locked sticky. I think Questions such as Reason vs. FL belong there with an answer of "Do your own research" with links to the two demos. Questions like sampling vs. composing and looping vs. sampling could also go there with an answer like "Do what feels right to you" or whatever.

It would probably help to cut the s/n ratio down.

I also think a lot of people on this site need a how to use google guide, but that might be beyond the scope of FP. Still, a link to one somewhere in the faq wouldn't hurt.

i think there should be stickied threads with links to sample packs, vst etc. itll stop a lot of the same questions being asked over n over

rayzer said:
i think there should be stickied threads with links to sample packs, vst etc. itll stop a lot of the same questions being asked over n over

I doubt it.

Most of the new guys wont even bother looking/searching. They want the help spoon fed to them. They wont even read a manual let alone a sticky.

Darko said:
There's no thread link, but a frequently asked question sticky would do some good. How do I program a synth sound from scratch, What are good magazines to read, What's the best software/hardware to start out with, etc. Some of the answers may be philosophical in nature, but basic recommendations can still be made (with links) and people asking the same questions over and over can be pointed to the F.A.Q. link instead of the same questions being answered over and over. People can add Questions and answers to it and the Mods can decide whether the Q&As are actually F.A.Q. worthy. It can eventually be cleaned up into a one-post locked sticky. I think Questions such as Reason vs. FL belong there with an answer of "Do your own research" with links to the two demos. Questions like sampling vs. composing and looping vs. sampling could also go there with an answer like "Do what feels right to you" or whatever.

It would probably help to cut the s/n ratio down.

I also think a lot of people on this site need a how to use google guide, but that might be beyond the scope of FP. Still, a link to one somewhere in the faq wouldn't hurt.
I've wanted to do an FAQ for a while now. Just takes up a lot of time. Maybe if users want to make up the questions and link to FP pages. The reason I mention FP pages is in case web pages die and the links become invalid. But I do agree with you. I'll set a thread up for suggestions eventually.

rayzer said:

Like this?

https://www.futureproducers.com/music_links.php

well, this isn't really a thread that helps newbies, but since so many people keep making "what's u'r pmp progress" threads without searching and finding existing ones, i nominate this thread:
https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200237&highlight=pmp

it's the most popular of all the pmp threads, and it's had more views than the "FP Shirts" thread! this way we won't be flooded with the same thread over and over.

also, i think someone who knows [more than me] about recording should make a thread telling people to stop recording and tracking out their stuff so hot! a thread that explains why u should leave headroom and how much is good enough. i hear so many beats posted over here that are clearly in the red.

Sorry, clicked the threads a few days back but forgot to reply. The PMP thread doesn't seem to be getting a lot of activity from when I last looked at it. Something technical, though not overly technical is preferred. The industry scene is way ahead of the topic.

Fataltone, your post is a little too general. Something a little more in depth is better. While a beat-making tutorial for beginners is general also, it gives people a good idea about what they can do, how, and what tools they need. I thought the current sticky was an excellent tutorial for beginners.

sleepy, i'm considering a series of videos explaining subtractive synthesis, since that seems to come up a lot.

i plan to go left to right and explain the different components and what they do in order (with examples of course), but would you have any additional suggestions?

hmmmm....

That would be pretty good. I hesitate to suggest, if it wasn't planned already, but raw waveform audio would be good when descriving the different type of waveforms available in Substractive Synths. Not that people can't pick up any freeware and many bundled Substractive Synth plugins and hear them on their own but many people don't. But to be fair, if a person doesn't know what to tweak to hear the raw waveform I do understand.

I'd say a big issue is mainly that people don't know which waveform to use for which type of sounds. Tweaking the filter is really the easy, and fun part. I can see where people could get lost in LFO's but at the end of the day, Substractive Synthesis is actually really simple. Just that all of the knobs in a synth can be overwhelming to people starting out.

So yes, that'd be pretty good. My only suggestion is the waveform examples. A realtime tweak might be helpful also so that people can hear how a raw waveform can become something else.

For this intent, simple and easy to follow is better. Dansgold has a nice thread in computers and other hardware that is sticky worthy also. I might have already sticki'ed it in there but if I haven't, I'll bring in into this forum next.

The Reason template, not really a fan personally. I'd say the included Reason sample songs show much more and much better to he honest.

The producer's names, not really helpful.

The sweetwater links, those are pretty nice. I like the Rick Rubin article, the sweetwater links go up next week.

Back