Newbe wanting to get organized when it comes to storing songs and instrument mixes

alexlimbert

I am looking for some advice on some best ways to get organized with regard to keeping pieces of songs and instrument mixes organized as I write parts of songs and audition various virtual instrument presets. More specifically, when I write something I like and have a mix of virtual instruments that I really like, what are some best ways to catalog the parts of songs and instrument mixes to recall at a later date when you I come up with ideas for the rest of the song? Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you mean 'file management' in folders somewhere or do you mean within your DAW? Do you mean both? What DAW do you use?

I keep a file for ideas within certain styles if I don't do a lot of that style. I keep various ideas with a shared tempo sometimes. The rest are more thought out song files.
Can you clarify more of what you need help with?

Do you mean 'file management' in folders somewhere or do you mean within your DAW? Do you mean both? What DAW do you use?

I keep a file for ideas within certain styles if I don't do a lot of that style. I keep various ideas with a shared tempo sometimes. The rest are more thought out song files.
Can you clarify more of what you need help with?

Thank you Storm. I brainstormed a bit and think I came up with the following that helps me.

1. Bounce track to WAV in dropbox folder X with the name Y.wav
2. Take a screenshot of the virtual instruments and presets being used. Save it to dropbox folder X name Y.jpg
3. Save the midi clip(s) being used to dropbox folder X with the name Y - Drums.mid, Y - Melody.mid, etc.

The files are all together since they all have the same name from left to right, with only slight modifications towards the right side of the names.

Last edited:
Back