New here! Learn pop hit production, where to read/post?

PopHits

Hey all!

First post.

I'm interested in learning all about writing/producing top 40 radio hits and I'm wondering what part of the site I'd do best reading/posting to?

Didn't find any specific forum for that.

Best,

PopHits

Hi and welcome here.

How much knowledge do you have from before?

You're going to need to learn at least the basics of: music theory (chords, harmonies, scales) and then apply that knowledge in a DAW (digital audio workstation) that you choose. Then you need to learn about EQing, Compression, Reverb and delays etc. If you're a beginner with any of the effects then you'll probably overuse them in the beginning so some time of training is definitely required.

Hi thanks!

I should probably have written about my experience level, my bad.

I've been employed as a musician/singer/song-writer for the last 20 years but in a band setting.

I've toured the world and had no1 hits in several countries.

I've worked demoing tracks in logic for many years so I'm definitely familiar with it but never considered myself a producer at all.

But now I really want to get into writing pop-hits for others so I feel I need to learn how to produce in the pop-hit field and all the tricks of the pop hit makers like max martin etc.

Thanks for your response btw.

Thanks, since I want to stay anonymous I'll refrain from sharing my music but it's more in the indie rock genre.

Yes, I try to dissect the songs and on the song writing part I think I understand a bit but on the production side not so much so there's where I really need to learn a LOT.

When I say pop I mean list music in general but since I can't write rap tracks it's more of the Max Martin school of pop I'm talking about like Katy Perry, Maroon 5 etc.

I don't even know what Trap music is so...

Back