willmaticc

Any helpful tips and advice i can use for making beats i been at this for 3-4 months now. i have a hard time and get frustrated when i cant get a melody or lay down drums...... not asking for negative comments ..

Keep practicing.
The more you practice the better you'll become.

Even if you're not making music,Listen to music to study it,obtain music(to sample or just listen to) practice chopping samples.If you find a sample,chop it up and get back to it when you can,you don't have to use it right away.

Peace

Last edited:
do some reading

apply what you learn from the reading

write down what you like about your favourite tracks - grooves, instruments, melodies, chords whatever. Do some research and work out how they do it.

use that as a starting point for your next track

1. Listen to some of your favourite producers work and get ideas.

- I'm not talking listening to their songs and copying the melody. I mean, listening to their music to help generate ideas. For example, Dr. Dre uses loads of short simple piano samples in his beats.

2. Practise

- If you're having a hard time laying down a beat then it's obviously because you aren't familiar with the process involved. Once you get used to the basic 'kick - hat - snare' principle then you'll find it a lot easier, you might even benefit just from playing on a drum kit for a while. Jeeeze, whenI listen to the first beat I made and compare it to my most recent, the difference is phenomenal.

3. Research into it

- Do some reading on music production, or watch some YouTube videos on making beats, theres loads out there. I had a pretty general knowledge in music anyway, but I still learn a thing or two from watching videos that people have made.

4. It may not be your thing. :hmmm:

- In this case try out some other production techniques, or a different DAW, but otherwise - maybe you just aren't cut out for making beats, it's not unusual! If this is the case then take up some music lessons or something to extend your knowledge, it's not a problem!

Good Luck!

I've been makin beats for 3 months now and I know what you mean man
It's tough a lot of the times you just give up on your tracks
But I know I've gotten better because when I listen to my first songs I know I've gotten better
Just keep at it
Your brain has like a auto correct thing, Just keep at it and you will correct your mistakes
Look at tutorials on youtube and look for new vst's and samples to play with
I always use nexus and massive my favourite Vst's
Once you learn how to put something together with samples then try to make your own sounds (Start off light with this step)
Best of luck bro
Make music because you love it not for others =D

The key is never quitting it.

That sounds corny I know. But no one will EVER tell you verbally how to find your style. You only discover it through the frustrating process of failure. You have to teach your own ear what to listen for. By shear repetition for about a year you will grow by leaps and bounds. I will give a few small things that took me way too long to figure out.

Layer Drums. Don't spend too much time finding new sounds. You won't use very many to begin with anyway. But a way to change the monotony of those basic samples that come with your Vst and DAW is by layering your drums. It can create a new sound altogether.

Layer Strings and Chords.
Whether you sample or compose layering chords and strings can really separate yourself from your beginner's sound. You won't and shouldn't hear every string or instrument but it makes the lead or main instrument in a chord sound stronger or richer.

Keep effects to a minimum. Effects can really help your sound a ton. But 3 or 4 months in, you may or may not have a strong grasp of basic mixing ideas and really shouldn't focus on that in this phase. And without an understanding of that too many effects can make your song unpleasant to hear, no matter how musically sound it is. Don't worry about mixing quite yet. Focus on SONG STRUCTURE, CHORDS, MELODIES, NEW DRUM PATTERNS, GOOD CHOPS, TRANSITIONS, BRIDGES. The basics. Once you feel your strong with that then you can start diving into mixing and effects.

Once I understood those things, my sound grew alot. And early on, can give you a head start, if you haven't learned these things yet.

Back